Game 8, South Fla, Dec 4th, 7 PM, MASN

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Anyway, I'm not looking for an excuse for last night. We lost the game, and Arledge isn't coming back. I just wanted to to chime in on this hypothetical debate for the fun of it.
Exactly... I didn't hear anyone making excuses or deifying Jon. It's interesting though to think about the difference he could have made in two very clise losses. Having him in the rotation gives an option other than Copes and J2, which could have been enough of a difference. No one said we needed a double double from him, but the games were so close that a few points from him could have been all the difference we needed. I also heard no one say he could have made a difference vs Iona.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

I don't want to get in the middle of whatever beef you have with Jon, but it's flat-out inaccurate to say he wouldn't be an upgrade over some of our current players. Copes and J2 combined for 1 frickin' point last night and really made no impact whatsoever on defense other than a block and a few rebounds. To say that Arledge wouldn't have produced more than one of them — or even both of them combined — is a tad misguided.

Anyway, I'm not looking for an excuse for last night. We lost the game, and Arledge isn't coming back. I just wanted to to chime in on this hypothetical debate for the fun of it.

Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true. I have no beef with Jon. I hope he gets his final year, blows up and has a 15 year NBA career. It wont change my life a bit.

Would Jon have kept Allen from getting his pocket picked TWICE for lay ups? Would have have kept the guards from making poor decisions in the half court offense? Perhaps he would have helped out stopping their guards from going to the rim whenever they wanted.

No one (not just you gmutom) has actually said they were thinking "boy...if only Arledge were on this team" when it was 53-36. So if they got up 17 without him...why shouldn't they be able to hold on without him as well? That's my point. Outplay a team for 28 minutes and get up 17 it shouldn't matter if a guy that hasn't played since game 1 isn't around anymore.

Will we hear the same excuse in February if we drop a close game? Cause if so, tell me now and I'll be sure to say my farewells to any decent game thread discussion.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Last year's final 10 games for Arledge:
Total Points avg 12.5 Rebounds avg 5.8
Santa Clara 16
Santa Clara 4
Santa Clara 21
Western Michigan 23
Houston 11
College of Charleston 11
Northeastern 10
Drexel 6
Deleware 6
Towson 17

Rebounds
Santa Clara 7
Santa Clara 2
Santa Clara 8
Western Michigan 5
Houston 9
College of Charleston 5
Northeastern 5
Drexel 8
Deleware 5
Towson 4

Not to mention his Free-Throw % which we could use a little of now.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
In the grand scheme of things it would have been nice to have a healthy Arledge as a piece of the puzzle.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true. I have no beef with Jon. I hope he gets his final year, blows up and has a 15 year NBA career. It wont change my life a bit.

Would Jon have kept Allen from getting his pocket picked TWICE for lay ups? Would have have kept the guards from making poor decisions in the half court offense? Perhaps he would have helped out stopping their guards from going to the rim whenever they wanted.

No one (not just you gmutom) has actually said they were thinking "boy...if only Arledge were on this team" when it was 53-36. So if they got up 17 without him...why shouldn't they be able to hold on without him as well? That's my point. Outplay a team for 28 minutes and get up 17 it shouldn't matter if a guy that hasn't played since game 1 isn't around anymore.

Will we hear the same excuse in February if we drop a close game? Cause if so, tell me now and I'll be sure to say my farewells to any decent game thread discussion.
Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true. Nobody said Jon would make this an NCAA or even NIT quality team, just speculated that he could had stolen us one or two wins so far. Or maybe someone did say that and I just skimmed over it... in which case I apologize

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Arledge would have had a chance to help us because on a certain percentage of those possessions we blew late, the ball would have gone to him instead of the player who missed the shot or turned it over. It could be addition by subtraction, just keeping the ball away from someone else. Maybe Jon blows all the same plays, but maybe he doesn't. Maybe he takes and makes that jumper Copes missed, and makes one of the FT J2 missed, and we win by 3 after USF misses a trey at the buzzer.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I think all we're saying is Arledge would have been nice to have and could only have helped us more, not hurt us.

Scythe

Starter
Wow, boy am I glad I've been spending the week with Mickey Mouse and not watching this nonsense....Although I guess you could saying everyone on the boards has also been watching something Mickey Mouse in nature.

"Oh, Toodles!" -- only those with kids will get this....

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Wow, boy am I glad I've been spending the week with Mickey Mouse and not watching this nonsense....Although I guess you could saying everyone on the boards has also been watching something Mickey Mouse in nature.
Buahahahaha, well played sir!