Game 8, South Fla, Dec 4th, 7 PM, MASN

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The extra shot with the foot looked completely intentional and made no sense. I understand he was frustrated but his frustration wasn't even with the dude he stepped on. Very, very frustrating decision. And it's not even like a Skinn losing his mind becayse he didn't want to lose... we were up big late in the game.

Further proves, imo, that AO thinks about AO and not the team. If he cared about the team he might play more. If I lose my temper and do something stupid because I want my team to win, it was dumb. If I do something stupid because fouls are not being called in my favor while in the middle of a convincing win, I'm dumb and selfish.

Before the board police jump on me, I'm not trying to comment on AO's character overall. Just venting my frustration about this one bad choice. I will, however, say that he has seemed selfish with the basketball before. While he seems to be Mr. Hustle, and that's a good thing, it also seems that some of his dumbest plays come from trying to get his points rather than trying to help the team.

Just one fan's perspective based on watching the games. Don't claim to know the kid or anything about him

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Patriotfan49

Starter
The team really needs to stop switching on every screen. Jalen did the best he could on guarding Allen Jr driving to the basket but he still had a open lane to drive to get in rhythm.

This has been said for some time, and it kills us every game. At a critical point last night, Marko was left on Allen and Allen blew by him and nobody bothered to help in the lane.

What do you think is going to happen when Marko is on a guy like that? Were just lucky it wasnt an and 1.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Just curious for those who were at the game: was there booing at any point? the end?

It seemed like everyone was so frustrated with the refs booing was towards them. Most fans seemed to throw their hands up at how Mason lost since we've all seen this before.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
There was a lot of booing directed toward the refs earlier in the game. At the very end everyone was standing and cheering the defense, then staring numbly at the court in silence.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The team really needs to stop switching on every screen. Jalen did the best he could on guarding Allen Jr driving to the basket but he still had a open lane to drive to get in rhythm.
I agree, that concept is flawed. However, our current players are good enough to fight through screens and stay with their man. If they don't switch, the guy with the ball will just get an easy path to the rim. Whats ironic, is that happens anyway.....
Our guards can't stop anyone, even when playing a 2-3 zone. But last night the guys up front were so wide and way too far out, IMO. I've been asking for a zone for a while, but even when they play it, they can't execute it properly. Given our current roster, a bad zone is better than playing bad man-to-man. Its the lesser of two evils.....it's like being the tallest midget.........

Had that conversation at Brions last night with another poster. Would that game and one or two others been a 'W' with a healthy Arledge? My answer would be a yes.

Not that I'm grading, but this team would have the exact same record with Arledge as they do without Arledge. One guy (unless his name is MJ) doesn't change the outcome of those losses.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Not that I'm grading, but this team would have the exact same record with Arledge as they do without Arledge. One guy (unless his name is MJ) doesn't change the outcome of those losses.

Possibly and we will never know. This team clearly needs help.

But, losing a starting senior forward is probably worth at least a point and doesn't require MJ.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023

That makes zero sense. I'm convinced you have something against Arledge.

If Arledge was healthy having someone else who could average close to a double-double and be a legit inside scoring threat could have helped and made our team better. When healthy: Arledge > Copes, Jalen, J2 and is comparable to Marko.

I have nothing against Arledge, but if you think he would have made a difference against the beat down Iona put on us or the way Princeton carved us up, you're crazy.

Arledge isn't an inside scoring threat, he's a 6'9 guy that likes to shoot jumpers. His career was mediocre save for one 3 month stretch made possible by J2's injury. He didn't beat anyone out, he had to start and get those minutes. He took advantage of that, but let's not make him out to be Will Thomas or Jai Lewis or any other recent legit double double threat.

This team is 5-3 and they earned that 5-3 mark. No refs, no missing players, no nothing.

Possibly and we will never know. This team clearly needs help.

But, losing a starting senior forward is probably worth at least a point and doesn't require MJ.

Ok...would Alredge have stopped Iona from starting out 30-5? Would he have kept Princeton from carving us up? How about stopping the drives from Allen Jr last night? When did he become this defensive stopper? They lose the game to Iona and Princeton regardless. They were CRUISING against South Florida without Arledge there. I never knew Jon was the heart and soul of this team.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I have nothing against Arledge, but if you think he would have made a difference against the beat down Iona put on us or the way Princeton carved us up, you're crazy.

I hate to pile on, but we definitely would have won last night with Arledge. I completely agree with you on the Iona and Princeton games, but we got no frontcourt scoring last night other than Marko.

If Arledge was healthy, he'd be playing at least 25 minutes a game and averaging at least 8 or 9 points a game. Right now J2 is playing many more minutes than he should be out of necessity, but I'm hoping that Jenkins starts to steal some of those away.

I hate to pile on, but we definitely would have won last night with Arledge. I completely agree with you on the Iona and Princeton games, but we got no frontcourt scoring last night other than Marko.

If Arledge was healthy, he'd be playing at least 25 minutes a game and averaging at least 8 or 9 points a game. Right now J2 is playing many more minutes than he should be out of necessity, but I'm hoping that Jenkins starts to steal some of those away.

So Mason would have been up 20? 25? with Jon playing. The Patriots were up by 17!! and blew the lead. Sorry, if they hold on and win that game last night, NONE of you would be saying "well, if JA had played, I bet we win by 10 or 12, not 3 or 4".

No one said after Iona or Princeton "if Jon played, we win" but you say it now? Not buying it. Arledge was not a difference maker.

It's bogus. Stop making excuses. This team is exactly what their record should be.

And who exactly made the statement that he was???

I do think his presence would be worth 3 points, and that' the difference in the game.

No the difference in the game was their inability to suck it up and not blow a 17 point lead on their home court. They needed someone to step up and grab someone by the throat and say "we aren't going to lose this game". Instead, they sulked their way to a 23-1 run and ultimately blew a 17 point lead at home.

Where you wishing Arledge was playing when it was 53-36? Doubtful.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Arledge would have been another solid piece to the puzzle. Another option on offense when other guys stall out or if we need someone to put the ball in the hole. J2 and Copes clearly can't and probably never will. Having that core three of Sherrod, Allen, and Arledge on offense would have been nice...and the emergence of Marko would have added another solid scoring option. I never said he was a defensive stopper - nobody on our team is.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Arledge was not a difference maker.

I don't want to get in the middle of whatever beef you have with Jon, but it's flat-out inaccurate to say he wouldn't be an upgrade over some of our current players. Copes and J2 combined for 1 frickin' point last night and really made no impact whatsoever on defense other than a block and a few rebounds. To say that Arledge wouldn't have produced more than one of them — or even both of them combined — is a tad misguided.

Anyway, I'm not looking for an excuse for last night. We lost the game, and Arledge isn't coming back. I just wanted to to chime in on this hypothetical debate for the fun of it.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If the second is true, then probably shouldn't say the first.
I disagree. Speculation is what thw boards are all about and I made it clear iy was opinion based only on what I see on the court. I have no right to judge the kid as a person, but every right to speculate on his performance.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk