Game 5: GMU (4-0) at JMU (3-0) on Friday, November 19, at 7PM.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
If we need to do one thing based on this game, it is to work on our offensive execution in the face of a high pressure defense.
I agree. We know we'll face that type of defense twice against vcu--even though the Rams are struggling, it's mostly on the offensive end. Watched enough of their game with UT-C yesterday and saw their high pressure, 3/4 zone press once again. Probably even more intense than the last couple of years as they need turnovers to create transition baskets with their set offense woes.

Surely other teams will notice on film how we struggled against it I don't know UW's style of play, but with their top 25 defensive turnover rate (Kenpom), I wouldn't be surprised to see it as soon as Monday night.

For now, I'm writing off the JMU game as being due to the lack of time to prepare for that pressure (although I don't honestly know if Madison had been doing that in previous games this year). Either way, the JMU coach gets some credit for playing a defense that took us out of our game and it wasn't clear to me that we adjusted to it.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
GMUBrian, I think you are the one that said I had a "terrible take" in my post when I said the loss to JMU took some of the shine off our UMD win. I still don't think it was a terrible take, but I admit it was a disappointment of the moment take. You are right, it was a great win, and one of the best in our history, and with the JMU loss fading further into the past, I'm now appreciating the win's significance, both for this season as well as for things going forward.
My bad, friend.
For the record, it was the other guy who used the pattern gmu<insert real name here> for their username. But, glad to see you are coming around.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The CAA is a joke. I can understand them not wanting JMU to win any of their automatic bids. I don't agree with it (and didn't agree with it when it happened to us), but I understand it. But to now pull as many JMU hoops games off TV as they can is just ridiculous.
Did JMUs president decide that Okie St would be banned from postseason for a couple hundred dollars. You reap what you sow sometimes. Although this is petty BS agreed

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
The CAA is a joke. I can understand them not wanting JMU to win any of their automatic bids. I don't agree with it (and didn't agree with it when it happened to us), but I understand it. But to now pull as many JMU hoops games off TV as they can is just ridiculous.

It didn't happen to us...since we don't have football we were able to move the same year we announced the move.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It didn't happen to us...since we don't have football we were able to move the same year we announced the move.
no, we didnt/don't have football but I know the baseball team (and possibly other spring sports) were not allowed to participate in their respective CAA tournaments. So the "us" meant Mason athletics as a whole, not specifically basketball. And correct me if I'm wrong, but we announced after the basketball tournament, yes?

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
no, we didnt/don't have football but I know the baseball team (and possibly other spring sports) were not allowed to participate in their respective CAA tournaments. So the "us" meant Mason athletics as a whole, not specifically basketball. And correct me if I'm wrong, but we announced after the basketball tournament, yes?

Ah did not realize that...had my basketball blinders on. But yeah we announced March 25, 2013 and were full a10 members on July 1 of that year.