Game 4: GMU (2-1) at Paradise Jam vs Boston College (2-1) on Friday, November 18, at 8:00 PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If we beat Boston College we will advance to the champion bracket and play the winner of the Belmont - Tarleton St. game on Sunday, November 20, at 8PM.
If we lose to Boston College we will play the loser of Belmont - Tarleton St. on Saturday, November 19 at 5:45 PM.

Ken Pom: Gives us a 46% chance of winning.
GMU - 95
Boston College - 107

The Eagles were picked to finish 13th in preseason ACC polls. So, the bar is set pretty low for Boston College. They have no one picked to earn any ACC honors with the exception of 6’6” Prince Aligbe who received one vote for preseason rookie of the year.

Last year Boston College finished 13-20 (6-14). So far this year they are 2-0.

They are 2-1 at home, 0-0 on the road, and 0-0 at neutral sites.

Wins: Cornell (79-77) and Detroit Mercy (70-66).
Losses: Maine

The Eagles are led by 6’3” Makai Ashton-Langford (15.0 ppg), 6’9” T.J. Bickerstaff (10.0 ppg & 10.3 reb), 6’2” Jaeden Zackery (12.7 ppg), 6’4” Mason Madsen (9.3 ppg), and 6’7” CJ Penha (9.3 ppg). 9 Eagles average double figure minutes.

The Eagles average 71.0 points per game while allowing 70.7. They are shooting 43.2% from the floor and 30.5% from 3. Opponents are shooting 43.6% from the field and 35.8% from 3. The Eagles shoot 60.8% from the free throw line and have averaged 12.7 turnovers.

Schedule: https://bceagles.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://bceagles.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://bceagles.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022/pdf

The game is on ESPN 3.

My prediction: Any win over an ACC team is a good one. Boston College has not impressed thus far. Nor have we. All that being said. GMU 78 - 73 to advance to the winners bracket.

Discuss.

2022ParadiseJamBracket.png

Last edited by a moderator:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If we beat Boston College we will advance to the champion bracket and play the winner of the Belmont - Tarleton St. game on Sunday, November 20, at 8PM.
If we lose to Boston College we will play the loser of Belmont - Tarleton St. on Saturday, November 19 at 5:45 PM.

Boston College plays Maine on Monday night. I will update their record and stats Tuesday morning.

Ken Pom: Gives us a 46% chance of winning.
GMU - 97
Boston College - 82

The Eagles were picked to finish 13th in preseason ACC polls. So, the bar is set pretty low for Boston College. They have no one picked to earn any ACC honors with the exception of 6’6” Prince Aligbe who received one vote for preseason rookie of the year.

Last year Boston College finished 13-20 (6-14). So far this year they are 2-0.

They are 2-0 at home, 0-0 on the road, and 0-0 at neutral sites.

Wins: Cornell (79-77) and Detroit Mercy (70-66).
Losses:

The Eagles are led by 6’3” Makai Ashton-Langford (13.5 ppg), 6’9” T.J. Bickerstaff (12.5 ppg & 10.5 reb), 6’2” Jaeden Zackery (12.5 ppg), 6’4” Mason Madsen (11.0 ppg), and 6’7” CJ Penha (10.0 ppg). 8 Eagles average double figure minutes.

The Eagles average 74.5 points per game while allowing 71.5. They are shooting 43.9% from the floor and 31.7% from 3. Opponents are shooting 43.1% from the field and 36.9% from 3. The Eagles shoot 62.5% from the free throw line and have averaged 16.0 turnovers. Boston College has out rebounded opponents by 2.5 boards per game.

Schedule: https://bceagles.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://bceagles.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://bceagles.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022/pdf

The game is on ESPN 3.

My prediction: Any win over an ACC team is a good one. Boston College has not impressed thus far. Nor have we. All that being said. GMU 78 - 73 to advance to the winners bracket.

Discuss.
They have been missing two starters all year so far due to injury. Bickerstaff also got hurt last game but idk an update. If they trot out the same roster they had on Friday I feel really good about our chances. BC is a bottom 5 Power 5 basketball school and this should be easily winnable

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This is a very important game and will send the trend for the rest of the tournament. This also will only help Mason's postseason chances if Mason wins, and could be really detrimental if Mason loses.

BC is currently 82 in Kenpom, while Mason is 96 in Kenpom. This is one of those games that Mason needs to have for a lot of reasons that we have already talked about at length. They squeaked by their buy games.

FWIW the game after, Belmont is 136 while Tarleton is 203.

I really hope the Mason gets better neutral tournaments going forward, because this one could shape up to be a real stinker.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
They have been missing two starters all year so far due to injury. Bickerstaff also got hurt last game but idk an update. If they trot out the same roster they had on Friday I feel really good about our chances. BC is a bottom 5 Power 5 basketball school and this should be easily winnable
Until we prove ourselves, I am afraid to say any game is easily winnable. I'm still holding my breath against every opponent. Hopefully it won't be long before I can stop doing that.

FreeGunston12

All-American
This is a very important game and will send the trend for the rest of the tournament. This also will only help Mason's postseason chances if Mason wins, and could be really detrimental if Mason loses.

BC is currently 82 in Kenpom, while Mason is 96 in Kenpom. This is one of those games that Mason needs to have for a lot of reasons that we have already talked about at length. They squeaked by their buy games.

FWIW the game after, Belmont is 136 while Tarleton is 203.

I really hope the Mason gets better neutral tournaments going forward, because this one could shape up to be a real stinker.
Most important game of the noncon. To drop out of the winners side of the bracket could decimate our SOS.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Most important game of the noncon. To drop out of the winners side of the bracket could decimate our SOS.
Completely agree. Have to hope we don’t touch Howard Buffalo or Tartleton state.

just for reference, here are the other Kenpom Rankings as of the moment.

Drake 72
wyoming 80
howard 247
buffalo 209

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I suppose this tournament is at least a step up from last year's, the "Boost South Dakota State's SOS Classic."

It's a step in the right direction toward our ultimate goal: playing in (and winning!) the Diamond Head Classic every year.

**Edit** We can play in the Maui Invitational sometimes too

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I suppose this tournament is at least a step up from last year's, the "Boost South Dakota State's SOS Classic."

It's a step in the right direction toward our ultimate goal: playing in (and winning!) the Diamond Head Classic every year.

**Edit** We can play in the Maui Invitational sometimes too
Washington, SDSU and Nevada much better than what we could potentially get with a loss to BC... Wyoming without their best player till conference season as well and just lost to a horrible SELA team. This tourney is potentially HORRIBLE if we lose to BC

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
BC is NOT good and that is a good thing. They barely beat Cornell and won on a fluke 3 against Detroit Mercy (both at home). They are severely injured right now with 3 starters not playing the first two games and Bickerstaff got carried off late in the Detroit Mercy game. If they roll without the 3 starters we should be in great shape.
Their offense lives or dies by Ashton Langford who shoots worst than our fanbase from 3 (14%) but can get to the rim at will and has a great mid range game (Coop or Bailey should be guarding him).
Bickerstaff is their clear #2 and best big man by a country mile. He will give Oduro fits downlow as he is a brick house but Oduro should be able to take him off the dribble if that is what we game plan.
Jaeden Zackary is a dribble the air out of the ball guard who seemed to be their go to guy in crunch time against Detroit Mercy.
Mason Maedsen hit the game winner and is the traditional white guy who shoots a lot but isn't that great and can't do much else but shoot guy on BC. Game winner was nails though.
Demarr Langford (easily their best player who has not played so far as he is injured. I can't find much on his timetable but I pray it is after Friday as he will give Ronnie/Coop fits defensively) EDIT***From what I read he has an ankle injury and should be back on Friday as he is game time decision vs Maine today...

This team is not a big team so a two big lineup with Ginny and Oduro could be a great game plan. These dudes (sans injured Langford) cannot shoot, so stopping dribble drives would be my go to defensively.

Mason wins by 7 to save a poo poo OOC

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Update from Rothstein:
DerMarr Langford (ankle) and T.J. Bickerstaff (undisclosed) will play today against Maine, per Earl Grant. Prince Aligbe (lower body) and Quinten Post (foot) are day-to-day.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
We need to bring the full roster against them and once again - pound on the inside and get them into foul trouble. Pound Pound Pound Pound Pound until we get the prize.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Update from Rothstein:
DerMarr Langford (ankle) and T.J. Bickerstaff (undisclosed) will play today against Maine, per Earl Grant. Prince Aligbe (lower body) and Quinten Post (foot) are day-to-day.
He said Langford was playing against Detroit Mercy as well and then he didn't thus me wanting to wait and see what actually happens. Aligbe is the 3rd starter that has been missing and Post is a good backup big man

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He said Langford was playing against Detroit Mercy as well and then he didn't thus me wanting to wait and see what actually happens. Aligbe is the 3rd starter that has been missing and Post is a good backup big man
Langford playing tonight. So far against Maine, BC's defense doesn’t look great.