Game 29: AT LaSalle, March 6th, 8 PM, NBCSN

GMURaider

Sixth Man
They are 14-15. Their SOS is 30. It's very doubtful IMO. Maybe CBI for them?
I kind of like SVG as color guy--granted it wasn't an artistic success of a game, but I don't remember either team being ahead by more than 4 the whole second half--so it was competitive. And justifiably he did question many of the refs non-calls. They didn't seem to call anything underneath on either side. That hurts Wright's and Allen's drives.

Was LaSalle really in line for an NIT bid with just a couple of more wins? What's their rpi?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Glad to celebrate my impending 44th birthday with the guys finally pulling out a narrow victory. Now they just need one more to avoid the PIG and give themselves a (theoretical) chance of winning in Brooklyn.

Just like last season, things are starting to come together at the end. I wish the season was a month longer -- we'd have a chance to be very dangerous with the way the guys are playing now.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Nice win fellas! The boys are playing hard despite their record. Gotta love it. Beat Duquesne and avoid that GD play-in game!

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I kind of like SVG as color guy--granted it wasn't an artistic success of a game, but I don't remember either team being ahead by more than 4 the whole second half--so it was competitive. And justifiably he did question many of the refs non-calls. They didn't seem to call anything underneath on either side. That hurts Wright's and Allen's drives.

Was LaSalle really in line for an NIT bid with just a couple of more wins? What's their rpi?

I like SVG too. Seems to try hard to acclimate himself to the league in which he's calling the game. Does his HW.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Points in the paint:
Mason - 28
La Salle - 18

Points off turnovers:
Mason - 4
La Salle - 15

Second chance points:
Mason - 16
La Salle - 8

Fast break points:
Mason - 4
La Salle - 6

Bench points:
Mason - 31
La Salle - 8

Haxormax

Starter
We were shouting at hewitt the whole night and he just looks at us and shouts "YOU'RE THE REASON I SAT VAUGHN GRAY" Then crossed his arms and sat down. Roland brought him a hot coco and the sports lady gave him a foot rub. Hewwy came over and said "well shucks fellers, I'm all ornery on account of us never winning a good game, sorry." in his best Butter's impression.

glad we moved past that and won the game in my city!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Was just thinking something: We're curently 4-11 in the A-10 and in 11th place in the standings, but if we had just found a way to win 3 of our close conference games -- say UMass at home (that was a choke), at URI and SLU at home -- we'd be 7-8 and in 8th place in the conference standings.

With a victory over Duquesne on Saturday, we'd finish 8-8 and have a chance to finish 7th.

Remember, we were picked 8th in the A-10 preseason poll.

Just a little perspective on how close our guys have been to exceeding expectations this season.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah, predictions often aren't worth diddly. I just thought it was interesting that, given all of our angst and frustration over Hewitt, that we're basically a few blown leads away from meeting or exceeding preseason expectations.

Given the loss of our projected starting PF, a significant upgrade in conference and the fact that we've had 2 freshmen starting for most of the conference schedule, it occurs to me that we may not be quite as far away from being successful in the A-10 as you'd think by reading this board.

Ultimately, I still have serious concerns about Hewitt and why it takes so long for his teams to come together, and I'm not at all convinced that it will work out for him long-term at Mason.

But I'm proud of the way the guys have continued to battle and finished the season on a high note. Many teams that start with 8 consecutive conference losses pack it in and start looking forward to the offseason. Our players have shown pride and continued to work hard, and that reflects very well on our much-maligned coaching staff.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
But I'm proud of the way the guys have continued to battle and finished the season on a high note. Many teams that start with 8 consecutive conference losses pack it in and start looking forward to the offseason. Our players have shown pride and continued to work hard, and that reflects very well on our much-maligned coaching staff.

Nicely said!

Patriotfan49

Starter
Yeah, predictions often aren't worth diddly. I just thought it was interesting that, given all of our angst and frustration over Hewitt, that we're basically a few blown leads away from meeting or exceeding preseason expectations.

Given the loss of our projected starting PF, a significant upgrade in conference and the fact that we've had 2 freshmen starting for most of the conference schedule, it occurs to me that we may not be quite as far away from being successful in the A-10 as you'd think by reading this board.

Ultimately, I still have serious concerns about Hewitt and why it takes so long for his teams to come together, and I'm not at all convinced that it will work out for him long-term at Mason.

Here is my concern with what you were saying Jim. The problem with projecting out and equating blown games that were losses as wins is that its a superficial measuring stick. Every single team can do that, and feel better about themselves. For example, every year the Dallas Cowboys have a very talented roster on paper....but they just have a magical ability to always be in their own way and more often than not come up short. Both coaching wise, and performance wise.

My concern is with Hewitt at the helm is that we are often going to have to resort to that outlook of "not that far away" or if we won that game(s) we blew, because of his well known record. He has been the same game every year he has coached. Being the best 4-11 team isnt good, being that team that is always "getting there" or "coming around" isnt good.

100% the roster we have can compete and play with anybody in the league...we have seen that all year. 100% we can be successful in the A10 with that roster and the roster coming in. Personally I just think its a matter of turning the keys over to a coach that can take us from "not far away" to arrived every game. .

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Here is my concern with what you were saying Jim. The problem with projecting out and equating blown games that were losses as wins is that its a superficial measuring stick. Every single team can do that, and feel better about themselves. For example, every year the Dallas Cowboys have a very talented roster on paper....but they just have a magical ability to always be in their own way and more often than not come up short. Both coaching wise, and performance wise.

My concern is with Hewitt at the helm is that we are often going to have to resort to that outlook of "not that far away" or if we won that game(s) we blew, because of his well known record. He has been the same game every year he has coached. Being the best 4-11 team isnt good, being that team that is always "getting there" or "coming around" isnt good.

100% the roster we have can compete and play with anybody in the league...we have seen that all year. 100% we can be successful in the A10 with that roster and the roster coming in. Personally I just think its a matter of turning the keys over to a coach that can take us from "not far away" to arrived every game. .

I don't disagree. That's why I wrote that I'm not convinced that Hewitt will ultimately work out at Mason.

Still, there is something to be said for a coach who can keep his guys focused (for the most part) and playing hard (for the most part) when they've known for more than a month that they had about .00000000001 percent chance of reaching the postseason.

He's obviously not the greatest basketball tactician. That's not surprising -- he's never been billed as a superior X's and O's guy. But kids will play for him and that's half the battle.

If we can find a veteran assistant to help him with player rotations, in-game tactical adjustments and other detail-oriented stuff that isn't his strength, I think it's possible to salvage something good from Hewitt's tenure next season.

Not probable. Just possible.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Thats another thing I dont buy into. The whole bringing in a veteran assistant to help augment the weaknesses of Hewitt and the entire staff.

We tend to have that conversation at the end of each year, and nothing happens. We even had an opening last year.....and still it wasnt addressed. Not sure we should hold out any hope that were to happen.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I like SVG too. Seems to try hard to acclimate himself to the league in which he's calling the game. Does his HW.
For all the guys that are below average on TV, SVG is certainly not one of them. I really like and appreciate what he provides on the telecast. He could totally pull what 90% of analysts do and just rely on his name and pedigree and not really know anything about the teams. That's not the case at all. He studies not just our conference, but others as well. I really like when he is calling the game.

After hearing Hewitt speak on Mike & Mike and seeing how our guys played tonight, I'm really proud of this team. It's a bunch of kids that play hard, represent the school well and truly care about their school. The results have not been there, but this week is the very reason I find it extremely difficult to ever criticize a player on these boards.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Thats another thing I dont buy into. The whole bringing in a veteran assistant to help augment the weaknesses of Hewitt and the entire staff.

We tend to have that conversation at the end of each year, and nothing happens. We even had an opening last year.....and still it wasnt addressed. Not sure we should hold out any hope that were to happen.
Yea, well the problem might not be seeking one, it's probably actually getting one to come. Those guys don't grow on trees. My wife is an NC State fan and I know for a fact that many of them fear losing a guy like Bobby Lutz as the tactical assistant as much or more than they would losing Mark Gottfried.

Dawgs99

Starter

Many folks here on the boards were still on fence abot Hewitt after last seasosn, thus it seemed that a coaching staff over haul might not be necessary. After year 3 there is no doubt that there needs to be a staff shake up. Like Jim noted, a older, task oriented, scheme junkie type might really help balance out the recruiting and people skills that Hewitt and Kreider appear to have. I'd be happy with canning both Houston and Skeeters after the season. I feel like Kreider does all the grunt work that many other more established guys probably wouldn't want to do. It certainly won't hurt to bring in a new guy(s) with new ideas.