Game 27: GMU (13-13 / 6-7) vs GW (11-15 / 7-7) on Sunday, February 27, at 2:30PM.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I kinda wonder if KE is playing Polite a lot more right now so he has two PGs ready to play when the tournament starts. These last few games don't matter THAT much in the grand scheme of things. This team only goes to the dance via running the tables at at A10 tourney.

I think it’s this but also they really want to see what they have in Polite. Whether it means a spot on the team going forward or if they help him go elsewhere, it’s good to see him get minutes and a chance to prove himself.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I love how English does these postgame interviews with body language that says, "Damn, we had 10 reporters in Knoxville, what the hell is this? There's two guys here and one of them keeps asking me silly questions. Guess I have to play along and hope the situation changes."

And it better. Great that the Wapo wrote an article, but JFC, Georgetown and UMD are dumpster fires. GW is no good. Mason is the only bright spot in DC hoops...

COVER THEM.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
"I'm proud of our guys for their resiliency in a game where we didn't play well," head coach Kim English said. "They continued to find ways to get stops defensively and create offense by getting the ball inside and getting to the foul line. I told the guys don't worry about the results of good shots. Averages and percentages are there for a reason. We just had to continue to play tough, physical defense and take good shots. I told them when one would fall, a lot would follow. That held true."

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It might be me, but I feel like CKE is also trying to calm these guys down a bit. They have been so used to losing that they have to learn "how to win" to a degree. He talked about it last Spring and I feel like he is still trying to get the point across that if you give yourself the best opportunities things will fix itself.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It might be me, but I feel like CKE is also trying to calm these guys down a bit. They have been so used to losing that they have to learn "how to win" to a degree. He talked about it last Spring and I feel like he is still trying to get the point across that if you give yourself the best opportunities things will fix itself.
One positive is that we're doing a better job of winning at home under KE. We're currently 10-3 which is a .769 clip at home. We only had a .591 winning percentage at home with DP. Hewitt was .631 but that included a 16-1 first season with L's guys. He was a pathetic 25-23 at home his last 3 years. For now I'll enjoy some success at home as a first step.

The road has not been so kind, just 4-10 with two of those wins early against Maryland and Georgia. I'm trying to remain calm. I know we all want to win now.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
"I'm proud of our guys for their resiliency in a game where we didn't play well," head coach Kim English said. "They continued to find ways to get stops defensively and create offense by getting the ball inside and getting to the foul line. I told the guys don't worry about the results of good shots. Averages and percentages are there for a reason. We just had to continue to play tough, physical defense and take good shots. I told them when one would fall, a lot would follow. That held true."

Anyone else heard this answer and think: I wish this was their mentality on offense in every game?

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"We may have split the season series with GMU this year, but after being at the game today I was reminded of one area we dominate: home arena and game atmosphere.

I even brought my daughter today who gained massive appreciation for the Smith Center today.

Here are some of my observations:

1) Eagle Bank Arena is a dump and very dark, while the Smith Center is nice, light, and inviting.

2) even when attendance is bad, the smith center doesn’t feel as empty and depressing as EBA.

3) There is no character at all to the non-description area where EBA seats: The Smith Center is in one of the best locations for any arena in America.

4) The “Masonettes” pale in comparison to the First Ladies. If you haven’t appreciate how hard the First Ladies work, how much energy, and how much quality they being, a road game at George Mason will cure that quickly.

5) Their band, for all its plaudits, is annoying. They have a singer on most songs accompanying the marching band. The singers weren’t very good - the band is good, but the singers bring it down 3 notches.

6) there was no student section, at least not thst I could tell. Even when we only have 100 there, the concentration of students front and center in seats that are right on top of the court give our games an energy that the soulless EBA doesn’t have.

7) At halftime, I saw a massive line - probably 30 people long, or more. When I followed it to see what it was, it was people line up for Dippin Dots. Dippin Dots?!? The worst treat known to man. The ice cream of the future? Yeah, if the future is a miserable place with no ice cream.

8) popcorn costs $9 there. At The Smith Center it’s now FREE. Not sure if that’s even been mentioned on this board, but huge kudos to whoever decided to add free popcorn this year.

9) The chairs at EBA are not terribly comfortable. Smith Center Sears (at least the blue seats) are pretty nice.

10) Generally, Eagles Bank Arena has no character at all all - it’s just a big, dark, soul-sucking generic arena. The Smith Center is just a warm, awesome place to see a game. Can’t wait until we are good again and start getting packed houses once more.

At any rate, I’m proud to be a Colonial, and thankful that dump isn’t my home arena."

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

"We may have split the season series with GMU this year, but after being at the game today I was reminded of one area we dominate: home arena and game atmosphere.

I even brought my daughter today who gained massive appreciation for the Smith Center today.

1) Eagle Bank Arena is a dump and very dark, while the Smith Center is nice, light, and inviting.

2) even when attendance is bad, the smith center doesn’t feel as empty and depressing as EBA.

3) There is no character at all to the non-description area where EBA seats: The Smith Center is in one of the best locations for any arena in America.

4) The “Masonettes” pale in comparison to the First Ladies. If you haven’t appreciate how hard the First Ladies work, how much energy, and how much quality they being, a road game at George Mason will cure that quickly.

5) Their band, for all its plaudits, is annoying. They have a singer on most songs accompanying the marching band. The singers weren’t very good - the band is good, but the singers bring it down 3 notches.

6) there was no student section, at least not thst I could tell. Even when we only have 100 there, the concentration of students front and center in seats that are right on top of the court give our games an energy that the soulless EBA doesn’t have.

7) At halftime, I saw a massive line - probably 30 people long, or more. When I followed it to see what it was, it was people line up for Dippin Dots. Dippin Dots?!? The worst treat known to man. The ice cream of the future? Yeah, if the future is a miserable place with no ice cream.

8) popcorn costs $9 there. At The Smith Center it’s now FREE. Not sure if that’s even been mentioned on this board, but huge kudos to whoever decided to add free popcorn this year.

9) The chairs at EBA are not terribly comfortable. Smith Center Sears (at least the blue seats) are pretty nice.

10) Generally, Eagles Bank Arena has no character at all all - it’s just a big, dark, soul-sucking generic arena. The Smith Center is just a warm, awesome place to see a game. Can’t wait until we are good again and start getting packed houses once more.

At any rate, I’m proud to be a Colonial, and thankful that dump isn’t my home arena."
He’s not wrong. I was very disappointed in the game atmosphere yesterday.

I was happy with the win and free bobble head though.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Grasping at straws based on the trajectory of the two programs I see.

EBA does have one issue: it was built in perhaps the worst period for architecture ever (the mid-70s-80s). I have no idea what designers were thinking back then, but it was not good.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I've attended many games at Smith, and I'm dying at this comparison. Smith Center has some of the worst sight lines in any college basketball arena I've been to, they get 1k fans on their best attendance days, and the god damned screen fell on the floor not too long ago.

EBA has a litany of problems, but I wake up every morning and praise all the gods that we don't play in GWs little gym.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Funniest post I've seen in a long time. Thanks for sharing.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah that person is nuts. I'm not saying EBA is perfect, but EBA is built for basketball. The Smith Center experience pales in comparison and is closer to the Fordham or Lasalle experience than EBA.

Sheesh. I needed a good laugh though.

Our band is annoying? Wow. Thats a new one

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
WOW need some narcan to bring me back from the copium overdose I suffered reading that post. That's like me going to see the Caps play at the paint bucket and getting mad at how many Penguins fans there are.

EBA and our fan base has issues but literally every point he makes is like "yes EBA is similar, but I am a GW fan so I like what GW offers better." If that's the best you can come up with an education from the most expensive school in the country then you done got had. Terrible writing.