Game 25: GMU (13-11 / 6-5) at Fordham (11-13 / 4-8) on Sunday, February 20, at 2:30PM.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We are not running the same offense that we did under Dave so they are all literally on equal footing with "knowing the offense". Hartwell has only hit double figures on 3 occasions this season, and has not scored a single point since he hit a 3 against La Salle. Prior to that, he hadn't scored since American before Christmas. I agree with the sentiment but unsure why you chose Hartwell for this example over literally any other bench player.

Are the offenses THAT much different?? It's ball screen action then pass or shoot or go to Oduro. It's not rocket science yet Henry and Frazier seem to not grasp it. I dunno, just thought Jamal played good yesterday. I'm rooting for him to help us out of the gutter we may fall into shortly. Too much experience on this team to go flame out. We can agree to disagree about Jamal.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Think it was more of a clarification/point of emphasis rather than a rule change. The defender is entitled to his position if established.

The answer to your second question is clearly yes since it has happened multiple times in our games this season. Also doesn't really matter where the defender's foot is if you drop your shoulder and just bull rush at him, as was the case. Pretty telling when neither JO or KE were arguing that call. Both of them knew it was a bone-headed play.
Not sure if the speed of the modern game is too much for them, but it’s annoying how few officials seem to grasp what establishing position on defense actually means under the rules as written.

In this case the Fordham defender was late to the spot, slid over into Oduro’s path and was never in legal guarding position, but sold the charge by falling backwards as if he had been hit by a sniper’s bullet.

Later in the game, Ticket had both feet set, took the contact square in his chest, got absolutely run over and still got called for a block.

It feels like the refs just make up calls as they go based on the flow of the game. Pretty sure that’s not the way they’re supposed to do it.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Not sure if the speed of the modern game is too much for them, but it’s annoying how few officials seem to grasp what establishing position on defense actually means under the rules as written.

In this case the Fordham defender was late to the spot, slid over into Oduro’s path and was never in legal guarding position, but sold the charge by falling backwards as if he had been hit by a sniper’s bullet.

Later in the game, Ticket had both feet set, took the contact square in his chest, got absolutely run over and still got called for a block.

It feels like the refs just make up calls as they go based on the flow of the game. Pretty sure that’s not the way they’re supposed to do it.
It was clearly a charge. Oduro lowers his shoulder big time. Don't know what to tell you other than it is 14 minutes into the nbcsn replay and if you still think they got it wrong after watching that, then we will have to agree to disagree. http://stream.nbcsports.com/nbc/usa-generic?pid=2040788

I more understand the frustration with the calls on Ticket.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He misses. I get that. But he knows the offense unlike some younger guys. KE is the guy to instill the confidence to turn "misses" into makes. Team needs someone else to hit shots and I think Jamal should get some mins to do it. There isn't anyone else with his experience.
I get what you are going for here and I do think that CKE has really tried to get behind Jamal by giving him minutes. Problem is that he really hasn't produced offensively, and defensively hes a major liability. The only reason why he shot the other day was because we literally had nobody who would be able to shoot it who might have a decent chance of putting the ball in the hoop from 3. It was literally a last resort and he had a good look.

Hes all we got as a backup shooting option to a degree so I guess it makes sense to try to keep getting something out of him, but at this point its just nothing.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It was clearly a charge. Oduro lowers his shoulder big time. Don't know what to tell you other than it is 14 minutes into the nbcsn replay and if you still think they got it wrong after watching that, then we will have to agree to disagree. http://stream.nbcsports.com/nbc/usa-generic?pid=2040788

What’s this board’s obsession with lowering the shoulder? If I have the ball and initiate contact with somebody who has not established position, that’s supposed to be a block — even if I go up and disrespectfully dunk my nuts in his face while dunking the ball.

And if you think that Fordham player had established legal guarding position, no offense but you’re wrong. It wasn’t even close.

FreeGunston12

All-American
What’s this board’s obsession with lowering the shoulder? If I have the ball and initiate contact with somebody who has not established position, that’s supposed to be a block — even if I go up and disrespectfully dunk my nuts in his face while dunking the ball.

And if you think that Fordham player had established legal guarding position, no offense but you’re wrong. It wasn’t even close.
Tell me you didn't watch the replay without telling me you didn't watch the replay.

It was a terribly dumb decision by Oduro. You can't go full bull in the China shop and pick up your 2nd foul 5 minutes into the game.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Yeah- I just rewatched it and if we are talking about the quick 2nd foul on Oduro for charging, he blatantly lowered the shoulder and ran the guy over. Its obviously subjective to a degree but he made the shoulder lowering really obvious. No matter what you do, if you do that, its going to be a charge most of the time. Even if he was more subtle he may have gotten the benefit in real time. Very frustrating because it was right after Oduro got called for impeding progress so it was a quick 2 when Mason had some early momentum.

That said the call on Ticket for charging with the same guy defending him looked more like a flop.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

He doesn’t need to have legal guarding position whatever that means if Oduro initiates contact with an extended arm or lowered shoulder. Which is what Oduro does at least once a game. He also hooks so much and doesn’t get called this year. I agree the refs are terribly inconsistent but that was a very blatant offensive foul

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If Mason played well offensively, or even just ok - I'd be more apt to criticize the refs. The offense was disjointed and ugly for much of the game. The refs get a pass from me. I'm sure they're breathing a sigh of relief.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If Mason played well offensively, or even just ok - I'd be more apt to criticize the refs. The offense was so disjointed and ugly for much of the game. The refs get a pass from me. I'm sure they're breathing a sigh of relief.
This is the last I’m gonna type about it, but don’t you think the foul trouble to Oduro and Ticket had a little something to do with the offense being disjointed? Neither had a chance to get into any kind of rhythm. Ticket’s 5 fouls were particularly soft — maybe 3 of them were actually fouls. Maybe.

Irish44j

Sixth Man

He seems to do that once every game. gets frustrated/impatient and tries to bull his way to the hoop and gets a charge foul. You can see it coming a mile away when he starts his run up above the foul line and clearly makes up his mind where he's going no matter where the defender is. I'd like to see him throw a spin move in or a crossover and catch the defender leaning on the outside leverage, would give a clear run to the hoop. Then again, I was a 5'10 PG in high school, so I don't know much about playing in the paint lol.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is the last I’m gonna type about it, but don’t you think the foul trouble to Oduro and Ticket had a little something to do with the offense being disjointed? Neither had a chance to get into any kind of rhythm. Ticket’s 5 fouls were particularly soft — maybe 3 of them were actually fouls. Maybe.

I understand your perspective, but at least in Oduro's case I've seen him play much better in the past when burdened by fouls. The 8 turnovers were particularly frustrating. I would agree that the calls on Ticket were more iffy.

As someone else said, the whole team is responsible for this loss. The shooting and TO #'s were terrible. Hell - shooting #'s aside, I'd be more apt to blame the refs if we had 8 TO's as opposed to 16.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He seems to do that once every game. gets frustrated/impatient and tries to bull his way to the hoop and gets a charge foul. You can see it coming a mile away when he starts his run up above the foul line and clearly makes up his mind where he's going no matter where the defender is. I'd like to see him throw a spin move in or a crossover and catch the defender leaning on the outside leverage, would give a clear run to the hoop. Then again, I was a 5'10 PG in high school, so I don't know much about playing in the paint lol.
Yeah, I feel like a jerk for criticizing him - dude is gonna be a 1st team guy. What an incredible season. I agree though, sometimes I feel like he makes up his mind too soon as far was what he is gonna do with the ball. Like to see him let the game come to him more often. Sometimes a different move or a pass for better shot seems in order. Then again, I'm less qualified to critique then you, as I participated in basketball under the auspices of the Catholic Youth Organization.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
All the talk of rudeness between fans and teams reminded me of something from the Fordham game. To my surprise, Fordham fans have been the rudest (by far) to us of all the places we have visited as fans. That excludes the event staff (who were very nice). There were several things, nothing serious, but, two specific post game things in particular:

As GMUBrianJr. and I walked by the student section to depart, they chanted something at us. I don't recall specifically, but, something along the lines of "you suck". Not unexpected when you travel to enemy territory.

The one that really surprised me, though, was when a grown man and, presumably his wife were walking behind us after leaving the arena. They were heckling us and even got their three young kids to join in on it.

Now, I entirely expect that the Fordham experience to be exceeded at tonights game at vcu if my past experiences there are any prediction of the future...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
All the talk of rudeness between fans and teams reminded me of something from the Fordham game. To my surprise, Fordham fans have been the rudest (by far) to us of all the places we have visited as fans. That excludes the event staff (who were very nice). There were several things, nothing serious, but, two specific post game things in particular:

As GMUBrianJr. and I walked by the student section to depart, they chanted something at us. I don't recall specifically, but, something along the lines of "you suck". Not unexpected when you travel to enemy territory.

The one that really surprised me, though, was when a grown man and, presumably his wife were walking behind us after leaving the arena. They were heckling us and even got their three young kids to join in on it.

Now, I entirely expect that the Fordham experience to be exceeded at tonights game at vcu if my past experiences there are any prediction of the future...
Strange, I only had a nice conversation with a Fordham fan who thought Mason was a really good team, better than vcu and that Fordham was better than vcu..something like that. He said something asinine but was nice so I just played along lol.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

Maybe a function of their infrequent opportunities to mouth off. That plus the effect of Fordham being in the Bronx!

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Bronx, N.Y. – There were 15 assists recorded by the Fordham men's basketball squad tonight but the biggest assist came before the game started. The Rams hung a Ukrainian flag in the Rose Hill Gym and paused for a moment of silence prior to the contest to show their solidarity with the people of Ukraine, most notably for teammate Rostyslav Novitskyi. The Kyiv native responded with a season-high ten points, while grad student forward Chuba Ohams recorded his sixth straight double-double, scoring a career-best 23 points, to lead Fordham to an 85-73 Atlantic 10 win over the University of Massachusetts.

With the win, Fordham evens its record at 14-14 overall, 7-9 in the Atlantic 10, while Massachusetts falls to 12-16 overall, 5-11 in the conference."