Game 21: AT St. Louis, Feb 1st, 2:30 EST/1:30 CST, NBCSN

psyclone

Hall of Famer
psyclone said:
My sense is that this was Moore's first end-of-game situation. He's earned the right to be in there given his recent pg play. It's also likely BA first end-of-game role NOT dribbling the ball but rather coming off of a screen to receive a pass. When both MM and BA get enough reps in their new end-of-game roles, the play will be more smoothly run.

pf49.
#1. Not true, BA has done many end of game situations and they are never smoothly run.

49---Your missing my point. BA has typically run end-of-game situations dribbling the ball (sometimes off his foot) essentially playing an isolation trying to break down his defender. Indeed the track record on those isn't all that good. However, against SLU Allen's role was changed; he didn't have the ball, but rather was coming around a screen depending on Moore to get the ball to him. Given that Moore hadn't usually been in the game in these situations, there probably weren't all that many reps in executing the play. If Moore has now established himself as trustworthy as a pg (based on the last 2 games), one could expect more reps of that play during practice.

Patriotfan49

Starter
psyclone said:
My sense is that this was Moore's first end-of-game situation. He's earned the right to be in there given his recent pg play. It's also likely BA first end-of-game role NOT dribbling the ball but rather coming off of a screen to receive a pass. When both MM and BA get enough reps in their new end-of-game roles, the play will be more smoothly run.

pf49.
#1. Not true, BA has done many end of game situations and they are never smoothly run.

49---Your missing my point. BA has typically run end-of-game situations dribbling the ball (sometimes off his foot) essentially playing an isolation trying to break down his defender. Indeed the track record on those isn't all that good. However, against SLU Allen's role was changed; he didn't have the ball, but rather was coming around a screen depending on Moore to get the ball to him. Given that Moore hadn't usually been in the game in these situations, there probably weren't all that many reps in executing the play. If Moore has now established himself as trustworthy as a pg (based on the last 2 games), one could expect more reps of that play during practice.

As you can see in our games, reps in practice dont mean much when the game comes around. I heard what you were saying, but if our games and struggling with the same things season after season are any indication.....I dont think its a foregone conclusion anything will be run smoothly no matter how many practice reps were involved.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I didn't watch the STL game live because I had other things to do and I don't care to make the effort I used to make. In fact, this season I am doing something I have literally never done. I dvr the game, check the boards, and decide if it's worth watching. This game I checked in on late in the game and watched the end.

Now, I'm going back and watching the whoke thing. Some observations:

STL fans got EVERY call yet completely lose their shit when the rare call goes against them.

Sherrod still busts his a** on offense. The second a ball leaves his hand, he assumes it will miss and charges the basket to get his own rebound. We used to love that about him but now I think we are so frustrated by his slump/inconsistency that we don't notice anymore. He has lost his mind or is secretly hurt, but his effort is undeniable.

I have some negative observations about Halloway I will keep off the boards but would love to discuss privately. Dude does a lot I like but I hace been noticing some other stuff. Even my wife noticed the same things at the last game we saw live (GW) without me saying anything to her. I wish I still lived nearby and hung out at Brions with you guys.

We have to be one of the best winless teams in the history of college basketball. I'm not making excuses, a loss is a loss, but it really is amazing we haven't grabbed a win. We used to complain about being able to play for more than a half. Now we play for at least 38 minutes and still find a way to lose.

Hewitt coached his a** off tonight. He sucks, but he is feeling the heat and really cares.

Okologi deserves every negative thing you all say about him. Gray couldn't possibly be worse.

Gray is still fully invested in this team on the bench. He was caught on camera yelling and cheering and on his feet many times.

The reasons we shot ridiculously well against a top defense was our smartest shot selection of the year. This had everything to do with the assist total, or vice versa. In other words, we are moving the ball well and more importantly moving well without the ball (except Halloway, though I think he's just doing what he's told and is not being used the best possible way). We are executing our offense better and guys are getting open in spots where they actually can hit the shot. MM has a lot to do with that, and Corey is playing better in his role as a backup.

We are playing to our strengths better. Hewitt is slow to learn but I think he gets there.

Substitution pattern, sans AO, makes more sense to me. Timeout management still puzzles the hell out of me.

All of my positivity is very tentative because we have seen this movie before. We play as good as the best teams on our schedule and as bad as the worst.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
One more observation - the commercial regarding men wearing pads to stop "personal leakage" issues makes me uncomfortable

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
And one more... Copes was fouled on that near steal with 24 seconds left. No call. I thought MM was fouled on his deep 2 at the end, but on the replay I think he wasn't. Jenkins was definitely fouled on his shot, and it did affect the shot. No call, and that would have been the game as Jenkins would've probably hit one. Sad way to lose.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Classic Jim post - change the argument so you sound correct. Sorry Jim, people weren't saying we needed to have a better look, people we saying that the Moore shot is what Hewitt wanted coming out of the TO, which simply is not correct. I'll try and spell it out for you as simple as I can:

There is more, but this should be enough for even you to get the point. Again, you are a moron if you think the design of the play was for one of our worst jump shooters to pull up and take a long jump shot. Hewitt instructed Moore to dribble and drive, he could either take the layup, or kick it out to Holloway on the right coming off a screen, or kick it out to BA on the left coming off a screen. Moore decided to pull up and take the jumper. You can not blame Hewitt for Moore pulling up - that was 100% Moore's decision and was never talked about in the huddle. So yes, if you think Hewitt drew up a play to have Moore take a long jumper, you are a moron.

You didn't see Holloway come off a screen and BA come off a screen? Are you kidding? Jesus, if you can't even see that, why am I even wasting my time? Watch again - watch Hewitt tell them to start the rotation for the screen - twice. How can you watch a basketball game and not see these, and then come on a message board acting like your John Wooden and know everything about basketball?

I apologize for saying it was a planned jumper. To clarify, Moore taking a jumper was one of the options. However, it was stupid to put Moore in this position. He should never be put in that position again unless he proves he can make jumpers.
On this day, Hewitt had options. BA was playing well. Holloway was too. Either of them could of done what Moore was supposed to do. I like our percentages with either of them attacking the rim or taking a Jumper. Imo, Hewitt should of sent one them to get the ball from Moore. Good experience for Moore, I guess, but not having a jump shot puts a cap on him. In the grand scheme of things, If the moron hadn't dropped the ball on recruiting a good PG, then watching this nba style system wouldn't be as painful.

And for those who keep saying the new guys are gonna help need to wake up. Two years ago we were counting down the days for our seniors to leave. Many saying they can't wait for our now juniors to grow into place and now we can't wait for our seniors to leave again??? The player cycle continues but the one constant is the idiot in-game coach. Next year will be the same as this year and then what? We can't wait for these seniors to leave...again??? Imo since day one this hack arrived.....We will never be a respected/feared program as long as Hewitt is here.

Last edited:

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I apologize for saying it was a planned jumper. To clarify, Moore taking a jumper was one of the options. However, it was stupid to put Moore in this position. He should never be put in that position again unless he proves he can make jumpers.
On this day, Hewitt had options. BA was playing well. Holloway was too. Either of them could of done what Moore was supposed to do. I like our percentages with either of them attacking the rim or taking a Jumper. Imo, Hewitt should of sent one them to get the ball from Moore. Good experience for Moore, I guess, but not having a jump shot puts a cap on him. In the grand scheme of things, If the moron hadn't dropped the ball on recruiting a good PG, then watching this nba style system wouldn't be as painful.

And for those who keep saying the new guys are gonna help need to wake up. Two years ago we were counting down the days for our seniors to leave. Many saying they can't wait for our now juniors to grow into place and now we can't wait for our seniors to leave again??? The player cycle continues but the on constant is the idiot in-game coach.
Not much wrong with this post if you're being honest, especially the part about Hewitt-led teams being in a constant state of "wait-til-next-year."

I take issue with one comment, as I think MM is a good point guard. He's just not a scorer, which should be ok in Hewitt's system IF Hewitt had him surrounded by good scorers.

I am ok with the play we ran, even with the 7 second plan rather than the 10 seconds others had suggested. But BA getting a handoff from MM with about 10 seconds left, then BA making the drive with 7 left, may have been a better option.

But, to play devil's advocate, perhaps this was the coaching staff adjusting to the fact that BA dribbles off his foot in almost every late game drive.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Both vcu and Richmond were designed plays. vcu down to the number of dribbles Sherrod should have taken before shooting it.

The vcu game was a designed play at first, as the ball was supposed to go to Allen cutting across the court, but that was taken away by a vcu defender. That left Sherrod having to come back to the ball because Pearson was about to fall in-bounds. At that point, it was Sherrod running up the court, shooting a long, contested three, and praying it went in.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I really liked the play at the end, just didn't like the execution of the play. Jett was guarding BA and goes under the screen by Copes and then goes to help on Moore just as he pulls up for the shot. I think Moore could have dished it to BA and he would have had a decent look at the basket. That's not saying Moore didn't have a decent look too, but I think most people would agree that they would rather have BA take that shot over Moore.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I take issue with one comment, as I think MM is a good point guard. He's just not a scorer, which should be ok in Hewitt's system IF Hewitt had him surrounded by good scorers.
i

its not ok. it's like playing 4 vs 5 when you don't a have a scoring PG in Hewitts system.

see wiki link
Coaching Style[edit]
Coach Hewitt runs a 4 out, 1 in motion offense, an offense with an emphasis on guard play. ESPN once described Hewitt's offense as "truly putrid." [7]He uses a pressure defensive attack in both the full and half court.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Lol... truly putrid. I agree with that assessment.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Our "truly putrid" offense just scored 68 points against the #8 scoring defense in the country. I wouldn't call our offense "truly putrid"... of course, I also wouldn't use wikipedia to base my opinions of our basketball team.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I didnt even see that before posting. Haaaa. Didnt think opinion would be allowed into that.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Our "truly putrid" offense just scored 68 points against the #8 scoring defense in the country. I wouldn't call our offense "truly putrid"... of course, I also wouldn't use wikipedia to base my opinions of our basketball team.
I would argue, with no basis other than my non-expert eyes, that our players are scoring well in spite of Hewitts offense rather than because of it.

I don't think anyone is basing their opinions on wikipedia; wiki wasn't even talking about our team. Mostly, I was just amused by ESPN (allegedly) calling Hewitts system putrid.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
That is my point, maybe if you start the play 3-4 seconds earlier Jenkins could get a better look. You make it low percentage and no chance to clean things up if they dont go as planned (which is often in sports).

Was looking at some old videos today and came across this nightmare. I think this is a good example of what can happen if you start too early, you give the other team a chance at the other end.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Yet, we still had two decent looks at the hoop there and Morrison was clearly fouled. There's an argument for starting it early or starting the play a few seconds later. I'm not a fan of those uniforms...at least we've improved in that area.