Game 21: #18 Virginia Commonwealth University, Wednesday, February 4th, 7 PM, CBS SN

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Wait, I expected us to be an 18 win team based on Paul Hewitt's promises...

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
On their boards, there's a few fans giving the line of thought that "being in the national spotlight" is too much on the young guys and that by dropping out for the rankings for a bit will only help them.

No. It's just that you are young and mediocre without your stars. Still good enough to beat alot of teams, but you are now NOT elite.

The fans are in denial. They're just not that good ... a mediocre offensive team that can't turn anyone over and get easy baskets anymore.

It's what happens when you rely on a gimmick defense and jacking up 3s. When neither is working, they have no other plan.

Needless to say, I'm enjoying watching them struggle.

KAOriginal

All-American
The fans are in denial. They're just not that good ... a mediocre offensive team that can't turn anyone over and get easy baskets anymore.

It's what happens when you rely on a gimmick defense and jacking up 3s. When neither is working, they have no other plan.

Needless to say, I'm enjoying watching them struggle.

Denial is right. Tried to tell a friend who is a vcu alum/fan...that they have nothing else besides a good D (before Weber went out) and 3 point shots. He wouldnt hear of it. .....

KAOriginal

All-American
One guy on there DID GET THIS RIGHT THOUGH:

"But now..... now, we have some legit respect out there. Things are waaaaay different. So yeah- deserved or not...... every single ranking. Every single accolade that we can ever get our filthy hands on as a Program...... is not just big. It is huge. This is how you (stay) relevant.

Ask UMASS Fans how easy it is to watch it all slip away for 20 years. Or George Mason. Western Kentucky. UAB. Etc, etc."

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
They'll be relevant as long as Shaka stays because the lazy lapdog media hangs from his junk and eats up all the "Havoc" crapola.

But at some point, if their on-court performance continues to not match the hype, people will realize they're overrated and start calling them on it.

Sure, they get to the tournament every year, but they still have the same number of Sweet 16s that we do. That can't sit well with their fan base.

KAOriginal

All-American
Sure, they get to the tournament every year, but they still have the same number of Sweet 16s that we do. That can't sit well with their fan base.

True. But it is so much better not have to rely on auto-bid and just get in on a regular basis.....

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
True. But it is so much better not have to rely on auto-bid and just get in on a regular basis.....

Goes without saying that I'd be pleased to make the tournament every year.

But all the hype vcu gets overshadows the facts that Shaka is still looking for his first conference regular-season title and they've only been past the first weekend of the NCAAs one time in program history.

For all the money they spend on that program, hard to argue they're not underachieving.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Question: Based on expectations coming into the season, will vcu fans or Mason fans be more disappointed at the end of the season?

I know some people here are reading challenged, so please note that the question is not which program would you rather be. That would be a dumb question and an easy answer. It's also not a question of which coach is better. Again, dumb and easy.

But given that most of us came into this season knowing we'd be as bad as we are, I would maintain that vcu fans set the bar so high that they only place they can go — especially given the loss of Weber — is way down.

vcu easily. I knew we would be bad. Maybe not this bad, but bad nonetheless.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Why are we still talking about vcu.

Jesus..... penis envy of Shaka much?? Garrgle it down boys