Game 20: GMU (11-8 / 7-6) vs LaSalle (9-14 / 6-10) on Saturday, February 27, at 4:30PM.

Bricker

Starter
Maybe a taste of winning and what this team is capable of could lure Greene back? Just speculating. Would love to see them carry the momentum into a strong showing at the tourney.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Left-Hand Assassin

Retweeted

John Greene

@94FeetGA

·
16h

Bitter Sweet #27thAllTimeScoring#21stAllTimeRebounds#3rdAllTimeSteals in Mason history. Looking fwd to the next chapter even if he decides to RunItBack for graduate year!

https://twitter.com/94FeetGA/status/1365868431321481218?s=20

Note: Currently 4 steals behind Rob Rose for 3rd place all-time in career steals at Mason.
The fact he’s 21st all time in rebounding as a guard is wild to me. I personally still don’t think he returns for a 5th year but I’d accept it without asking a single question.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The fact he’s 21st all time in rebounding as a guard is wild to me. I personally still don’t think he returns for a 5th year but I’d accept it without asking a single question.

A couple of great rebounding guards on the all-time list: Marquise is 13th all-time, Grayer is 19th, Kier is 20th, Cam Long is 23rd (was 22nd going into the season). Rob Rose is 9th (I'm assuming he was a guard here, since he played guard professionally? -- those who are old enough to remember can correct me if he didn't). I also can't figure out if Herb Estes was a guard or not since it was so long ago and no one wants to tell me.

Also wouldn't surprise me if Jordan Miller ended up really high on the list too, considering he already has 395 rebounds to date.

Oh, and yes, if Greene feels like he has unfinished business at Mason and wants to come back...no questions ask. Would be a great bridge year as the guard position shakes itself out.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
A couple of great rebounding guards on the all-time list: Marquise is 13th all-time, Grayer is 19th, Kier is 20th, Cam Long is 23rd (was 22nd going into the season). Rob Rose is 9th (I'm assuming he was a guard here, since he played guard professionally? -- those who are old enough to remember can correct me if he didn't). I also can't figure out if Herb Estes was a guard or not since it was so long ago and no one wants to tell me.

Also wouldn't surprise me if Jordan Miller ended up really high on the list too, considering he already has 395 rebounds to date.

Oh, and yes, if Greene feels like he has unfinished business at Mason and wants to come back...no questions ask. Would be a great bridge year as the guard position shakes itself out.

Rose definitely was a guard but I'm remembering Estes as a forward.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Grayer got to 19 in essentially 3 seasons too. Just crazy. I wonder if that’s more common at our level though, since it’s rare you get a big man who comes in as a 4 year starter like all these guys have been.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I had no idea Greene was even eligible to come back. That would be huge. He fills up the stat sheet in several different categories almost nightly.

He has an attitude and fire our team of nice guys desperately needs.

By George.

Starter
Javonte Perkins announced he’s returning to SLU for another year using his COVID eligibility. We’ll see more of this in the A10, including at Mason. Why leave college if ya don’t have to?!

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Javonte Perkins announced he’s returning to SLU for another year using his COVID eligibility. We’ll see more of this in the A10, including at Mason. Why leave college if ya don’t have to?!
To get paid? Let’s not pretend SLU is in the same situation as Mason next season.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Where is Greene going to get paid? Yugoslavia? Plenty of years to get paid, not many left to enjoy the freedoms of college.

Yugoslavia doesn’t even exist anymore. But if I had a chance to play professional ball in Croatia or Serbia I’d jump.

Greene has a chance to play in Spain or Italy or Germany, man. If he wants to come back, all power to him. He might be thinking he could jump that smaller first league and go to a bigger league with another year (also travel restrictions will still be around after the season and getting a first contract might be harder than it will in 2022, didn’t think of that).

By George.

Starter
Yugoslavia doesn’t even exist anymore. But if I had a chance to play professional ball in Croatia or Serbia I’d jump.

Greene has a chance to play in Spain or Italy or Germany, man. If he wants to come back, all power to him. He might be thinking he could jump that smaller first league and go to a bigger league with another year (also travel restrictions will still be around after the season and getting a first contract might be harder than it will in 2022, didn’t think of that).

It was a joke but you’re probably right. I think he’ll be back.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It was a joke but you’re probably right. I think he’ll be back.

In all seriousness, though, if you want all the beauty and “some” of the romance of Italy without the Italy tourist markup, hit up Split. It is awesome there.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Where is Greene going to get paid? Yugoslavia? Plenty of years to get paid, not many left to enjoy the freedoms of college.
If undersized Otis can get a contract in Denmark, there’s no reason Greene couldn’t land somewhere in Europe or a lesser Turkey team. I mean I’m sure you’ve listened to expat on yalls network, most of these mid major guys start in the lesser euro leagues and work their way up... also from the pod, there’s not as many years as you think. Most of these guys have less than 10 years of earning potential in Europe after they leave college before they have to find a new career. I’d venture to say a majority probably make it less than 5 before it doesn’t work out anymore. So not really a ton of time to get paid to play the game. I hope he comes back, but a lot more reasons to think all the seniors will move on than not.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

This is a big reason why more guys than expected will be coming back for another year. Gonna be fewer opportunities overseas until COVID is in our rear-view mirror ... may as well take advantage of another year of free education while it’s available.