Game 2: GMU (1-0) vs Austin Peay (1-0) on Friday, November 10, at 7:00 PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Austin Peay comes into the game 1-0 with a 90-72 win over Life University.

Austin Peay is a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference (ASUN). They were picked to finish 8th out of 12 in the Preseason Coaches Poll and 11th in the media poll. Last year Austin Peay was 9-22 (3-15) and finished dead last in the 14 team conference. Throw that record out, it is meaningless. See below.

The name of this thread should really be GMU vs the 2022-2023 Northwestern St. Demons. Austin Peay is starting over with new coach Corey Gipson. Gipson played at Austin Peay for two seasons (2002-04) and worked as an assistant coach for Dave Loos for three seasons (2012-15). He was the head coach at Northwestern State during the 2022-23 season. Gipson turned around a Demons program that won nine games the year prior his arrival. He led the Demons to a 22-9 record, a win at then-No. 15 TCU, and a No. 2 seed in the Southland Conference Tournament. An impressive first year resume to say the least.

KenPom: Gives us a 69% chance of winning.
GMU - 164
Austin Peay - 202
NET:
GMU - NA
Austin Peay - NA

We are 2-0 all-time against Austin Peay.

Schedule: https://letsgopeay.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2023-24
Roster: https://letsgopeay.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Box Score vs Life: https://letsgopeay.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24/life/boxscore/12706

Austin Peay’s line-up was a hot mess last year with 14 different guys starting games and 13 guys averaging double digit minutes in the games they played in. They lost their top three scorers from last year.

In total, six players transferred to Austin Peay from Northwestern St. 6’3” Demarcus Sharp (19.5 ppg at Northwestern St.), 6’4” Ja’Monta Black (15.4 ppg for Northwestern St.), and 6’2” Isaac Haney (11.0 ppg for Northwestern St.) appear to be the future for the Governors. Northwestern St, finished 22-11 (13-5), (NET 205 & KenPom 215) last year competing in the Southland Conference. Also of interest to me is 7’3” 352 pound Jordan Wilmore. I am curious just to see this young man who must be an absolute load in the paint. He played 28 games, starting 12, for Northwestern St.

During the 22-23 campaign Austin Peay averaged 66.7 ppg while giving up 72.3 ppg. As a team they shot 41.5% from the field and 32.2% from 3. Opponents shot 47.8% overall and 34.1% from 3. The Governors averaged 11.7 turnovers per game and shot 72.7 from the charity stripe. Opponents out rebounded them by an average of 3.9 boards per game.

The game is on ESPN+ and MASN.

My prediction: Gipson's Northwestern St. team made its mark on the defensive end last season. They led the Southland in scoring defense (72.1 ppg). They ranked 37th in the NCAA in steals per game (8.3) and turnovers forced per game (14.8). Northwestern State also took care of the basketball better than any team in the Southland, leading the league in fewest turnovers per game (11.9) while ranking second in the conference and 34th in Division I in turnover margin (+2.9).

When I originally saw Austin Peay on our schedule and looked at their dismal performance last year I immediately thought easy win. Not so much now. I expect them to be vastly improved under the direction of Gipson.

GMU wins a close one 75-72.

Discuss.

Attachments

• MasonVSAP.jpg
    MasonVSAP.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 40,273
Last edited by a moderator:

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is gonna be a tough one. Gotta guy that averaged 19.5 last year and a 3 point sharpshooter.

I see that though they are winning easily against an NAIA team tonight, they are being outrebounded. Maybe Mason can do damage around the basket. Glad Mason has Maddox, who can certainly shoot with any of Austin Peay's guys. Also - Dez White starts for them.

Last edited:

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
To have 18 turnovers and still beat a team by double digits shows we may have much more fault tolerance than in previous years.

It seems we may no longer have to play a near perfect game in order to win handily. I expect us to make a lot of mistakes but I no longer feel that automatically equals a loss.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
What I am hearing is that six guys had no other option than to transfer to APU. If they were actually good they would have transferred somewhere better.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What I am hearing is that six guys had no other option than to transfer to APU. If they were actually good they would have transferred somewhere better.
If my math is correct, we had 8 players transfer in (including Haynes), so I hope that's not a true indicator.

FreeGunston12

All-American
This should NOT be a close game. For reference, Dez White (yes, former Mason committ Dez White) was Austin Peay's third leading scorer and also third in minutes played against the powerhouse Life University Running Eagles in their opener. It was a 1 point game as late as with 13 minutes to play before Austin Peay pulled away.

Mason by 20.

Cool story though - Hansel Enmanuel has one arm and will play minutes for Austin Peay.

Austin Peay has more NCAA Tournament appearances than Mason (7 vs our 6)

A lower level program shouldn't have more NCAA Tournament appearances than us

Anyway, Mason will win this game

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I dunno, looks like the Northwestern St. coach gotta a new job and brought his better players with him. Northwestern St. did beat TCU last year...

Looks like they have a good, guard oriented team. Their best offensive player only had 10 last night. (also 10 rebounds & no turnovers) He ended up with 7 assists, most likely to the guy hitting all the threes. Another guard had 20+. They're not world beaters, but GMU may have to pick their poison to some degree.

Yeah, they were playing an NAIA team. However, they won their NAIA game by more than GMU won its NAIA game.

It'll be close imo.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I dunno, looks like the Northwestern St. coach gotta a new job and brought his better players with him. Northwestern St. did beat TCU last year...

Looks like they have a good, guard oriented team. Their best offensive player only had 10 last night. (also 10 rebounds & no turnovers) He ended up with 7 assists, most likely to the guy hitting all the threes. Another guard had 20+. They're not world beaters, but GMU may have to pick their poison to some degree.

Yeah, they were playing an NAIA team. However, they won their NAIA game by more than GMU won its NAIA game.

It'll be close imo.
Right now I think all of the games we win will be close. Until (hopefully) we gel.

JC_FoodcourtBandit

Preferred Walk-On
I think it will be a close game as well not even because of the opponent but more on us. 10 new players, figuring out rotations, running new plays, and new coaching staff will make even the “easy” games more challenging

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Another tune up game but probably won’t be as easy

Mason 75
Austin pee pee 70

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I obviously have more confidence in Tony. Outcome won’t be in doubt after the first five minutes.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I obviously have more confidence in Tony. Outcome won’t be in doubt after the first five minutes.
We have played so many games since L left that we lost when we should have won, or won a squeaker that should have been a blowout, that I'm hedging my bets on winning big...until we actually do...consistently.
Still, I hope you are right.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We have played so many games since L left that we lost when we should have won, or won a squeaker that should have been a blowout, that I'm hedging my bets on winning big...until we actually do...consistently.
Still, I hope you are right.

I’ve seen enough of this team to not be overly confident as well, but looking to Toledo, Tulane and/or the MTE for this team to struggle. Should win these next two, I think.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
We still have some "gelling" to do as a team comprised of a lot of new people. However, we do have athleticism and are aggressive on defense and around the rim.

Mason - 70
Austin Pee Pee - 60

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The press is most lacking thus far but it will come.
Mason 77
AP 63