Game 2 - AT Lamar, Nov 12th, 8 PM, No TV

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I agree, 99. With the exception of the barrage of 3s AU hit early on, I think our defense did a decent job. My main concern is the amount of indecisiveness on offense. It won't matter how small Beaumont's frontline is tonight, because Knight is probably smart enough to counter our height advantage with zone defense.

To win tonight's game, our guards have to be aggressive. They need to penetrate and either score or dish off to our big men underneath. If we stand around on the perimeter playing catch until we have to fling up a 3 before the shot clock expires, we won't be leaving Texas with a win.

I'm not worried about our offense long-term. I think BA is aggressive enough to penetrate and dish to open guys (who I think will eventually hit those open shots) and we will get enough inside scoring from JA, Marko and JW. What worries me is our defense. Specifically, our perimeter defense. This idea of doubling down on guys who are no threat at all in the post is insane and will kill us. There's no reason to double down on a post player who is just as likely to travel as make a bucket down low.

JBiggs

Starter
No Copes and no Arledge in the frontcourt tonight. We may see 10 minutes or so from AO, which I'm fine with. He's not a very good offensive player, but he plays good D, hustles hard, and grabs rebounds. We could use some of that.

I'm also guessing we may see some small ball since Lamar lacks in size. I wouldn't mind seeing a 4-guard lineup with Sherrod at the 4. He's a pretty effective post scorer, and is an excellent rebounder, as we all know. It will be interesting to see how Hewitt approaches this game.

I would hope to start the game, the guards will feed it to J2 and Marko to just pound away inside and get Lamar's backcourt to start sagging in. Every single possession should get at least one post touch. I swear, a guy like Johnny at 6-8, 260, with the offensive skill he possesses, should be able to drop 20 on a team like this without breaking a sweat. How in the world can a guy that is 6-5, 215 stop him from the low post? He can back him under the basket all day, and if anybody doubles him, he can kick it back out to an open shooter. Rinse and repeat.

I hope somebody can put some fire in that young man's belly, because it's so frustrating watching a player of his caliber struggle, sore shoulder notwithstanding. One of his teammates should tell him that he overheard the Lamar guys talking about how fat and ugly his momma is, and that Memphis BBQ sucks.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
#trollsohard

I don't get it. I pick G Mas to beat AU 58-51 and the G Mas wins by 3 pts at home. I pick G Mas to lose on the road to LeMar by 4 pts. and I'm a troll? Don't get it.

JBiggs

Starter
I don't get it. I pick G Mas to beat AU 58-51 and the G Mas wins by 3 pts at home. I pick G Mas to lose on the road to LeMar by 4 pts. and I'm a troll? Don't get it.
You like getting a rise out of people, and always have since the Zone days if I'm remembering correctly. That's fine, I don't mind. I just like to joke about it.

And to clarify, saying we won't break 60 points against both AU and "LeMar" is trolling in my mind. If you're being completely honest about how you feel the team will perform, you can let me know, and I'll leave you alone about it.

JBiggs

Starter
Jenkins may have his coming out party tonight, with Arledge and Copes out.
If he plays with the intensity he displayed on Friday, he should certainly get the playing time to have a good shot at a coming out party. I'd like to see what he can do with the ball in his hands. I don't think he actually had the ball passed to him on Friday. His points came off a lob and a rebound-putback, if I recall correctly.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He had the ball passed to him once, on a break, and immediately had it stolen from behind by a defender he probably didn't see. His teammates let him down by making a bad pass - I don't think he should be bringing the ball up the court with 2 defenders trailing him. Find the open man instead.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Did Arledge even make the trip? If his back is bothering him, the last thing he needs is a long roundtrip flight to Texas.

JBiggs

Starter
He had the ball passed to him once, on a break, and immediately had it stolen from behind by a defender he probably didn't see. His teammates let him down by making a bad pass - I don't think he should be bringing the ball up the court with 2 defenders trailing him. Find the open man instead.
Haha, yeah that's not a great decision by his teammate. I must not have caught that. I meant getting the ball in the half-court, or at the very least on a fast break when he's actually open for a runaway slam.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I know it is late notice, but a couple of us will be watching the stream at Brion's tonight just in case you want to have the gmubrian (also known as the Barbecue Bourbon Ribeye) while watching the game. You can eat other things too, of course.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Perhaps I was too critical of Arledge in the opener. If he was hurting, that probably explains his poor showing. I hope he gets healthy for Saturday.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Perhaps I was too critical of Arledge in the opener. If he was hurting, that probably explains his poor showing. I hope he gets healthy for Saturday.

He was obviously well enough in the first half when he monster-dunked over the AU player in the first half. I wonder if he got hurt on that play or in the second half.

I hope this isn't an injury that lingers all year, but it was smart to leave him back to rest and get treatment. We will obviously be at a disadvantage without our starting frontcourt tonight, but it's a good opportunity for J2, Marko and Jenkins to step up.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm not worried about our offense long-term. I think BA is aggressive enough to penetrate and dish to open guys (who I think will eventually hit those open shots) and we will get enough inside scoring from JA, Marko and JW. What worries me is our defense. Specifically, our perimeter defense. This idea of doubling down on guys who are no threat at all in the post is insane and will kill us. There's no reason to double down on a post player who is just as likely to travel as make a bucket down low.

Whole-heartedly agree with this statement. Two things really need to happen:

1) Our guards HAVE to prevent dribble drive penetration into the paint. If they're going to switch on every screen, they HAVE to switch back as soon as they run through it. Don't force Marko or JW to defend a guard slashing to the basket. That's never a good situation.

2) They HAVE to start trusting our forwards to defend the paint. There's really no reason to collapse and leave shooters open on the perimeter the second the ball gets thrown into the post. I know this must be part of Hewitt's design and part of the high ball pressure defense, but they have to abandon it, because our guards are a) not disrupting enough and b) aren't closing out on shooters quick enough.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Right now I'm just watching a rotating bird and listening to the National Anthem.