Game 2 - AT Lamar, Nov 12th, 8 PM, No TV

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I actually think our defense is more disciplined than last years. After the first 8 minutes - the defense started clamping down and then in the second half really did not leave threes wide open except two.

I've seen a few people write that, but I don't agree. I saw American making open threes at the start of the game and missing open threes the rest of the time. We'll see as the season goes on.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I actually think our defense is more disciplined than last years. After the first 8 minutes - the defense started clamping down and then in the second half really did not leave threes wide open except two.

Actually my perception was that at least early in the second half AU was still open from 3--they just were missing (and by a LOT!). I'd need to watch the second half again (which I'm not going to do) to be sure of this, but I'm presently not convinced that our 3 pt defense was responsible for them cooling off.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
We did hold AU to 39 points over the last 33 minutes of the game, outscoring them by 21 over that time. I'm not sure it's as bad as some make it out to be.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We did hold AU to 39 points over the last 33 minutes of the game, outscoring them by 21 over that time. I'm not sure it's as bad as some make it out to be.

I agree, 99. With the exception of the barrage of 3s AU hit early on, I think our defense did a decent job. My main concern is the amount of indecisiveness on offense. It won't matter how small Beaumont's frontline is tonight, because Knight is probably smart enough to counter our height advantage with zone defense.

To win tonight's game, our guards have to be aggressive. They need to penetrate and either score or dish off to our big men underneath. If we stand around on the perimeter playing catch until we have to fling up a 3 before the shot clock expires, we won't be leaving Texas with a win.

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I would like to see us making a better percentage of our FTs... shooting 61.3% (19-31) is inexcusable. Making 80% or better would be a great start. In addition, we had a 14-9 advantage over American in offensive rebounds, which led to 2nd chance points. We need to continue that.

13 TOs vs 7 assists is meh. I would like to see more assists if we can get them, use our big men in the paint.

JBiggs

Starter
Not sure where he got the info, but Kish tweeted that Marko is starting in place of Arledge tonight. Possible back issue for Jon that Hewitt referenced a week or so ago.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not sure where he got the info, but Kish tweeted that Marko is starting in place of Arledge tonight. Possible back issue for Jon that Hewitt referenced a week or so ago.

This very well could be due to an injury, but I wouldn't be shocked if this is a message to Arledge. Hewitt benched him earlier in the season last year for playing too passively, and it seemed to work. To say his play against AU was disappointing would be a huge understatement.

With Jon's size and athletic ability, he should have no problem averaging 14 points and 7 boards a game. Unfortunately, he doesn't appear to have the mental toughness to match those God-given physical abilities. Injury or not, maybe not starting is the wake-up call he needs.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not sure if Hewitt tried giving JA the benefit of the doubt, but clearly he should of been benched for lack of effort in first half of AU game. Why did he bench Edwards and not a more expierenced player? Should be the same deal for under performing. I think this part of coaching burdens Hewitt.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not sure if Hewitt tried giving JA the benefit of the doubt, but clearly he should of been benched for lack of effort in first half of AU game. Why did he bench Edwards and not a more expierenced player? Should be the same deal for under performing. I think this part of coaching burdens Hewitt.

Not having Copes and having JW leave because of a shoulder injury I'm sure had something I do with it.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Then why is marko starting? Unless he was hurt too..makes little sense. And lets not forget going with 4 guards wasn't considered. Should have been.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Then why is marko starting? Unless he was hurt too..makes little sense. And lets not forget going with 4 guards wasn't considered. Should have been.

Unless your guards weren't very effective either (unless you like Grays 1-6 performance). Three players willed us to victory against AU Marko, Allen and when Sherrod finally woke up him too.

Marko took a knee to the thigh.