Game 18: GMU (13-4 / 2-2) at GW (13-3 / 2-1) on Monday, January 15, at 2:00 PM.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
imo....
Patriot Pressure needs to generate more steals. We are last in steals. Time to up the pressure so it creates offense.

Hall needs to incorporate 'facilitator' to his game.

Gotta get Woody going on defense. I bet will help his shooting.

Maybe rethink the offense so we are more strategic and less hero ball.
Yeah, "Patriot Pressure" is pretty much a misnomer to date.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Did Tony ever specifically define the term?
Just what is it?

He defined it as a mindset, not a strategy. But even still we have the length and athleticism to be more aggressive in attempting steals. I mentioned Woody Newton’s ability with his length to jump passes and get runouts (he’s done this a few times). Billups also did something similar at the end of the first half against vcu (and then the team let them answer immediately, which was not so great).

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Been offline for a bit and really only caught the (low?)lights but I don't think the problem is with our guys on an individual level. Some people have kind of hit on it already, but if we're gonna play conservative, "play the percentages" defense, then we need to have a far more dynamic offense.

On another level, we really need to start scheduling better in the OOC. Yes, I'm aware we fall in that weird grey zone of teams no one wants to play because it can only really hurt them, but we need to get a whole lot more #100-#150 on the schedule every year. It's not a new phenomenon that we walk through OOC beating the teams we should and losing to the ones we deserve to, only to get punched in the f**king mouth the first few weeks of the A10 slate.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
And finally, Coach Skinn highlighted that he wants, not just the team, but the fans to put “Patriot Pressure” on every opponent that comes into EBA. I asked Coach Skinn to elaborate on that and he told me “We are going to use a press, we are going to be a defensive minded team that utilizes a 2-2-1 Pressing style that translates defense to offense as a program.” That’s something that we haven’t seen as a program in a long time and I for one, am rather excited to see this executed by Coach Skinn and his staff.

“Patriot Pressure is simply this: We're going to play. We're also going to play fast. There is a press that kind of gets us going. But overall, Patriot Pressure is not limited to us,” Skinn said.Nov 17, 2023

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He defined it as a mindset, not a strategy. But even still we have the length and athleticism to be more aggressive in attempting steals. I mentioned Woody Newton’s ability with his length to jump passes and get runouts (he’s done this a few times). Billups also did something similar at the end of the first half against vcu (and then the team let them answer immediately, which was not so great).
Thanks. And yeah, I remember that. Why in the world do teams let one guy drive the length of the court and score at the end of halfs and games All. The. Time!?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Thanks. And yeah, I remember that. Why in the world do teams let one guy drive the length of the court and score at the end of halfs and games All. The. Time!?
This happens that frequently? It happened in the vcu game because I think Billups was down on the floor and someone was sorta celebrating with him (forget who). Before we knew it they were off to the races. I haven't seen it happen that much.
Been offline for a bit and really only caught the (low?)lights but I don't think the problem is with our guys on an individual level. Some people have kind of hit on it already, but if we're gonna play conservative, "play the percentages" defense, then we need to have a far more dynamic offense.

On another level, we really need to start scheduling better in the OOC. Yes, I'm aware we fall in that weird grey zone of teams no one wants to play because it can only really hurt them, but we need to get a whole lot more #100-#150 on the schedule every year. It's not a new phenomenon that we walk through OOC beating the teams we should and losing to the ones we deserve to, only to get punched in the f**king mouth the first few weeks of the A10 slate.
Yep - beating the drum here. I will say if Mason can stick in the top 100 NET (praying this happens) this year, they will be invited to better opportunities. Otherwise they'll end up in that boring gray area.
And finally, Coach Skinn highlighted that he wants, not just the team, but the fans to put “Patriot Pressure” on every opponent that comes into EBA. I asked Coach Skinn to elaborate on that and he told me “We are going to use a press, we are going to be a defensive minded team that utilizes a 2-2-1 Pressing style that translates defense to offense as a program.” That’s something that we haven’t seen as a program in a long time and I for one, am rather excited to see this executed by Coach Skinn and his staff.

“Patriot Pressure is simply this: We're going to play. We're also going to play fast. There is a press that kind of gets us going. But overall, Patriot Pressure is not limited to us,” Skinn said.Nov 17, 2023
I agree that we definitely need to see more of a pressing mix it up style. That said, when Mason is behind or not executing fundamentals on defense (which Skinn hinted to during his halftime interview against GW), I'm not sure it makes sense to mix it up that much. That said, I'd love to see us execute fundamentally, get out and run, get out to a lead and THEN throw in wrinkles to prevent the other team from trying to mount a big run or getting comfortable. Unfortunately this hasn't happened in the last few games so I feel like we may have had to stick to fundamentals that much more. I think that makes sense?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Despite our 3 game losing streak we are still sitting at an 84 NET. But they can’t afford to lose to any more teams outside the top 100 (that would be Davidson, Duquesne, URI, Loyola twice, Fordham, and our return game with GW left on the schedule). That 9 wins. Find a way to beat Richmond and Bonaventure at home gets us to 11. Bonus points for beating Dayton or St. Joes once and we get to 12. I’m not sure how much faith I put into the team accomplishing that, but that’ll go a long way toward seeding in the tournament and scheduling next year in OOC.

Edit: forgot UMass on here. That’s another path to 11 or 12 wins.

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Yep, really tiresome. And deflating.
Hopes up. Crash!!

This happens that frequently? It happened in the vcu game because I think Billups was down on the floor and someone was sorta celebrating with him (forget who). Before we knew it they were off to the races. I haven't seen it happen that much.

Yep - beating the drum here. I will say if Mason can stick in the top 100 NET (praying this happens) this year, they will be invited to better opportunities. Otherwise they'll end up in that boring gray area.

I agree that we definitely need to see more of a pressing mix it up style. That said, when Mason is behind or not executing fundamentals on defense (which Skinn hinted to during his halftime interview against GW), I'm not sure it makes sense to mix it up that much. That said, I'd love to see us execute fundamentally, get out and run, get out to a lead and THEN throw in wrinkles to prevent the other team from trying to mount a big run or getting comfortable. Unfortunately this hasn't happened in the last few games so I feel like we may have had to stick to fundamentals that much more. I think that makes sense?
Good catch. My point was that over the years, I have seen it over and over. Especially when a team doesn't want to foul. Let's say they have a 3 point lead with a few seconds left. All they really need to do to seal the win is put on some pressure, but noooo, they let a guy drive, score, and then the game is once again in the balance. I wasn't referring to us specifically. My bad.

Despite our 3 game losing streak we are still sitting at an 84 NET. But they can’t afford to lose to any more teams outside the top 100 (that would be Davidson, Duquesne, URI, Loyola twice, Fordham, and our return game with GW left on the schedule). That 9 wins. Find a way to beat Richmond and Bonaventure at home gets us to 11. Bonus points for beating Dayton or St. Joes once and we get to 12. I’m not sure how much faith I put into the team accomplishing that, but that’ll go a long way toward seeding in the tournament and scheduling next year in OOC.
Pleeeease!

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
All,
Always remember the difference between a dollar and the dallas cowboys. With a dollar, you will always get 4 quarters.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: