Game 17: AT George Washington University, Saturday, January 17th, 4:30 PM, NBCSN

That's PoorMan Profit. Please try to follow the plot lines and keep scanning those student IDs.

I thought you guys were friends. Apologize if that isn't the case. Hence why I asked about your FRIENDS a fake gf. Not yours.

You keeping up? And don't worry about me keeping up. I'm easily a few steps ahead of you.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
You guys are scaring the hell at me saying there is any possibility Hewitt will not be fired at the end of the year. If that is a possibility, I feel the need to express that I, and the few remaining die hards (look at Pablo, GMUTom, etc. who are also at the end of their rope), will likely not be contributing to the program any more, or attending games. And this needs to be done by the end of the season.

A new coach can come in and win next year, however, we can't keep Hewitt after this year because we will either have to extend him or have him as a lame duck, which will make it all that much harder for a coach to come in two years from now and turn the program around.

For my own sanity, I have to believe though that Edwards and Cabrera know that they need to make a change, and are willing to do so.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I wouldn't put it past KA to be masterfully trolling this entire board.

I also wouldn't put it past a Mason administrator to completely botch this situation.

So that's where I am.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

I also wouldn't put it past a Mason administrator to completely botch this situation.

So that's where I am.

Seriously, I'm sure that KA is a great guy. But, if I'm not mistaken, his best source is a nephew who was a student-athlete at New Hampshire. At least, A.-Siegfried works in the Field House.

The bottom line is that unless Hewitt turns things around quickly, the school can't afford to keep him beyond this season.

wijg

Starter

So that's where I am.
This, exactly! Hopefully he is gone at the end of the year, but until it is done, it is a possibility that it is not. That is why I think fans should, if they don't intend to continue under Hewitt, let the school know what they are going to lose. This will make it harder for a Mason administrator to botch it. Better safe than sorry.

If they botch it because they don't think there is a groundswell to get rid of Hewitt, shame on us. If they decide to botch it knowing what kind of drop in donations/tickets they are facing, shame on them.

KAOriginal

All-American
Seriously, I'm sure that KA is a great guy. But, if I'm not mistaken, his best source is a nephew who was a student-athlete at New Hampshire. At least, A.-Siegfried works in the Field House.

The bottom line is that unless Hewitt turns things around quickly, the school can't afford to keep him beyond this season.

FOR THE RECORD...

My nephew graduated and my new source is Edward's hairdresser.

Or maybe I am Hewitt. Or his wife. Or his realtor in Jamaica.

Whether I or my source is right or wrong.....the point is the same.

WE HAVE TO ACTIVELY LET MASON KNOW OUR DISPLEASURE AND NOT WAIT....

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
This, exactly! Hopefully he is gone at the end of the year, but until it is done, it is a possibility that it is not. That is why I think fans should, if they don't intend to continue under Hewitt, let the school know what they are going to lose. This will make it harder for a Mason administrator to botch it. Better safe than sorry.

If they botch it because they don't think there is a groundswell to get rid of Hewitt, shame on us. If they decide to botch it knowing what kind of drop in donations/tickets they are facing, shame on them.

I'll take it one step futher. We should communicate not only what they would lose, but also what we could gain with a new coach. Donations, ticket sales, goodwill, fan interest, etc.

polepino

Starter
WE are the PASSIONATE followers.

I have been cautioned, that in the whole picture of the University, letting Hewitt go another year, even as a lame duck etc, does not make others lose sleep at night like it does for most of us here. While we see it as a nightmare....there is a more general view that his contract could run its course and the rebuild could just re-start after that, even if its not the perfect world of recruiting windows, etc. No different than a lackluster professor doesn't get fired in the middle of the year unless there is some overwhelming cause for it.

I can so see this happneing. They are already on year four, according to the department, why not just let it run out and THEN look for a new coach? We saw it at JMU and Deleware and now are seeing what happend but, as far as I'm reading into it through these boards, we can't exactly buy him out(according to some posters) so let him do his final contracted year and then evaluate. He wouldnt stop recruiting if he believes hes going to try his best to keep his job, right? (playing devils advocate here of course, I know I have no input whatsoever to what the higher ups do ultimately even though I can email, call, drop financial support, flame message boards, etc but as usual I'm open to correction here)

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Hewitt absolutely needs to be fired before or at the end of this season, but I think some fans are deluding themselves if they think doing so will be some sort of panacea. Getting rid of Patient Zero will certainly help, but our entire program could be quarantined for many years to come as a result of this disease.

Depending on defections and the guard-less roster Hewitt has created, we are looking at a rebuild that could take years — and that's assuming we actually make a good hire. I'm also worried what we will have left to spend if we eat the last year of Hewitt's contract. Hiring some hot assistant could mean we end up with the next Ernie Nestor, who many might recall was considered a great hire at the time.

I absolutely agree Hewitt has to go, but our program is screwed for the next several years regardless. May God have mercy on our souls.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Hewitt absolutely needs to be fired before or at the end of this season, but I think some fans are deluding themselves if they think doing so will be some sort of panacea. Getting rid of Patient Zero will certainly help, but our entire program could be quarantined for many years to come as a result of this disease.

Depending on defections and the guard-less roster Hewitt has created, we are looking at a rebuild that could take years — and that's assuming we actually make a good hire. I'm also worried what we will have left to spend if we eat the last year of Hewitt's contract. Hiring some hot assistant could mean we end up with the next Ernie Nestor, who many might recall was considered a great hire at the time.

I absolutely agree Hewitt has to go, but our program is screwed for the next several years regardless. May God have mercy on our souls.

Frankly, I don't care if it takes a few years to turn the program around - just so the team starts playing fundamentally sound basketball again. If I have to continue to watch Patrick Holloway attempt contested off-balance 3-pt. FG 's with sufficient time on the shot clock I may puke in my wife's lap.

And, I'm hoping that Mason hires a good young head coach such as Zach Spiker or Scott Cherry.

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Frankly, I don't care if it takes a few years to turn the program around - just so the team starts playing fundamentally sound basketball again.

I completely agree, but even that will only equate to a few more wins a year with this roster. Contrary to some of the statements around here, a good coach could not make this a winning team. Hewitt has created such a mess with no great backcourt players, and that will leave his replacement with no choice but to essentially start over.

Seriously, who on this roster could any coach built around? We only have Thompson one more year, and Holloway and Jenkins seem to be regressing. Granted, that seems to be a trend under Hewitt, but I don't see one current player that has the upside to make an all-A10 team in the future (although the jury is still out on Mayimba, Lockett and maybe Porter if they all stay).

I'm admittedly patient to a fault, but even I don't see greener pastures ahead even if Hewitt is fired. Getting rid of him is the first step, but it's only the first step in what is going to be a very long and painful process.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Completely agree with KA. Message board talk is great, but each of you need to take action and let the Athletic Department or Patriot Club know how you feel. Give Edwards the ammunition he needs for his business case.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It's only the first step in what is going to be a very long and painful process.
It doesn't necessarily have to be long. Look how quickly GW, ODU, or Hofstra have turned things around. While we may lose some of our current roster, sometimes a new coach brings a few of his own players with him, as well.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Certainly a new coach isn't a panacea and finding the right one is a bit of a crapshoot.

But Larranaga came in with what looked like an empty cupboard (George Evans was in his first year and an unknown) and a godawful team. But he quickly recruited Miskiri and Herring and by the second semester, the improvement was palpable. We became competitive which was a significant step up from what he inherited.

Not saying that we can replicate that--both Nestor and Westhead were thought to be good hires and we know where that led. Just saying that the program is cursed for years to come is more of a worst case scenario.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Fifth year transfer rules completely change timetables now, Tom. Just look at GW last year with Maurice Creek, that's all it took, one fifth year transfer from Indiana and an injection of some talented young players.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
While we may lose some of our current roster, sometimes a new coach brings a few of his own players with him, as well.

That would surely shorten the window a little, but that also only the case if we hire somebody who is currently a head coach. It's very rare that a recruit will follow an assistant coach.

Like Gemini pointed out, we need to get lucky with a transfer like GW did with Creek or Towson did with Benimon. Speaking of Towson, it looks like the shine is wearing off a little bit with Skerry. He is only 1-4 in a very average year for the CAA. If we were to poach any coach from the CAA, I'd definitely take Shaver or Coen over Skerry.

Harry

Starter
If we were to poach any coach from the CAA, I'd definitely take Shaver or Coen over Skerry.
Shaver has certainly maximized his talent around the soon-to-be all-time leading scorer at W&M, Marcus Thornton. Could this be the year that the Tribe finally makes the NCAA tournament? If they make the finals, a trip to the armpit of a city might be warranted!

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I just want a reason to go to the Patriot Center. Even if our next coach isn't Larranaga II, a coach who plays solid basketball and gets the team to improve over the course of the season would be a welcome change.

From day 1 of Hewitt we've seen disgruntled offenses and head-scratching defenses no matter the roster. Frequent substitutions and time outs that make the game flow just not a pleasant experience for the fan.

I used to want wins. Now I just want to see enjoyable games where the team looks like it's going somewhere.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Only negative for Shaver is he will be 62 soon. I'm sure he'd love a shot at working in a program that will give him a lot more to work with than W&M does.