Game 16: GMU (8-7 / 1-1) vs St. Joe’s (8-9 / 2-4) on Monday, January 24, at 7PM. RESCHEDULED

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Rescheduled from 1/8.

St. Joe’s is currently 8 - 9 on the season and 2 - 4 in A10 play. They are 6 - 4 at home, 1 - 4 on the road, and 1 - 1 at neutral sites.

History: GMU is 8 - 4 against the Hawks as a member of the A10.

Wins: Maryland Eastern Shore, Mount St. Mary’s, Georgetown, Binghamton, Penn, Temple, Richmond, GW
Losses: Drexel, Monmouth, USC, Villanova, Bradley, Davidson, Rhode Island, LaSalle, vcu
Canceled: Holy Cross

Schedule: https://sjuhawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://sjuhawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sjuhawks.com/stats/mbball/2021/pdf/cume.pdf

St. Joe’s is led by 6’7” Jordan Hall (15.3 ppg & 6.6 reb), 6’8” Taylor Funk (14.2 ppg & 7.4 reb), and 6’10” Ejike Obinna (12.9 ppg & 7.6 reb). 6’2” Erik Reynolds II (9.8 ppg) is the only other Hawk to have started every game. 6’5” Cameron Brown (7.6 ppg), 6’8” Kacper Klaczek 1.5 ppg), and 7’0” Charles Coleman (1.9 ppg) have all been the fifth starter over the course of the year. 6’5” Dahmir Bishop (4.4 ppg) plays a bit over 18 minutes per game off the bench.

St. Joe’s averages 71.1 points per game while giving up 70.4. The Hawks shoot 42.8% from the floor and 33.0% from 3. Opponents are shooting 41.9% from the field and 35.5% from 3. The Hawks shoot 65.4% from the free throw line. They have out rebounded opponents by 3.5 boards per game.

The game is on ESPN+.

My prediction: It’s not too hard to see that they have 3 players who need to be keyed on. Outside of their top 3 there really isn’t much to fear. Captain Obvious reports that if you stop or slow down Hall, Funk, and Obinna you win. Funk and Hall were chosen to the preseason A10 second team. GMU 69 - St. Joe’s 64. The obnoxious Hawk who flaps his wings every damn minute of the game goes home with nothing but tired arms.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"For the second time this season, Saint Joseph's freshman guard Erik Reynolds II has been named Atlantic 10 Men's Basketball Rookie of the Week, conference officials announced on Monday.

In the Hawks' lone game on the week, Reynolds II had a career night at Richmond, scoring a season-high 17 points on 7-12 (.583) shooting, including 3-6 (.500) from three-point distance, to go with four rebounds and an assist in an 83-56 Saint Joseph's win. Reynolds II, who is currently averaging 9.4 points, 1.8 assists and 1.8 rebounds per game, was previously named A-10 Rookie of the Week on November 22."

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I was surprised to say the least that St. Joe's absolutely killed the Spiders by 27 in Richmond! From the box score, it looks like Richmond had everybody but only shot ~35% overall and only 18% from 3. Meanwhile St. Joe's shot 61% overall and 36% on their 3's. Didn't think they were supposed to be that good.

I read in the other thread that St Joes will require a negative COVID test or proof of vaccination to their home games and with Philys all time high murder rate if you dont get in you are very likely to be killed so bewares

EDIT-I just saw this game is at Eagle Bank Arena so probably no worries of being killed unless you eat Oh Georges dogshit food or something pregame

Predixtion-Sloppy Joes good Mason Patriot win

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
St Joes is always terrible, how they beat Richmond I don't know. I expect them to finish in the PIG.

If this game actually gets played on Saturday, I expect Mason to hold serve at home and take the W. St Joes has some good talent and I really wanted Erik Reynolds to come to Mason. Once Lange is fired after this year I'm sure he will hit the portal to a Power 5 though.

Same gameplan as always against them, stop Funk, make them miss the 3s they shoot.

Mason 75
Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo 64

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Obinna went to a local high school - Virginia Academy. He is from a poor area in Africa and was given an opportunity with a scholarship to high school by Antwan Randle El. He was also sponsored by a host family here in Ashburn.

My son went to the same school and we know the host family (great people). Nicest hardest working kid in the world. Great to see him doing well after only getting spot minutes ar Vanderbilt. I think he had a five year stretch without seeing his family to chase the dream.

Rooting for him this season (unless vs Mason).

Last edited:

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
St. Joes has really improved their paint defense this season and they are not the pushover that they were the last two seasons.

We are going to need to contain Hall and Funk (and Reynolds) on the perimeter if we want to win this one.

Lange may escape the PIG this year, because there are at least 4 worse teams in the league

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I read in the other thread that St Joes will require a negative COVID test or proof of vaccination to their home games and with Philys all time high murder rate if you dont get in you are very likely to be killed so bewares

EDIT-I just saw this game is at Eagle Bank Arena so probably no worries of being killed unless you eat Oh Georges dogshit food or something pregame

Predixtion-Sloppy Joes good Mason Patriot win

It'll be proof of vax from the 17th on. Fair point about Philly gun violence, though I'm guessing Hawk Hill is pretty safe. I'd think the few anti-vaxxers who get turned away from Hagan are more likely to catch covid than a Philly bullet.

Last edited:

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Mason requiring boosters for students & faculty/staff. I haven't noticed if Eagle Bank has followed suit.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Davidson defeated Saint Joseph's 88-73 at Hagan Arena for its 10th consecutive victory.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I've watched a lot of SJU games (friends with a few alumni) and haven't missed a SJU/ GMU game in maybe 10 years. Really hope they play and we are at full strength, not that we need to be to beat SJU.

Lange is a lousy coach who crazily seems committed to jacking up threes in spite of not being able to make enough of them to be competitive. The very definition of insanity, as I believe their 3pt% placed ranked them around among the worst 300 teams in DI each of the last two years.

Hall is obviously very talented but has an issue with TOs. Funk made a splash as a freshman 5 years ago, then kind of leveled off. The thing with Funk is he has a very hard time creating his own shot. You could neuter him by playing him close. He adapted by shooting well beyond the arc, before the defense was set. I am certain our coaches are aware of this. Make things tough on Funk and St. Joes has a hard time winning.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

Hall is obviously very talented but has an issue with TOs. Funk made a splash as a freshman 5 years ago, then kind of leveled off. The thing with Funk is he has a very hard time creating his own shot. You could neuter him by playing him close. He adapted by shooting well beyond the arc, before the defense was set. I am certain our coaches are aware of this. Make things tough on Funk and St. Joes has a hard time winning.
I remember a game where Otis Livingston, giving up a foot or so, played Funk man-to-man. When I first saw the matchup, I thought Funk would take him down low and have a field day. Not so.....stayed on the perimeter and was pretty much held in check

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
As a follow up to my last post, my friends who are rabid St. Joe alumni tired of Phil Martelli about 4-5 years ago and decided he needed to be fired (which of course, he was -- lots of alums were unhappy).

A mistake, I thought because from my vantage point, Martelli looked pretty good. We had suffered through the Hewitt tenure and did not yet know what we had with Paulsen. Sure, Martelli wasn't getting his program into the tourney every year, but he was always able to attract NBA-level talent and they did make regular appearances in the NCAA. In short, a solid program.

Well, my friends got their wish and Martelli got drummed out in favor of Lange.

We all know Lange's record his first two years. He SUCKED. One of my SJU friends urged patience, "These aren't Billy's guys...give him time" but the other had seen enough - especially after they lost to Temple by 47 last year (I believe the worst L in program history), and was ready to move on. To this day, even after the beatdown they delivered against Richmond, he still insists he'd fire Lange if he could.

While they had very different opinions about Lange they both agreed that Jordan Hall was a jewel who could deliver them from the darkness and to the Promised Land.

During the offseason many of you no doubt remember when Hall - SJU's precious, franchise-building point guard - suddenly tweeted out that he was done with St. Joe and Philly and was transferring to Texas Tech (or was it Texas A&M?).

Naturally, my friends were CRUSHED and apoplectic. Now, without Hall, the cupboards were truly bare and the situation hopeless.

At this very moment I had an epiphany. I went onto Cameo and lo and behold, Martelli's on the platform (at a very affordable $25)! I didn't tell him my friends were St. Joe alumni. Just let him know they had recently received some devastating news (i.e., the sudden Hall departure) they were struggling to reconcile and come to terms with, and could use a pep talk.

Martelli then recorded this beauty, which I sent to my SJU buddies:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
As a follow up to my last post, my friends who are rabid St. Joe alumni tired of Phil Martelli about 4-5 years ago and decided he needed to be fired (which of course, he was -- lots of alums were unhappy).

A mistake, I thought because from my vantage point, Martelli looked pretty good. We had suffered through the Hewitt tenure and did not yet know what we had with Paulsen. Sure, Martelli wasn't getting his program into the tourney every year, but he was always able to attract NBA-level talent and they did make regular appearances in the NCAA. In short, a solid program.

We all know Lange's record his first two years. He SUCKED. One of my SJU friends urged patience, "These aren't Billy's guys...give him time" but the other had seen enough - especially after they lost to Temple by 47 last year (I believe the worst L in program history), and was ready to move on. To this day, even after the beatdown they delivered against Richmond, he still insists he'd fire Lange if he could.

While they had very different opinions about Lange they both agreed that Jordan Hall was a jewel who could deliver them from the darkness and to the Promised Land.

During the offseason many of you no doubt remember when Hall - SJU's precious, franchise-building point guard - suddenly tweeted out that he was done with St. Joe and Philly and was transferring to Texas Tech (or was it Texas A&M?).

Naturally, my friends were CRUSHED and apoplectic. Now, without Hall, the cupboards were truly bare and the situation hopeless.

At this very moment I had an epiphany. I went onto Cameo and lo and behold, Martelli's on the platform (at a very affordable $25)! I didn't tell him my friends were St. Joe alumni. Just let him know they had recently received some devastating news (i.e., the sudden Hall departure) they were struggling to reconcile and come to terms with, and could use a pep talk.

Having that Martelli Cameo done was just pure comedic genius!

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

A plus plus plus

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Post of the year potential and it's only January.