Game 12: GMU (9-2) at Tulane (8-2) on Friday, December 22, at 2:00 PM.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Also lets talk about Amari Kelly for a second.

First game back, his first half wasn't the best. I don't think he scored if at all, maybe a few points.

Second half he balled out, hit a key three, hit the majority of his layups and free throws. Played solid defense as always.

I don't know how many points he had exactly in the second half but it was the most of his 16 points. His line was 16 points 10 boards 3 assists and 3 blocks. Thats tough.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Also lets talk about Amari Kelly for a second.

First game back, his first half wasn't the best. I don't think he scored if at all, maybe a few points.

Second half he balled out, hit a key three, hit the majority of his layups and free throws. Played solid defense as always.

I don't know how many points he had exactly in the second half but it was the most of his 16 points. His line was 16 points 10 boards 3 assists and 3 blocks. Thats tough.
Dog! I told y’all he will win us close games!

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I agree that I love Woody on the top of the zone.

I absolutely love Woody when he races down the floor and blocks a shot in transition. That’s a horse right there.

He’s been a fabulous addition to the team.
That play tell me all I need to know about that kid. Polite had conceded the hoop (which was the smart play for him) and Woody comes flying in for the hustle block. I just can’t get over the effort Tony gets from these guys on D. It’s freakin awesome.

NewPatriot

Starter
That play tell me all I need to know about that kid. Polite had conceded the hoop (which was the smart play for him) and Woody comes flying in for the hustle block. I just can’t get over the effort Tony gets from these guys on D. It’s freakin awesome.
Welcome to the adrenaline rush experienced by rooting for a team successfully attempting to play pressure D!

Slay dogs of war!!

"It's Patriot Pressure You fear!!"

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Nice write-up by the Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate. Wouldn't be nice if the Washington Post covered the Patriots this well?

Would help if the Washington Post didn’t gut their sports department. At least they haven’t completely eliminated it yet (ahem NYT).

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Would help if the Washington Post didn’t gut their sports department. At least they haven’t completely eliminated it yet (ahem NYT).

I guess when the NYT paid $550M in cash for "The Athletic" it sealed the fate of the Times' sports department.

Remember how competitive the local TV channels here were in covering sports in their news broadcasts - Glenn Brenner, George Michael, Warner Wolf, etc.?

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Watched the game and went through similar emotions everyone here did. Not saying any of the criticisms were not valid. But..... let's remember one thing - this is a team that was cobbled together over the off-season. We are still gelling as a team and yet......... we are 10-2. 10-2 before we go into A-10 play.

Under this scenario this is in no way bad and I might add bodes well for continued improvement and A-10 play. I see us as one of the stronger A10 teams.

Merry Christmas and Go Mason Bitches.

hoops10

Sixth Man
he reminds me of Mike Morrison, only better on offense

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Watched the game and went through similar emotions everyone here did. Not saying any of the criticisms were not valid. But..... let's remember one thing - this is a team that was cobbled together over the off-season. We are still gelling as a team and yet......... we are 10-2. 10-2 before we go into A-10 play.

Under this scenario this is in no way bad and I might add bodes well for continued improvement and A-10 play. I see us as one of the stronger A10 teams.

Merry Christmas and Go Mason Bitches.
I agree. I had some uncertainty about Tony having too steep a learning curve being a head coach to be this successful. I felt that his recruiting skills had been well documented but getting the talent and then getting them into a pretty cohesive team would be two different things.

I'm not analytically skilled enough to comment on whatever tactics he orchestrated in the Tulane game, but clearly the relatively low-scoring game speaks volumes about getting the opponent out of their style of game. So it's another test that Tony has passed!

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I like seeing the Skinn staff make half time adjustments!

"My halftime speech was simple," head coach Tony Skinn ('06) said. "Sometimes, you just have to figure things out on your own. I told our guys whoever wants to play hard is who's going to play. They took that to heart. We came out in the second half, got stops and that gave us our confidence back. We were able to start chipping away at the lead and made winning plays. Resilience is the word."

Doesn't sound like much of a tactical strategy adjustment! Maybe credit to recruiting Div 1 veterans who have enough experience in figuring things out on their own!

Last edited:

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
"My halftime speech was simple," head coach Tony Skinn ('06) said. "Sometimes, you just have to figure things out on your own. I told our guys whoever wants to play hard is who's going to play. They took that to heart. We came out in the second half, got stops and that gave us our confidence back. We were able to start chipping away at the lead and made winning plays. Resilience is the word."

Doesn't sound like much of a tactical strategy adjustment! Maybe credit to recruiting Div 1 veterans who have enough experience in figuring things out on their own!

Whatever it was, it worked. Half the battle for coaches is knowing their team and what they respond to, so kudos to Tony for understanding how he needed to approach it to get the results he wanted.