Game 12: GMU (9-2) at Tulane (8-2) on Friday, December 22, at 2:00 PM.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Whatever it was, it worked. Half the battle for coaches is knowing their team and what they respond to, so kudos to Tony for understanding how he needed to approach it to get the results he wanted.
A win like yesterday's is a HUGE confidence builder in more than one way.

• Play hard and win.
• Play as a team and win
• Trust your coach and win.

Loving this team!

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I guess when the NYT paid $550M in cash for "The Athletic" it sealed the fate of the Times' sports department.

Remember how competitive the local TV channels here were in covering sports in their news broadcasts - Glenn Brenner, George Michael, Warner Wolf, etc.?
"Let's go to the tape" WW

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Whatever it was, it worked. Half the battle for coaches is knowing their team and what they respond to, so kudos to Tony for understanding how he needed to approach it to get the results he wanted.

Remember when Coach L started the Green Team in a victory vs. JMU during the 1998-99 CAA championship season to motivate the starters, and how he kept Mason's Final Four team loose during the NCAA tourney? I'm guessing that Tony acquired some of Coach L's motivational skills.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree. I had some uncertainty about Tony having too steep a learning curve being a head coach to be this successful. I felt that his recruiting skills had been well documented but getting the talent and then getting them into a pretty cohesive team would be two different things.

I'm not analytically skilled enough to comment on whatever tactics he orchestrated in the Tulane game, but clearly the relatively low-scoring game speaks volumes about getting the opponent out of their style of game. So it's another test that Tony has passed!
Just coming back to this point. I too thought Tony would have a learning curve as expected but that curve has been incredibly shortened. I give credit to the staff hes brought on board to help him, as well as his hard work that he has put in. As we have also talked about, what he brought in to the program in terms of puzzle pieces has been phenomenal, and their cohesion has been obvious.

It has certainly paid off, because he's adjusted really well to being a head coach so far and hes just getting started.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just coming back to this point. I too thought Tony would have a learning curve as expected but that curve has been incredibly shortened. I give credit to the staff hes brought on board to help him, as well as his hard work that he has put in. As we have also talked about, what he brought in to the program in terms of puzzle pieces has been phenomenal, and their cohesion has been obvious.

It has certainly paid off, because he's adjusted really well to being a head coach so far and hes just getting started.

Getting Curran to leave Bonaventure was huge.

But I told everyone three ago he’d be a great coach.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Getting Curran to leave Bonaventure was huge.

But I told everyone three ago he’d be a great coach.
I agree about the Curran point. I can’t talk about that enough.

I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Universe sorta put it together. And as I say, it was always the plan.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I agree that I love Woody on the top of the zone.

I absolutely love Woody when he races down the floor and blocks a shot in transition. That’s a horse right there.

He’s been a fabulous addition to the team.

"I absolutely love Woody when he races down the floor and blocks a shot in transition."

Very reminiscent of how AJ Wilson would fly down the lane and pancake guys. Except, in Newton's case he also brings rebounding and an offensive skill set.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

When was the last time Mason was 10-2 at this point in the season?

NewPatriot

Starter
This roster is made up of cast-offs from other teams looking for another opportunity to flourish in a winning situation.

Its not easy to shed habits from losing cultures and take on winning habits.

Kudos to the players for taking ownership of their deficit to Tulane, focusing on the game plan and making this win happen.

Its speaks to this team's maturity, focus, will and determination to create a winning situation for themselves, the coaching staff, the AD, the university and its proud fans.

Let's keep rooting for these guys to keep it moving each and every game!!