Game 11: AT University of Pennsylvania, Saturday, December 10th, 2 PM, NO TV

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My plutonic man-crush on Marquis has hit an all-time high after today's triple-double. You honestly can't say enough about the numbers he is putting up this year, and the most amazing thing is he's not padding those stats at all.

He fights for every rebound, he rarely forces shots, and he's always looking to set up his teammates to score. And despite playing a ridiculous amount of minutes every game, you never see him take a play off.

Ummm and how does GMUBrian feel about this "crush"?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
http://boards.basketball-u.com/showtopic.php?tid/19610/tp/2/:

penn.gif

Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-0612-10-16 03:53 PM - Post#215401
In response to Mike Porter

Today taught us what a team with reasonable talent and great coaching means. George Mason played outstanding defense, shot the ball well and pounded the boards. Only two Penn players showed the ability to play at that level, Brodeur and Howard. No surprize.

Sure, if one reversed the 3 percentages it would have been close, but GM really played well. I guess it will be another year or two before we see Penn execute like that.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Ummm and how does GMUBrian feel about this "crush"?

First of all, the GMUBrian crush was not plutonic; second, I haven't seen him since Angry took his floor seats a few seasons ago. :cool:

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
First of all, the GMUBrian crush was not plutonic; second, I haven't seen him him since Angry took his floor seats a few seasons ago. :cool:
I broke up with both Tom and Angry over the whole Hewitt ultimatum.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What a great win. Love how we're closing out games with authority.

- 17 points, 16 rebounds, 10 assists, and 2 blocks is a monster stat line. According to College Basketball Reference's game finder, no guard has posted a stat line like that since at least the 2010 season. Marquise may sniff some NBA D-league invites despite the fact that he's 6'2" and doesn't have a jump shot.

- Jalen and Marquise combined to go 16/22 from the floor. We're going to win most games when they do that.

- Jalen was abusing Brodeur 1 on 1 in the first half so Penn started throwing a double-team at him in the second. Jalen made some excellent passes out of the double-team and was credited with four assists. He's really developed an excellent mental command of his position under Paulsen.

- We held our opponent to a bad three point shooting night yet again. Penn shot 7/28 tonight. I don't think the improved perimeter defense is a mirage anymore. One thing I've noticed that I think is new is that we've got a "back of the line" system now on the perimeter. When a guard crashes to harass the post, everyone on the perimeter slides over to cover the man the harasser left. Then when the ball leaves the post the guard who harassed swings all the way over to the weak side shooter on the other side of the floor. I hadn't noticed that before today but it's doing wonders at keeping Otis's man from being wide open all the time.

- We don't shoot many 3's, but we've become very good at picking our spots. 7/16 tonight - enough to keep the opponent honest, but not so many that we get away from our bread and butter, attacking the paint.

- Ian Boyd has never missed an elbow jumper in his life, I'm sure of it.

- We outscored those nerds 39-16 to close out the game.

Some nits to pick:

- Otis makes some bad decisions in fast break situations. He's taken the ball 1-on-2 or worse instead of making a pass. Would like to see him improve his decision-making here.

- Karmari hit three big threes, but he also had two consecutive bad possessions in the middle of the second half that led to turnovers and threatened to stop the run.

- Jaire had another bad game. 3 points on 6 shots with only four rebounds to supplement his stat line. I'm at the point where I didn't mind him sitting with four fouls - I think we're better served with Boyd and Newman getting those minutes anyway. If Jaire is going to be our starting shooting guard he needs to get more efficient as as scorer.

Onward and upward. Looking forward to number eight on Monday!

patriotchild

Starter
What a great win. Love how we're closing out games with authority.

- 17 points, 16 rebounds, 10 assists, and 2 blocks is a monster stat line. According to College Basketball Reference's game finder, no guard has posted a stat line like that since at least the 2010 season. Marquise may sniff some NBA D-league invites despite the fact that he's 6'2" and doesn't have a jump shot.

- Jalen and Marquise combined to go 16/22 from the floor. We're going to win most games when they do that.

- Jalen was abusing Brodeur 1 on 1 in the first half so Penn started throwing a double-team at him in the second. Jalen made some excellent passes out of the double-team and was credited with four assists. He's really developed an excellent mental command of his position under Paulsen.

- We held our opponent to a bad three point shooting night yet again. Penn shot 7/28 tonight. I don't think the improved perimeter defense is a mirage anymore. One thing I've noticed that I think is new is that we've got a "back of the line" system now on the perimeter. When a guard crashes to harass the post, everyone on the perimeter slides over to cover the man the harasser left. Then when the ball leaves the post the guard who harassed swings all the way over to the weak side shooter on the other side of the floor. I hadn't noticed that before today but it's doing wonders at keeping Otis's man from being wide open all the time.

- We don't shoot many 3's, but we've become very good at picking our spots. 7/16 tonight - enough to keep the opponent honest, but not so many that we get away from our bread and butter, attacking the paint.

- Ian Boyd has never missed an elbow jumper in his life, I'm sure of it.

- We outscored those nerds 39-16 to close out the game.

Some nits to pick:

- Otis makes some bad decisions in fast break situations. He's taken the ball 1-on-2 or worse instead of making a pass. Would like to see him improve his decision-making here.

- Karmari hit three big threes, but he also had two consecutive bad possessions in the middle of the second half that led to turnovers and threatened to stop the run.

- Jaire had another bad game. 3 points on 6 shots with only four rebounds to supplement his stat line. I'm at the point where I didn't mind him sitting with four fouls - I think we're better served with Boyd and Newman getting those minutes anyway. If Jaire is going to be our starting shooting guard he needs to get more efficient as as scorer.

Onward and upward. Looking forward to number eight on Monday!
I also noticed the rotations on defense and was very impressed with the result. We also are not getting as hung up on screens and losing people like last year.

Defense will be the key to how well we do in conference play and if these rotations work I think we'll win a few more games than we thought.

Also Huston beat URI and looks good. So it's possible we'll come out of OOC with only one really bad loss and a so so loss if Towson doesn't implode.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I also noticed the rotations on defense and was very impressed with the result. We also are not getting as hung up on screens and losing people like last year.

Defense will be the key to how well we do in conference play and if these rotations work I think we'll win a few more games than we thought.

Also Huston beat URI and looks good. So it's possible we'll come out of OOC with only one really bad loss and a so so loss if Towson doesn't implode.

I'd be surprised if Houston wasn't in the tournament...I thought they'd be a tourney team before the season even started.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
One thing I've noticed that I think is new is that we've got a "back of the line" system now on the perimeter. When a guard crashes to harass the post, everyone on the perimeter slides over to cover the man the harasser left. Then when the ball leaves the post the guard who harassed swings all the way over to the weak side shooter on the other side of the floor. I hadn't noticed that before today but it's doing wonders at keeping Otis's man from being wide open all the time.
I noticed this, too. I think we've been trying to do this at times for 3 or 4 games (if not longer) but today was the first time it was well executed on a consistent basis. Against Mercer and Penn State, bad rotations sometimes led to 2 guys guarding the same man, and a wide open shooter. Today, it looked a lot smoother.