Game 10: GMU (7-2) vs Loyola Md. (1-9) on Saturday, December 16, at 6:00 PM.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It’s kind of an ignorant argument anyway.

I’m not sure how many NOVA kids we’ve gotten, it’s not many, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

Jon Larranaga (Oakton)
Rob Anderson (Arlington)
Chris Flemming (Manassas)
Cam Long (Woodbridge)
Patrick Holloway (Fairfax)
Jordan Miller (Loudoun)
Josh Oduro (Fairfax)
Peter Oduro (Fairfax)

Not sure how many of these players you would deem “soft”

Not sure how many players from NOVA we offered who went somewhere else, but as an example I can think of Scottie Reynolds who we offered coming off the Final Four and we all thought we had a legit shot at. He went to Villanova. Not sure if you’d call him soft.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Grayson Allen was suspended by Coach K for tripping a player so not sure what you are talking about here.
Did he suspend him? Okay. I stand corrected. I couldn't remember his name.
But he didn't suspend Christian Laettner.

masonhoops1984

Role Player

I’m not sure how many NOVA kids we’ve gotten, it’s not many, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

Jon Larranaga (Oakton)
Rob Anderson (Arlington)
Cam Long (Woodbridge)
Jordan Miller (Loudoun)
Josh Oduro (Fairfax)
Peter Oduro (Fairfax)

Not sure how many players from NOVA we offered who went somewhere else, but as an example I can think of Scottie Reynolds who we offered coming off the Final Four and we all thought we had a legit shot at. He went to Villanova. Not sure if you’d call him soft.
Reynolds was 100% labeled soft, was he? Maybe a little, beating up on public school kids in high school. Herndon wasn’t exactly great falls, ashburn etc either though. There’s a major difference of what a kid ‘can do’ and where he’s at coming out of high school. Scottie played a large part in the resurrection of putting Villanova back on the map.

It’s more no one did any research into his background and how hard he worked. He was grouped in with Nova kids.

I think there’s a mistake here in what people view as ‘soft’ you can be a heck of a player and not be tough coming out of high school. No one is denying Miller was talented but he never saw the type of competition he was going to at the D1 level in high school. He beat up on some pretty amateur competition. He also never remotely came close to being player he could until he got to Miami.

Also on the flip side just because you are tough doesn’t mean you are talented. It takes kids longer to adjust to college game coming out of public school in nova. It took miller 3/4 years to become the player he is today. Josh was 100% a work in progress, are we going to say he was great under Paulsen? I’m not really calling him soft but none of these guys from nova are coming in day 1 built the same as other parts of the country.

As far as someone like Patrick Holloway that’s a horrible argument for tough! dude was a mental bum, horrible attitude and 100% the definition of a kid who threw his career away by not being tough enough. He folded quickly.
Not one guy on that list screams tough out of high school. Some talent sure but wouldn’t use the word tough. Either way if people want to get their feelings hurt over it fine, but we all know college coaches at any level arent calling nova kids tough! They are calling them great Students with great grades that won’t be trouble makers.

College is a time for growth and good coaches find those players and make them better. If someone is a finished project in high school than well not much to do coaching wise anyway, They will be 1 and dones and that’s that. As far as Kelly it’s a teaching moment for Tony to harness whatever that is into something positive. Redirect his emotions and use that as fuel to get better and not act out in a violent way.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
you can be productive and soft at the same time. Cam Newton in the Super Bowl is a perfect example. Most talented guy on the field, but was too soft to jump on the fumble which cost his team the game.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jon Larranaga (Oakton)
Rob Anderson (Arlington)
Cam Long (Woodbridge)
Jordan Miller (Loudoun)
Josh Oduro (Fairfax)
Peter Oduro (Fairfax)

Jon Larranaga certainly wasn't "soft", but he didn't play in NOVA. Carlos Yates and Ahmad Dorsett are from NOVA, and I never heard anyone call them "soft".

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
1702919294956.gif

Obviously we'll hear someone yelling this at the next Mason homegame..

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Man I didn't get to watch the game so I came into the tail end of this threat looking for some takeaways I could think about. Nope. This was awful. Everyone go back to your jobs. Matt close the thread.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Man I didn't get to watch the game so I came into the tail end of this threat looking for some takeaways I could think about. Nope. This was awful. Everyone go back to your jobs. Matt close the thread.

To sum it up:

1. We won but not by enough of a margin to satisfy some fans who feel entitled to a blow out because of our stellar performance the past decade.

2. Amari Kelly was unfairly ejected for simply doing a yoga stretch when a Loyola player suddenly put his head in the way, tricking the referee into thinking it was malicious.

3. Someone had a brilliant insight and declared an area of a population of 3 million people to be soft because players in NOVA don’t kick opponents in the head.

4. Head kicking will now be a category when assessing high school talent.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I see this motion - does someone want to second the motion? If so then I'll close it. Otherwise I'll leave it open since it was just a strange conversation but nothing crossing a line.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
To sum it up:

1. We won but not by enough of a margin to satisfy some fans who feel entitled to a blow out because of our stellar performance the past decade.

2. Amari Kelly was unfairly ejected for simply doing a yoga stretch when a Loyola player suddenly put his head in the way, tricking the referee into thinking it was malicious.

3. Someone had a brilliant insight and declared an area of a population of 3 million people to be soft because players in NOVA don’t kick opponents in the head.

This is excellent. Gonna watch Bloodsport and do some scouting.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
To sum it up:

Jon Larranaga certainly wasn't "soft", but he didn't play in NOVA. Carlos Yates and Ahmad Dorsett are from NOVA, and I never heard anyone call them "soft".
Yeah I’m sure Reston hasn’t changed in 43 years. Ok…. I would venture to say none of these kids are anywhere like Yates. Different generation entirely. This has started quite the turn here. If you all are naive enough to think kids out of Baltimore, Philly, NY are facing same backgrounds as nova kids keep living in the bubble! Same can be said for DC and Maryland they are not remotely like nova kids but sure whatever it doesn’t really matter. There also seems to be some mistake here as to talent and ‘tough’ and grinding every day vs top talent in the country. Mason doesn’t recruit Nova anyway for the most part. Wish they would recruit nova for soccer more, their program would be a lot better! And most have said kicking someone in the head is the opposite of being tough so way to not only not sum it up but to completely flip it entirely. Amazing that people are just now finding out the Nova isn’t the high sports Mecca they thought it was!

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I can think of Scottie Reynolds who we offered coming off the Final Four and we all thought we had a legit shot at. He went to Villanova. Not sure if you’d call him soft.

I had friends who worked in the admissions office at the time. Apparently after Scottie was released from his committment from Oklahoma, soon after the Final Four, Scottie's Dad called the admissions office and asked to get in contact with Coach L. There was definitly interest. But I beleive at the time we didn't have any open scholarships. We had 3 that year and were taken by Birdsong, Monroe and Dre who all already committed by then. Had we got Scottie...man what could have been. He was beast in college.

Last edited:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Did we all forget Skinn punched a Hofstra player in the groin. Dirty plays don’t make you tough, that’s obvious.

My overall point is this squad seems to have a chip on their shoulder, which I think will help us in close games.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
I had friends who worked in the admissions office at the time. Apparently after Scottie was released from his committment from Oklahoma, soon after after the Final Four, Scottie's Dad called the admissions office and asked to get in contact with Coach L. There was definitly interest. But I beleive at the time we didn't have any open scholarships. We had 3 that year and were taken by Birdsong, Monroe and Dre who all already committed by then. Had we got Scottie...man what could have been. He was beast in college.

Did we all forget Skinn punched a Hofstra player in the groin. Dirty plays don’t make you tough, that’s obvious.

My overall point is this squad seems to have a chip on their shoulder, which I think will help us in close games.
Skinn will need to harness that. That's where he can identify with his players and tell them how to better manage their emotions. Use it on the court and get the most out of his players!

NewPatriot

Starter
Look, we can all have our own opinions on what a "dawg" is or means.

My

I'm not saying we should go around punching everyone and kicking players in the head, but its also nice that we don't have guys looking to give out hugs and sing koombaya together like we've seen in the past either. Our guys get after it and numerous times this year we've seen 50/50 balls or possession saving plays that are just winning basketball. To me that's also tough.
It goes hand in hand with player fit to the system.."patriot pressure', "havoc", "40 minutes of hell".