Game 10: GMU (7-2) vs Loyola Md. (1-9) on Saturday, December 16, at 6:00 PM.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Because for someone to throw him a 18+ contract that would take a sweet 16 trip. Mason would fire back with a 10 year deal at the 1.3-1.5 to get it to 13/15 mil. He’s not leaving for anywhere outside a top 10 program and that’s going to take at least 5-7 years of winning the A10 at least semi annually if not every single year. If he wins 7 A10 titles good for him, he deserves a blue blood job then! Until that happens not remotely worried and I don’t think they are that close to doing that yet.
I wouldn’t be so sure. Both English and Neptune went P5 at 18+ mil without even dancing. The landscape is changing on coaches career progression, and if we finish top 4 this season like we think we should I wouldn’t be surprised if the rumor mill gets started up this offseason if Tony’s agent is doing his job.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
I wouldn’t be so sure. Both English and Neptune went P5 at 18+ mil without even dancing. The landscape is changing on coaches career progression, and if we finish top 4 this season like we think we should I wouldn’t be surprised if the rumor mill gets started up this offseason if Tony’s agent is doing his job.
The difference is they didn’t play at that school. If Tony is ready to jump for just any school he doesn’t take the Mason job in the first place. Maryland was willing to almost match his salary at Mason. I don’t see him leaving for some random rich school. Pac12 is dead and given the way college sports is going don’t be so sure people are going to be quick to take acc jobs with insane uncertainty surrounding the future of those schools. Big 10 can’t win in the tournament and have unrealistic expectations. The sec only cares about football. Good luck as most of those are unrealistic and bad jobs. The big 12 is loaded and expectations would be sky high. Not sure any big east jobs are coming open soon that are that ideal. There’s only going to be maybe 1/2 schools that A. Have money, B. Have an opening and C. Have any certain future. Neptune is already weekly mentioned on hot seat. Expectations change, not sure why he would want to do that. He can build whatever he wants at mason that he can do at any school outside the top 10/15 jobs and for one of those again will take more than one random top 4 season.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
As far as the game goes, another tuneup game. Glad mason pulled away but definitely was choppy. Loyola was terrible and I’m not sure they’ll even be any good in their own league.

I remembered the name Tyson Commander and turns out Paulsen offered him. He and the other guard were okay but other players were brutal. Their one big missed like 4 layups.

Onto the next tune up game. Hopefully can get a good rhythm and a blowout against d3 competition.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think that puts the roster at 10, then Begg and Cokley.

Kelly and Wood are out of eligibility after this season and Pavrette left the team.
Actually I was counting Begg and Cokley in the 11, assuming Dinkins is gone as well

Newton
Henry
Polite
Maddox
Billups
Haynes
Hall
Okojie
Ball
Begg
Cokley

That would leave 2 spots to fill

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
If we play like we did last night we aren’t even coming close to sniffing top 4.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This might be unpopular, but I'll say it: Kelly's actions were dirty and uncalled for. However, it does reveal he’s got a little dog in him; that competitive edge will benefit us this season.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
There are ways to be tough on the court without stomping on opposing team’s player’s heads.
Agreed, it’s stupid and selfish. Hell going off and punching someone isn’t as serious. Stepping on someone’s head is pretty dirty and beyond wreckless. Fully expect at least a 1 game suspension if not more.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
This might be unpopular, but I'll say it: Kelly's actions were dirty and uncalled for. However, it does reveal he’s got a little dog in him; that competitive edge will benefit us this season.
It was a bad moment for Amari. That #10 was roughing him up down low as I witnessed. Not dirty, but bullying Amari. Then when they got tied up he fell a little towards Amari's knee. I think that was the tipping point for him and he hated the no call. Just a bad decision i hope he learns from.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
There are ways to be tough on the court without stomping on opposing team’s player’s heads.
Don’t get me wrong, his actions are beyond dirty. And he deserves whatever punishment he gets. Unfortunate timing with Malik dealing with family matters.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Not to discredit Josh Oduro, but he's a perfect example of my recent thoughts. Mason's teams have lacked that "dawg mentality" in the past few years.

While schools like Paul VI undoubtedly refine players' skills and athleticism, the hyper-structured environment may inadvertently stifle the development of that dawg mentality. Sometimes, the relentless hunger for success is found in less glamorous settings like public high schools.

While Kelly's actions were dirty, he possesses that dawg mentality. He's going to will us to win a couple of games this year.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
Not to discredit Josh Oduro, but he's a perfect example of my recent thoughts. Mason's teams have lacked that "dawg mentality" in the past few years.

While schools like Paul VI undoubtedly refine players' skills and athleticism, the hyper-structured environment may inadvertently stifle the development of that dawg mentality. Sometimes, the relentless hunger for success is found in less glamorous settings like public high schools.

While Kelly's actions were dirty, he possesses that dawg mentality. He's going to will us to win a couple of games this year.
Just call it what it is. Nova kids are soft as h*ll everyone knows that. It’s not some big secret. You can count on 2 hands the amount of impactful players to come out of Nova and most were South lakes in 80’s and early 90’s. Why do you think Reynolds didn’t end up at a blue blood? They called him too soft. Villanova wasn’t powerhouse then. Miller was labeled soft, he become a different player at Miami. They aren’t ready. Something Paulsen never understood, Tony however gets it. He’s not one of those guys. However kicking a kid in the head, doesn’t equal tough to me sorry. Just screams kid needs to learn to control his emotions.

Last edited:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Just call it what it is. Nova kids are soft as h*ll everyone knows that. It’s not some big secret. You can count on 2 hands the amount of impactful players to come out of Nova and most were South lakes in 80’s and early 90’s. Why do you think Reynolds didn’t end up at a blue blood? They called him too soft. Villanova wasn’t powerhouse then. Miller was labeled soft, he become a different player at Miami. They aren’t ready. Something Paulsen never understood, Tony however gets it. He’s not one of those guys. However kicking a kid in the head, doesn’t equal tough to me sorry. Just screams kid needs to learn to control his emotions.
Well said. I hate to admit it, but NOVA kids are soft as a whole. Very skilled but soft. I also want to say I’ve been liking Kelly’s attitude way before the kick. The kick is just stupid; hopefully, he learns from this.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think Paul VIs recent history would suggest otherwise.

Roach, McDaniel, Harris-Smith. Abraham fits the “dawg” mold this season.

DRK331

Starter
I agree with those PVI players that those guys had that "dawg" mentality

Also, another recent WCAC player that comes to mind with that dawg mentality is Dematha's Justin Moore (currently at Villanova)

NewPatriot

Starter
That's patently not true. Oduro pretty much carried Mason for 3 years withh internittent help from supporting cast. Remember the game where he dropped 33 on St. Louis and Mason lost because no one else could buy a bucked. How about the game where he went for 14 point 10 rebounds and 4 blocks, held Holmes in check and Mason beat Dayton(2022?)...His supporting cast was inconsistent at best.

How can a guy be soft when he's scored 1500 career points, grabbed closed to 800 rebounds?

How can he be soft when he's putting close to 15 points and 7 rebounds in the big east this season?...62.6% fg%, 41.7% from 3, 82.6% ft%...

It was not Oduro's fault that vcu gave Mason a wedgie everytimw they came to Eagle bank. He busted his a** on the court getting double and triple teamed..the problem was no one else ever showed up..

Last edited:

Dawgs99

Starter

Stomping on someone's head while they're on the ground doesn't make you a dog, its makes you a b*tch. A dog takes the ball to the rim like a man and dunks on that dude....that's what a dog does. Amari was having a tough game with several missed shots and free throws and was obviously frustrated and lost his cool. Lets not celebrate this or think that this some how makes him tough....in fact its the opposite of toughness.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Look, we can all have our own opinions on what a "dawg" is or means.

My .02

Josh had a certain way about him on the court. He never played particularly mean but he did have ability. He worked hard to get to where he is. To call the kid soft is absurd and goes back to when we used to directly have someone who would insult him. We should be better than that. Plenty of Paul VI kids play highmajor and are "tough". As someone who loves recruiting, watching a kid go from under recruited to a stud makes it fun.

I agree with @Dawgs99 that Amari lost his cool and was obviously very frustrated with how the game was going. Lets hope that this is the only time this year that anything like that happens on the court for a Mason player.

That said, I will say, that our guys play with an edge and it has been a while since we've had a Mason player do something that stupid on the court. But kicking someone in the head doesn't make them tough, going out and scoring 15 points and forgetting half 1 would have been that much better.

I'm not saying we should go around punching everyone and kicking players in the head, but its also nice that we don't have guys looking to give out hugs and sing koombaya together like we've seen in the past either. Our guys get after it and numerous times this year we've seen 50/50 balls or possession saving plays that are just winning basketball. To me that's also tough.

Masonfan3

Starter
At least if anybody should know how to handle this, it would be Tony.
Unlike the former Duke coach who let his players step on people and trip them (habitually) and didn't do anything about it.
Grayson Allen was suspended by Coach K for tripping a player so not sure what you are talking about here.