Game 10: GMU (5-4) vs UMES (3-5) on Tuesday, December 6, at 7:00 PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Ken Pom: GMU has an 89% chance of winning this game. Predicted score 72-58.
GMU - 129
UMES - 316

GMU Is 2-0 against the Hawks all-time.

UMES was picked to finish 6th in the MEAC. Da’Shawn Phillip was chosen to the All-MEAC second team. Nathaniel Pollard was chosen to the third team.

UMES is currently 3-5 on the season. They are 3-0 at home, 0-5 on the road, and 0-0 at neutral sites.

Wins: Bryn Athyn (90-43), Marist (70-59), Lehigh (64-60)
Losses: ODU (84-65), Charlotte (80-47), GW (69-64), UVA (72-45), Liberty (79-59)

Schedule: https://easternshorehawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule?path=mbball
Roster: https://easternshorehawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster?path=mbball
Stats: https://easternshorehawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022/pdf

Statistically UMES is led by 6’3” Kevon Voyles (11.0 ppg & 4.3 reb), 6’3” Zion Styles (11.6 ppg & 3.4 reb), 6’5” Da’Shawn Phillip (11.0 ppg), 6’5” Nathaniel Pollard (8.5 ppg & 7.4 reb), 6’3” Chace Davis (7.1 ppg), 6’1” Fofana Ahamadou (7.8 ppg), and 6’7” Kohen Thompson (3.0 ppg).

UMES averages 63.0 points per game while giving up 68.3. That stat is deceiving given their blowout win against D3 Bryn Athyn. Factor the D3 blowout out of the equation and the they average 59.1 while giving up 71.8. Another interesting note is that Bryn Athyn listed the game against UMES as an “exhibition” while for UMES it was “Homecoming.”

The Hawks are shooting 40.0% from the floor and 32.7% from 3. Opponents are shooting 44.0% from the field and 31.8% from 3. They shoot 70.2% from the free throw line. The Hawks are being out rebounding by their opponents by 2.5 boards per game and average 13.9 turnovers per game.

The game is on ESPN+.

My prediction: They have no one who should be able to hurt us. Why is a game like this even on the schedule? Win and it’s a meaningless win. A loss to a team like this would be an epic failure to a team with NCAA aspirations. Nothing to gain and everything to lose. That being said this game should be a blowout. Anything less than a double digit win will be a disappointment. Mason 75 - UMES 53.

Discuss.

Attachments

• odurovsUMES.jpg
    odurovsUMES.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 6,359
Last edited:

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
MEAC is a 7 team conference that is easily available to schedule and an easy win. I am unsure if this is a buy game or not. A 14 Game MEAC conference schedule leaves them 17 iut of conference games to fill.

Personally I would like GMU to schedule a yearly home and home with Howard - for reasons tangentially related to basketball but ultimately in support of both basketball programs. But leave the rest of the MEAC alone as I agree that scheduling 300 Ken Pom ranked teams is bad - even when you win.

Would also prefer games like this be scheduled over winter break to lesson the effects of low attendance on ticket sales.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I may be wrong but ..... This was a late scheduled game. We already have Coppin State on Dec 23. This may have been the best we could get late in the scheduling cycle.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I may be wrong but ..... This was a late scheduled game. We already have Coppin State on Dec 23. This may have been the best we could get late in the scheduling cycle.
There is 0 chance of us returning a game against UMES.

There is 0 chance we are doing a home and home with Howard.

We have serious problems as a program if we are doing either of these type of games.

The MEAC keeps the lights on by getting buy games every year.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We should win this comfortably and see extended minutes from the freshman. For those of you that are betting types, I damn near paid my mortgage during basketball season last year taking UMES to beat the spread. They are super bad, but will catch you on the points every single time.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The MEAC keeps the lights on by getting buy games every year.
Not just the MEAC. For some reason, I ended up on Jackson State's basketball schedule. They start the season with 14 straight road games. The 14th road game on 1/2/23 is the SWAC opener at Alcorn St before playing Alabama St at home on 1/7.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
MEAC is a 7 team conference that is easily available to schedule and an easy win. I am unsure if this is a buy game or not. A 14 Game MEAC conference schedule leaves them 17 iut of conference games to fill.

Personally I would like GMU to schedule a yearly home and home with Howard - for reasons tangentially related to basketball but ultimately in support of both basketball programs. But leave the rest of the MEAC alone as I agree that scheduling 300 Ken Pom ranked teams is bad - even when you win.

Would also prefer games like this be scheduled over winter break to lesson the effects of low attendance on ticket sales.
I get it, and I'd be happy opening up the year against a patsy like this but not at this point in the OOC schedule. Nothing they do is going to test us. I'd rather play a tougher team the guys can get up for, with an eye toward building on our recent momentum.

Playing UMES feels like we're taking two steps back, but if we win by 25 and JF busts out for 15 with a couple of throw-downs, I'll be back here praising the effort.

(As an aside, UMES almost took down Saint Joe's last year. Took a last second 3 from Funk to win it. IIRC UMES was ranked #340 at the time. Well, just a few days ago Fairleigh Dickinson - ranked #347 - crushed Saint Joes by nearly 20. Even the Lange faithful are now calling for his head).

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I get it, and I'd be happy opening up the year against a patsy like this but not at this point in the OOC schedule. Nothing they do is going to test us. I'd rather play a tougher team the guys can get up for, with an eye toward building on our recent momentum.

Playing UMES feels like we're taking two steps back, but if we win by 25 and JF busts out for 15 with a couple of throw-downs, I'll be back here praising the effort.

(As an aside, UMES almost take down Saint Joe's last year. Took a last second 3 from Funk to win it. IIRC UMES was ranked #340 at the time. Well, just a few days ago Fairleigh Dickinson - ranked #347 - crushed Saint Joes by nearly 20. Even the Lange faithful are now calling for his head).
Yeah - FDU beating SJU that badly is a REALLY bad look for Lange and company. I already told a friend of mine that he needs to start writing in and expressing his displeasure. Its one thing to lose a buy game, its another to get blown out by a bottom 20 D1 team at home. Have to think he is toast after this year.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
This better be a 25 point win that involves blood stains and other bodily fluids on the floor.