Fire Dave Paulsen / Hire Tony Skinn

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Omg the program wasn’t in that bad of shape! They had one bad coach who was a hell of a recruiter. Mason was still relevant. The program is in way worse shape than when Paulsen took over.

Unless mason digs deep into their pockets it’s going to be impossible to get a promising coach.

Im going to respectfully disagree with you on the first piece.

That said I do agree that Mason is going to have to pony up a bit for someone to compete and get the program right, should this dumpster fire continue. And I don’t see it ending.

Mason32

Starter
Mason was still relevant. The program is in way worse shape than when Paulsen took over.

You said you only rate a coach by NCAA tournament appearances, so how is program in WAY WORSE shape now when they are winning more conferences games?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Omg the program wasn’t in that bad of shape! They had one bad coach who was a hell of a recruiter. Mason was still relevant. The program is in way worse shape than when Paulsen took over.

If I thought you genuinely believed this, I would chuckle at your stupidity. But you are just trolling as usual.

By George.

Starter
With kier and AJ presumably gone next year it’s not the same. Mooney was able to acquire a breakout transfer and have a class of 5 juniors all with A-10 level talent. You tell me how many games we win this year without AJ and Kier and that should answer your question. Our roster comprises of 5 point guards (two unknown to college ball) Javon Jordan miller and two big men not worth a damn currently. You then add a freak athlete that is a mere freshman and Daddy who is also virtually unknown (unless you are swimmom on Twitter). That team gonna be the one to take paulsen to 25 wins? Not to me no sir

Why are we assuming AJ is leaving?

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

• P5 coach has a moment to check out NCAA stats
  • He sees a kid named Wilson from George Mason is leading the nation in blocks
  • His curiosity is piqued and decides to watch some footage of him and falls in love with his skills
  • He finds out AJ is a senior with a year of eligibility left and puts out a word to his contacts
  • He makes a call and he pulls a Grayer on us
  • He transfers to said school and we play them next year and lose by 40.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

This is the question I asked. He would certainly seem to have a better chance to showcase himself for a pro career by starting and playing 35 mpg at Mason than by potentially coming off the bench for a P5 school.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
  • P5 coach has a moment to check out NCAA stats
  • He sees a kid named Wilson from George Mason is leading the nation in blocks
  • His curiosity is piqued and decides to watch some footage of him and falls in love with his skills
  • He finds out AJ is a senior with a year of eligibility left and puts out a word to his contacts
  • He makes a call and he pulls a Grayer on us
  • He transfers to said school and we play them next year and lose by 40.

Making a call would be a violation of NCAA rules. No one can contact Wilson until he puts himself into the transfer portal.

Now obviously people break the rules all the time, but there should be no one telling Wilson they’d bring him on until he says he’s leaving.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Im going to respectfully disagree with you on the first piece.

That said I do agree that Mason is going to have to pony up a bit for someone to compete and get the program right, should this dumpster fire continue. And I don’t see it ending.
I’m thinking big picture. Obviously paulsen has brought mason to a mediocre A10 team. IMO, the basketball community still respected mason basketball when paulsen took over. Paulsen had a big mess to fix, but there was still optimism around the program. I don’t get that same sense any more.

Mason is 10 years removed from an NCAA appearance. Who’s going to want to coach here now.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’m thinking big picture. Obviously paulsen has brought mason to a mediocre A10 team. IMO, the basketball community still respected mason basketball when paulsen took over. Paulsen had a big mess to fix, but there was still optimism around the program. I don’t get that same sense any more.

Mason is 10 years removed from an NCAA appearance. Who’s going to want to coach here now.

Someone with ambition? Dambrot chose Duquesne despite their ineptitude over the last 40 years (40 versus 10). An AD can easily sell Mason to an ambitious coach.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Fair points, but I think Mason is still a lucrative job. And now that theres new facilities, someone would happily try their luck here.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

We can argue about the recruiting, but literally everything else about our program is demonstrably better than it was when Hewitt was fired. I fail to see why many coaches would not be interested if it came time to make another change.

KAOriginal

All-American
Please. Mason is an attractive job for 95% of the coaches....looking for a gig....whether on the way up or down.

We have decent pay, good location, good conference.

Only the 5%....who think too much of themselves, or have really picky wants and needs would not find us as a pretty good landing spot.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
We would be attractive to most all assistants. And, believe me, that is the direction we would go.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Do we really need to argue numbers, wins, etc.?

Doesn't the old eye test tell all of us that Paulsen's offense sucks, and he puts our players in terrible positions to succeed? And that he should recognize that, but hasn't, and hasn't changed a damn thing?

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Please. Mason is an attractive job for 95% of the coaches....looking for a gig....whether on the way up or down.

We have decent pay, good location, good conference.

Only the 5%....who think too much of themselves, or have really picky wants and needs would not find us as a pretty good landing spot.
I hope you’re right