Fire Dave Paulsen / Hire Tony Skinn

patriotchild

Starter
Pretty sure Hewitt was better. This program is a giant disapointment. I am tired of people on here accepting losing. NCAA or bust. Everything else is a failure.

Wait what!? Hewitt is the pure reason why we have paulsen. If Hewitt was better there would be no paulsen...

OP
tblack33

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Everyone needs to slow down. We aren't firing Paulsen until a new President is named.

Train is leaving the station. Still don’t agree with a mid season firing but short of making the tournament this year I think he needs to go after the season ends.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Dave has 2 years left after this, has improved the recruiting pipeline and the recruits have improved year over year.

If they play in the PIG this year, next year is the show me year. Assuming brad sticks around, he will make the call after next year. If he doesn’t, it’ll be someone else. Caveat is a new president and Brad may be gone. Dave is also Brads guy, so I’d be hard pressed to believe Brad would axe his guy one way or another but I still think he has to make a call.

I don’t think brad also wants to jeopardize any of the recruit pipelines Dave has made either so he has to wait and see.

If dave wants to stay, he needs to get an extension before he gets new bosses because his rope is probably getting shorter even with his existing one. Although I also don’t even know if it’s true because they did well out of conference and now don’t have kier. I don’t really accept that but I’m not brad.

Simple as that. Clock is ticking. You can’t have many losses to inferior teams this far into your tenure, and have games where your team doesn’t show up.

Yossarian

Sixth Man
Until those ballers lead the program into scandals, penalties, and disgrace.
Yep. Losing sucks for everyone who is part of the program, but I have always been impressed with the caliber of young men on the team. Stick around and hear some of them speak during interviews after a home game, if you haven't done this. They are solid guys.

I do not want to sacrifice character for performance. Should the program work to improve recruiting? Certainly. But never at the expense of character.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
We are not going back to the CAA.

Stop with that stupid talk.

Sure mason could drop down to the Caa, SoCon, or big south and win every few years as a 15 or 14 seed but is that worth it if they get eliminated in the first round 9 times out of 10?

I’d rather mason be in a multiple bid conference than a one bid conference you have to win for the award of a 15 through 12 seed.

yeah Celtic wins the Scottish league every year, but they also get ran out of the champions league in the group stage too.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...bbdad0-2d66-11e5-960f-22c4ba982ed4_story.html:

Severance pay to Paul Hewitt with 1 year remaining on his contract - $650,000

Severance pay to Dave Paulsen with 2 years remaining on his contract - $400,000 [($400,000 x 2) / 2]

Severance pay to Dave Paulsen with 1 year remaining on his contract - $200,000 ($400,000 / 2)

Note: These figures are approximate inasmuch as the coaches' base pay would be adjusted for any GMU pay increases during the applicable contract.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Paulsen would only get fired if was caught doing something really really bad. For him, it might be chugging mt dew in the nude. I say Jollay work something up.

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think Paulsen did bring the program out of the morass of the Hewitt years but I am now seeing that it won't go any further than is being in medium to low tier team in the A 10. I will not settle for mediocrity.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In my view, there is no reason to rant and rave. As some have said, nothing will happen until new permanent leadership is in place and nor should it. DP will not be fired after this year, but a decision will have to be made after next year. If things continue on the current trajectory, the decision should be pretty clear cut. The interesting part would be if the trajectory switched and went the other way for the positive and we did something none of us expect. Happily cross that bridge if that happens.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
They won a combined 8 conference games in Hewitt's last two seasons, and last year they won 11 under Paulsen. How is that the same spot?
IMO I judge a coach on post season appearances. So far the best they could do is one CBI/CIT appearance.

patriotchild

Starter
Just throwing this out there for the sake of discussion. Is all this jumping the gun?

I mean people bought billboards to get Mooney fired last year and now they have a shot at the tournament this year. And we could be in a similar situation with paulsen.

The obvious problems we are talking about are this turnaround not being fast enough and the roster mismanagement. But does that mean he can’t coach and can’t get it right in the next two years vs. taking a gamble on starting over?

We’ve seen general improvement in wins and competitiveness (even with non A10 caliber rosters and injuries). If he was a horrible coach we’d have never gotten out of the PIG.

So, for discussion sake, lets say the recruiting situation is improving this year and next and Dave finally stabilizes the roster. This year we stay out of the PIG and next year he gets us another 5-7 A10 finish with a solid recruiting class on the horizon.

Do we still think he needs to go or is there some fundamental coaching flaw that we can’t ignore and pull the trigger anyway?