Facilities and Arena discussion

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
what everyone seems to be forgetting is EBA routinely sells out the arena for concerts/monster trucks/formerly circus'. It is not in their best interest to tear EBA down when it makes more money for the university off non basketball related shows than the basketball team. If we build a new smaller stadium EBA is still going to stay for a while until it is not nice enough to continue being a venue for large audiences
Remember that for some of those shows its half house 3/4 house so the capacity is still 6 or 7 thousand compared to 10k. Also, the concerts may sell out but the Sesame Street live and Circus shows never sold out over the course of like the 12 shows they would do. At least they didn't when I worked there. Even with a concert sell out it isn't the full arena that has seats/attendees standing/sitting.

I do think it would be good to build a 5000 or 7500 seat facility specific for basketball and then have EBA still take the bigger events. Don't know how practical that is though. I always remember being told "EBA was built for basketball" as an usher, heh.

At the end of the day, I think we'll be lucky if we see a new arena in our lifetime at the rate Mason moves on this stuff.

Glad we hit on this August topic. Maybe we can talk about mason football next lol.

OP
S

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Remember that for some of those shows its half house 3/4 house so the capacity is still 6 or 7 thousand compared to 10k. Also, the concerts may sell out but the Sesame Street live and Circus shows never sold out over the course of like the 12 shows they would do. At least they didn't when I worked there. Even with a concert sell out it isn't the full arena that has seats/attendees standing/sitting.

I do think it would be good to build a 5000 or 7500 seat facility specific for basketball and then have EBA still take the bigger events. Don't know how practical that is though. I always remember being told "EBA was built for basketball" as an usher, heh.

At the end of the day, I think we'll be lucky if we see a new arena in our lifetime at the rate Mason moves on this stuff.

Glad we hit on this August topic. Maybe we can talk about mason football next lol.
They had 11k people when the Korean boy band and some of the Shakira like Latam performers came. Max capacity (I knew that because my friend was a bartender there and paid the rent off tips for those shows ) They also used to pack the place with Christian Rock and UFC/WWE shows as well (those were full stadium or at least 3/4.

We are talking about doing 3/4 at a 7000 arena if they tear EBA down. That is a massive loss of money

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Speaking of concerts at EBA. Good a time as ever to post this shot of Neil Young staring me down before he and his band Crazy Horse bust out with "Like A Hurricane" and raising the roof off the joint. --11/30/12

Attachments

• NY Patriot Center 11-30-12.jpg
    NY Patriot Center 11-30-12.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 281

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
They had 11k people when the Korean boy band and some of the Shakira like Latam performers came. Max capacity (I knew that because my friend was a bartender there and paid the rent off tips for those shows ) They also used to pack the place with Christian Rock and UFC/WWE shows as well (those were full stadium or at least 3/4.

We are talking about doing 3/4 at a 7000 arena if they tear EBA down. That is a massive loss of money
I would take that for a better basketball experience and use the EBA land for the School of Economics building or something academic. The money could be made up elsewhere.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

If they had 11k people they would have set a new record for attendance which I think was set in like 1994. I think they have those records on the website if you want to go look. Maybe they had the 11k "unofficially" because it would have been some sort of fire code issue.

Last edited:
OP
S

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If they had 11k people they would have set a new record for attendance which I think was set in like 1994. I think they have those records on the website if you want to go look.
the 10,356 by Phish has long been passed but not updated to my knowledge. BTS broke it in like 2018

OP
S

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I would take that for a better basketball experience and use the EBA land for the School of Economics building or something academic. The money could be made up elsewhere.
Completely agree with you but we are clearly in the minority on that

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
what everyone seems to be forgetting is EBA routinely sells out the arena for concerts/monster trucks/formerly circus'.
The former circus is coming back. Still Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey, but a totally different show.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Speaking of concerts at EBA. Good a time as ever to post this shot of Neil Young staring me down before he and his band Crazy Horse bust out with "Like A Hurricane" and raising the roof off the joint. --11/30/12
Maybe all these concerts is why TOC felt the roof couldn't support the video scoreboard all these years. Nah, im giving him too much cred.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I imagine Shakira could sell out Soldier Field in the middle of January.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This is probably a lame comment, but I once told TOC that I thought the EBA was too dark. Perhaps all gold seats? Brighter paint scheme? He told me some "expert" said that darker was more intimidating to visiting teams. Of course I couldn't say much since that was when we had the longest home court winning streak in the nation. But, I still think I'm right and he and the "expert" are wrong. For instance, Carolina Blue seems to work pretty well for the Tarheels. YMMV.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
This is probably a lame comment, but I once told TOC that I thought the EBA was too dark. Perhaps all gold seats? Brighter paint scheme? He told me some "expert" said that darker was more intimidating to visiting teams. Of course I couldn't say much since that was when we had the longest home court winning streak in the nation. But, I still think I'm right and he and the "expert" are wrong. For instance, Carolina Blue seems to work pretty well for the Tarheels. YMMV.
Empty seats show a lot worse on TV in bright colored seats than dark ones. Until we start filling the arena I’d vote to keep them darker.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Guess we'll have to cancel Jace Posey's official visit this weekend. I present to you Mason's 2023 recuiting class. Ranked dead last by VerbalCommits, Rivals and ESPN but #1 in Forbes. Let's Gooooo!!!!

Elon-Musk-Reveals-He-Cuts-His-Own-Hair-and-Son-Xs-in-Throwback-Thanksgiving-Photo-Elon-Musk-Reveals-He-Cuts-His-Own-Hair-and-Son-Xs-in-Throwback-Thanksgiving-Photo-44-01082022-84d7a8202e88483884cd0b5162abf09b.jpg
f5a96b671a36790e.jpg
0_National-Portrait-Gallerys-2019-November-Gala.jpg
That Musk kid is way too small...

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Also, those luxury boxes were added to UT's arena during a substantial remodel which included changing the orange seats to black. The remodel cost $20M in 2007, but it included more than just adding boxes and new seating. For the Patriot Center, $20M to get luxury boxes, new seating and updated concourse would be worth it. I am guessing it would be more now.