Facilities and Arena discussion

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I like the ideas posted here, but I doubt anyone from Mason Athletics is reading this message board.

Take your ideas that you have posted here, and email people in Mason Athletics letting them know of your ideas, suggestions, and improvements etc

Here is the Mason Athletics staff directory:

Completely agree. They do read the boards, but personal engagement is always better and taken more serious.

1. Perhaps two Gold Rooms? One on the North side where it currently stands and one on the South Side? Easier/faster access and smaller crowds might be an immediate benefit. Just a thought. Curtains are not hard to put up and it gives you the chance to hire a few more folks who are looking for work.

2. Put up a tent outside the current Gold Room on the patio. Double the space almost immediately. A few heaters for the really cold days and you're good to go. I usually move out there for fresh air anyway.

3. Much more expensive option? Build a permanent structure on the patio attached to the current Gold Room.

I've said this before. I pay for the Gold Room because I have the chance to talk with friends, look at stats, and toss back a cold one if the mood strikes me. I never eat the food because it's always wings, pasta, pizza, subs etc. High carb, inexpensive, and filling so the sponsor gets the best bang for the buck. I understand, it's like that at ALL stadiums and venues. I'm not expecting prime rib or 5 star service. That being said, it certainly would be nice to have more room to move around freely.

It took me 3 years of asking for a countdown clock in the Gold Room before we finally got it this year. I've also repeatedly asked about having information sent out in a more timely manner. Getting the Gold Room vendor information 4 hours before game time is unacceptable. You can't tell me they don't have the sponsors set up before the season starts.
Agree with almost all of the above. We still need a video feed of the half-time events (or maybe a Commanders game if one is on). I also think the school could put a tented canopy cover the outside area for ~$25-30k, with another $5-10k for plastic sides. Even without heaters, I'd go out there for fresher and cooler air and elbow room. Put a bar out there and I'm good. I'd even shell out another $100/ticket for that.

Thanks Patriotsince81 - great call on the countdown clock. Was it off a bit in the last game?

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Agree with almost all of the above. We still need a video feed of the half-time events (or maybe a Commanders game if one is on). I also think the school could put a tented canopy cover the outside area for ~$25-30k, with another $5-10k for plastic sides. Even without heaters, I'd go out there for fresher and cooler air and elbow room. Put a bar out there and I'm good. I'd even shell out another $100/ticket for that.

Thanks Patriotsince81 - great call on the countdown clock. Was it off a bit in the last game?
By a minute or two it seemed to me.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Tell us what can be done, how much it would cost and then ask us to contribute directly to it - I'd 100% be down for that.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not Brian, but I've been to most arenas in the A-10 and am not sure I've seen a school try to feed so many of their donors. Yes, the Gold Room has its' challenges, but it's hard to argue it's not worth the price. By my quick math, if you drink 3 beers a game at 16 home games, and figure $12/beer (I think they are even more on the concourse) you are getting almost $600 of value right there and that's before having a bite to eat.

By all means keep working to improve the experience, but I think our fanbase is one of the few that expects virtually all donors/season ticket holders to have unlimited food & drink each game. We're also now a few years into allowing drinks to be taken to the seats, yet still most pregame introductions and starts of the second half are missed by a significant chunk of our donors who have to be encouraged to leave the gold room...

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not Brian, but I've been to most arenas in the A-10 and am not sure I've seen a school try to feed so many of their donors. Yes, the Gold Room has its' challenges, but it's hard to argue it's not worth the price. By my quick math, if you drink 3 beers a game at 16 home games, and figure $12/beer (I think they are even more on the concourse) you are getting almost $600 of value right there and that's before having a bite to eat.

By all means keep working to improve the experience, but I think our fanbase is one of the few that expects virtually all donors/season ticket holders to have unlimited food & drink each game. We're also now a few years into allowing drinks to be taken to the seats, yet still most pregame introductions and starts of the second half are missed by a significant chunk of our donors who have to be encouraged to leave the gold room...
I concur. I've not been to all arenas, but as I have mentioned before, the ODU Big Blue room no longer provides any food freebies. It is available for purchase, of course, but it's not free. I would rather have no changes to the Gold Room rather than paying (more at the time of transaction) for my food and drink.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I concur. I've not been to all arenas, but as I have mentioned before, the ODU Big Blue room no longer provides any food freebies. It is available for purchase...
Gotta pay for football somehow.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think our fanbase is one of the few that expects virtually all donors/season ticket holders to have unlimited food & drink each game.
I don't think that is a fair way to put it - it is the PC that said hey - for $600 you can have food and drink each game, then failed to be able to effectively deliver on that.

My guess is people would be fine if food wasn't included - but if it is supposed to be, then people are going to expect to be able to eat and will factor that in when making their financial decision of whether to get gold room passes.

In my opinion, the complaints are really all about too many people in too small of a space - simple as that - and no real communication about what is being done.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Upon further consideration - get rid of the food, keep price the same for next year (which is actually an increase), and open up the food area for more high tops.

In 30 seconds I just created more space and increased the price without increasing the price.

And offer kid/non-drinking reduced fees.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Upon further consideration - get rid of the food, keep price the same for next year (which is actually an increase), and open up the food area for more high tops.

In 30 seconds I just created more space and increased the price without increasing the price.

And offer kid/non-drinking reduced fees.
I could agree with getting rid of the food but not the drink.

However, I do have an issue with reducing the price for non-drinking/kids. The money is raised for the Patriot Club, the food and drink are a benefit. You're not paying for the food and drink with your donation.

Now, maybe it's because I'm through the kid stage, and FWIW, for a number of years I paid for 4 Gold Room passes so me and my 3 kids could go to the game so I could feed them and I could drink. Now I pay for 3 and mostly go to the games by myself but sometimes my daughter comes with me.

The money is for the Patriot Club for the athletic teams, and the teams need the money. You want athletics to be top of the line, well it costs more than the Commonwealth of Virginia gives them each year.

It's the curse of being a fan. We give, and as alumni, that's our job. Sorry for the long speech/rant. This post didn't start this way; it took on a life of it's own and here we are.

I like the ideas posted here, but I doubt anyone from Mason Athletics is reading this message board.

Take your ideas that you have posted here, and email people in Mason Athletics letting them know of your ideas, suggestions, and improvements etc

Here is the Mason Athletics staff directory:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The Gold Room is expensive to operate?

It must be those damn cashmere curtains…

Give me a break, man. It's a cheaply thrown together "hospitality space" that's been neglected by the school for years (oh wait, there's a countdown clock now!), but people should have to pay more for it? Don't punish people and their wallets because you (the school) don't want to put in any effort or resources to fix the actual problem (the Gold Room itself) and create a better experience. You'd be pointing the finger at the fans and saying they are the problem.

If you want people to pay more there should be measurable enhancements to the experience and space beyond more elbow room, that's an absolute joke otherwise.
You seem to be an expert on operating the gold room and have lots of complaints about it. How many times you have been there this season to experience the deplorable conditions?

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
You seem to be an expert on operating the gold room and have lots of complaints about it. How many times you have been there this season to experience the deplorable conditions?
My complaints are no different than what’s been talked about on these boards for years. I fully admit that I dig in on this stuff too much, for which I have my career in the sports industry to blame.

I’d just love to see them take initiative and exhaust other options (maybe they have, no idea) before defaulting to jacking up prices and weeding people out, that’s all.

Maybe that’s completely unreasonable. But if not, and funding is the main issue, make it known to the fanbase so folks can contribute and feel like they’re a part of the solution to make it better, I know I would. I donate regardless, but have always said I’d consider giving more if they better communicated about projects and areas of need.

I think I’m officially tapped out on the Gold Room topic.

What do people think about seeking a naming rights deal from a gaming operator like Draftkings or Fanduel once the Eaglebank naming rights deal ends? We might be able to get more money which we could pump into the program!

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What do people think about seeking a naming rights deal from a gaming operator like Draftkings or Fanduel once the Eaglebank naming rights deal ends? We might be able to get more money which we could pump into the program!

I think its a great idea. I'm sure Draftkings and Fanduel will open their checkbooks to a 40 year old arena.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

No sports books or crypto exchanges for me, please.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Based on our recent performance I think Pepperidge Farm would be the perfect sponsor:
0b4fcaa6-6257-40e4-83f6-24b6f6755dd7.2485a401f47c44e2253954514ff4ff5a.jpeg

Instead of just 4 in a box you'd have to have like a 20-count megapack they'd sell at Costco, but that can be worked out once the deal is inked.