Coronavirus Pandemic Impacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Every member of Mason's men's and women's cross country teams are on the track and field teams. Both cross country and track and field share the same head coach, full-time assistant, and volunteer assistant. IMO, it makes absolutely no sense to drop cross country and adversely impact Mason's best sport.

Don’t care. Sorry, but the reality is we are effectively a one-sport school. The rest of them could be converted to club status and almost nobody would blink an eye.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Don’t care. Sorry, but the reality is we are effectively a one-sport school. The rest of them could be converted to club status and almost nobody would blink an eye.
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I would tend to agree... do think Track and Field may be the sport we are the best at even if nobody really cares to support the team. In reality we need to keep Basketball x2, T&Fx2, Volleyballx2, Soccer x2, Swimming x2, Baseball and Softball. Then go ahead and keep whichever sports make most sense to get to the minimum. If girls Lax is deemed more important than girls tennis so be it... IDC just move us to the minimum to take away yet another $$ excuse and pour that extra into basketball, Volleyball and T&F

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Not to be contrary, but over the years I've met many Mason students and alums who told me that they never attended any athletic competitions at Mason including men's basketball. I know that applications for admission increased significantly after the Final Four. But, I wonder how many students apply to Mason anymore because of its "one-sport".

If I were a Mason alum, I would be proud that Mason was the first women's soccer team other than UNC to win the NCAA championship. And, proud that men's track and field won an NCAA indoor team championship, was an NCAA outdoor team runner-up, and has had several NCAA individual champions.

I would like to see Mason commit the requisite resources to compete for NCAA championships again in multiple sports, notwithstanding it being effectively a "one-sport school".

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not to be contrary, but over the years I've met many Mason students and alums who told me that they never attended any athletic competitions at Mason including men's basketball. I know that applications for admission increased significantly after the Final Four. But, I wonder how many students apply to Mason anymore because of its "one-sport".

If I were a Mason alum, I would be proud that Mason was the first women's soccer team other than UNC to win the NCAA championship. And, proud that men's track and field won an NCAA indoor team championship, was an NCAA outdoor team runner-up, and has had several NCAA individual champions.

I would like to see Mason commit the requisite resources to compete for NCAA championships again in multiple sports, notwithstanding it being effectively a "one-sport school".
I mean they aren't going to cut T&F or women's soccer so while I get your point it is moot. Get rid of all the niche sports, get down to minimum and pump more money into the remaining sports. It is fairly simple.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They already cut masonette funding a couple years ago and more people go out to watch them perform than women’s tennis lol. Just do it. Get bad press and move on

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...otball-basketball-starting-june-1-sources-say:

"The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to allow voluntary on-campus athletic activities to resume in football and men's and women's basketball, starting June 1, multiple sources confirmed to ESPN.

After the coronavirus pandemic forced the shutdown of sports across the country, the council banned all on-campus athletic activities. That moratorium was set to expire May 31."

"When student-athletes do return, they will find a new normal. Athletics officials are expected to lay out protocols to try and maintain a safe return, including small workout groups, maintaining social distancing, constant wiping down of equipment and the use of masks inside facility buildings. Many schools are making plans for a deep clean of their facilities before athletes return."

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...otball-basketball-starting-june-1-sources-say:

"The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to allow voluntary on-campus athletic activities to resume in football and men's and women's basketball, starting June 1, multiple sources confirmed to ESPN.

After the coronavirus pandemic forced the shutdown of sports across the country, the council banned all on-campus athletic activities. That moratorium was set to expire May 31."

"When student-athletes do return, they will find a new normal. Athletics officials are expected to lay out protocols to try and maintain a safe return, including small workout groups, maintaining social distancing, constant wiping down of equipment and the use of masks inside facility buildings. Many schools are making plans for a deep clean of their facilities before athletes return."

Step 1 right there. Will be interested to see when Mason brings the basketball team back to fairfax. Would imagine they want to get the freshman in ASAP to get integrated with tutors/gym before next summer session classes start.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...l-distancing-models-show-potential-20000-fans:

"Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said Wednesday that his athletic department has run several social distancing models to consider having fans in stands at games this fall, and Ohio Stadium, with a normal capacity of more than 100,000, would hold a crowd closer to 20,000-22,000 fans and up to 40,000-50,000 'if guidelines are relaxed.'"

"To determine who would get priority access to the limited seats available, Smith said the athletic department would first turn to the points system already in place but would also consider faculty, staff, students, donors, media, parents and other groups."

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...l-distancing-models-show-potential-20000-fans:

"Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said Wednesday that his athletic department has run several social distancing models to consider having fans in stands at games this fall, and Ohio Stadium, with a normal capacity of more than 100,000, would hold a crowd closer to 20,000-22,000 fans and up to 40,000-50,000 'if guidelines are relaxed.'"

"To determine who would get priority access to the limited seats available, Smith said the athletic department would first turn to the points system already in place but would also consider faculty, staff, students, donors, media, parents and other groups."

There’s a lot of logistical issues with bathrooms and the concourse, but something similar could easily happen in the Pat Dome. Open up the corners that are currently used for advertising and I think it’s reasonable to say 2500-3000 could distance out.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://www.espn.com/college-sports...l-financial-wreckage-due-coronavirus-pandemic:

"As bad as the past three months have been, university administrators fear the worst is yet to come because of declining enrollment, stressed state budgets, smaller endowments and increased costs in public health and safety."

"Intercollegiate sports, and particularly football and men's basketball, have often been called a university's front porch because of the public relations and marketing opportunities they offer through media exposure. Winning teams have historically led directly to increases in admission applications and financial contributions from alumni and fans.

Will sports be as important to administrators in the post-coronavirus era of higher education?

'When this over, these schools that have been propping up their athletic departments with student fees and other money might no longer believe the front porch is as important when the rest of the house is crumbling,' said one Power 5 athletic director.

Even for the most financially stable athletics programs, the days of $75 million coaching contracts, $55 million football facilities, bloated support staffs, multimillion-dollar buyouts for losing coaches and steak and lobster dinners for recruits might be over.

'I'm not saying it gives us the opportunity to hit a reset button, but I think it's definitely going to cause people to pause as they think about what they're doing with their capital projects, high-salary individuals, including athletic directors, and whether your institution has proper reserves in place,' Louisville athletic director Vince Tyra said."

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They should probably also take a look at the resort-style living on campus as well. Not that I want students living in squalor, but it’s pretty insane the amenities they are getting versus what campuses looked like say 30 years ago.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

·
1h

East Carolina is cutting men's and women's swimming as well as men's and women's tennis, per release.

Another effect of coronavirus.

https://www.wect.com/2020/05/21/east-carolina-cutting-four-athletics-programs-due-budget-shortfall/:

"With the cuts, the university is at the minimum number of programs that the NCAA requires for Division I FBS schools.

This will impact 68 student-athletes and nine coaches.

ECU says in addition to cutting the four sports, it will also make other budget cuts.

That includes eliminating several vacant positions, a limit on summer school for student-athletes, and suspending all professional development/conferences for at least a year.

Prior to the outbreak, ECU says their athletics department had a $7.5 million deficit this fiscal year. The pandemic increased that to $10.2 million while the university says it hopes to save $4.9 million with today's announced cuts."

Last edited:

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Nothing says college sports is a business like opening up campus to athletes who play football and basketball, but keep athletes away from campus who play sports with seasons that normally start in August. And I'm not complaining because it IS a business, but I'm sure some soccer or women's volleyball players must be asking why they have to stay home but the basketball team can work out when their games don't start until November.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://getgwtix.com/Online/default.asp:

"Covid-19 Update: GW Athletics prioritizes the safety of our fans, players, employees, students, and partners, and will continue to monitor Covid-19 guidelines set forth by government and university officials, along with the A-10 Conference. We are evaluating all options, including the potential for an arena setup that allows for social distancing. This may require season ticket locations to be altered, and we will address changes case-by-case. We will continue to update our season ticket holders with any changes to their seats."

I wonder if Mason is considering the option of selling 2020-21 season tickets only for men's basketball in order to accommodate social distancing guidelines?

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://guhoyas.com/news/2020/5/22/mens-basketball-a-statement-from-georgetown-athletics.aspx:

"WASHINGTON – Georgetown University's Head Men's Basketball Coach Patrick Ewing has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. Ewing has elected to share his diagnosis publicly to emphasize that this virus can affect anyone.

'I want to share that I have tested positive for COVID-19. This virus is serious and should not be taken lightly,' Ewing said. 'I want to encourage everyone to stay safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones. Now more than ever, I want to thank the healthcare workers and everyone on the front lines. I'll be fine and we will all get through this.'

Ewing is under care and isolated at a local hospital. He is the only member of the Georgetown men's basketball program to have tested positive for the virus."

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
https://getgwtix.com/Online/default.asp:

"Covid-19 Update: GW Athletics prioritizes the safety of our fans, players, employees, students, and partners, and will continue to monitor Covid-19 guidelines set forth by government and university officials, along with the A-10 Conference. We are evaluating all options, including the potential for an arena setup that allows for social distancing. This may require season ticket locations to be altered, and we will address changes case-by-case. We will continue to update our season ticket holders with any changes to their seats."

I wonder if Mason is considering the option of selling 2020-21 season tickets only for men's basketball in order to accommodate social distancing guidelines?

I hope so, at least first dibs should go to full season ticket packages. I wonder how many season ticket holders there were last season?

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...fall-championships-continues-despite-covid-19:

"The membership is aware of the sense of loss student-athletes felt with the cancellations announced in March of the remaining 2020 winter and spring championships. Preliminary consideration is being given in hopes of avoiding that type of scenario again.

'We are in early discussions right now of looking at "Does it make sense for us to move up the regular season and try to conclude fall championships on, around or before the week of Thanksgiving?’” Comstock said. 'If we can, and it makes sense, we certainly would like to have a complete experience for the student-athletes this fall.'

On Wednesday, the Division I Council voted to allow football and basketball student-athletes to participate in on-campus voluntary athletics activities beginning June 1, as long as all local, state and federal regulations are followed. On Friday, the Council voted to allow voluntary athletics activities in all Division I sports beginning June 1."

EYpgmKeXYAEADd8

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.