Coronavirus Pandemic Impacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
No clue either... But I know we can get down at least 2 sports (1 male/1female)... We technically have 20 while I know for a fact other A10 schools have 18... Quick google search didn't help much to see if we could go lower than 18 though

I don't remember what year vcu dropped sports, but it's down to 15.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't remember what year vcu dropped sports, but it's down to 15.
Well then 15 seems to be the mark. I was judging the age old A10 teams before vcu and mason came in. Who knows what vcu was able to do to skirt the rules

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Who knows what vcu was able to do to skirt the rules

Dude, that's Will Wade's old home. You really think Mason is going to get on that level of skirting the rules? They're playing 3-D Chess over there on rule-skirting while we're over here hoping to say "King Me!"

It's a pipe dream. It's Chinatown.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Dude, that's Will Wade's old home. You really think Mason is going to get on that level of skirting the rules? They're playing 3-D Chess over there on rule-skirting while we're over here hoping to say "King Me!"

It's a pipe dream. It's Chinatown.
I feel you haha. Worst case scenario we can still cut two sports and be just fine

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
100% goodbye men’s tennis, cross country, golf and women’s rowing, lacrosse and tennis. We aren’t good at any of the above so we aren’t losing prestige and they are just tiny money pits that have 0 ROI

I disagree on dropping men's cross country and lacrosse. Mason can excel in both sports, and the former is essential for Mason's best sport (track and field). The question that I would ask is whether Mason is committed to replacing or significantly upgrading Spuhler Field (including adding lights). If not, then why not consider dropping baseball?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I disagree on dropping men's cross country and lacrosse. Mason can excel in both sports, and the former is essential for Mason's best sport (track and field). The question that I would ask is whether Mason is committed to replacing or significantly upgrading Spuhler Field (including adding lights). If not, then why not consider dropping baseball?
Correct me if I’m wrong but mason is not known for long distances runners as it is. The best track members are not also members of cross country to my knowledge. And I honestly couldn’t care if we were good at women’s lacrosse or not so I just say get rid of it. What would you suggest for 6 sports getting the axe?

I wouldn’t get rid of baseball but with how bad the facilities and team are maybe that is an option.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know one of the other facility upgrades that Brad has done were the dugouts at the baseball field. Also before this pandemic one of the big targets for giving day was the baseball scoreboard.

Baseball is probably not going to be dropped.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This really isn’t that difficult if Mason’s admin is willing to take the short-term PR hit.

Keep: Basketball (M/W), Soccer (M/W), Track (M/W), Volleyball (M/W), Swim and Dive (M/W), Baseball, Softball, Wrestling, Women’s Lax.

Everything else, see ya.

Personally, I don’t even think it would be THAT big of a PR hit. With everything going on, and schools cutting left and right, this would probably blow over in a few weeks. Give scholarships to everyone currently on scholarship on all of those teams for the remainder of their undergrad or say you will help them arrange transfer options, and then when they have all graduated you’ve washed your hands of any financial obligations to those programs that are undoubtedly losing you money year in year out.

I’ll be surprised if we do it.

KAOriginal

All-American
We barely support our basketball team. No one will lose sleep if we cut other sports and just meet the minimum requirements.

Honor scholarships for 2 more years (only freshman have to make real decisions)....or help arrange transfers.... so no one is totally screwed.

Wash your hands and be done with the chaff.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This really isn’t that difficult if Mason’s admin is willing to take the short-term PR hit.

Keep: Basketball (M/W), Soccer (M/W), Track (M/W), Volleyball (M/W), Swim and Dive (M/W), Baseball, Softball, Wrestling, Women’s Lax.

Everything else, see ya.

I've been thinking this for years. You gotta also keep XC though if you want to maintain a solid track program.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I've been thinking this for years. You gotta also keep XC though if you want to maintain a solid track program.

I know many people assume that but I think they’re wrong. Distance runners literally have daily opportunities to train — they don’t need a cross country season to keep up with their mileage.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
true, but most distance runners prefer to compete in XC than track if they had the choice. It would be harder to recruit distance runners if we didnt have XC.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Every member of Mason's men's and women's cross country teams are on the track and field teams. Both cross country and track and field share the same head coach, full-time assistant, and volunteer assistant. IMO, it makes absolutely no sense to drop cross country and adversely impact Mason's best sport.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Correct me if I’m wrong but mason is not known for long distances runners as it is. The best track members are not also members of cross country to my knowledge.

https://gomason.com/news/2020/2/25/...tt-to-compete-at-olympic-trials-saturday.aspx:

"FAIRFAX, Va. – George Mason cross country and track & field alumni Bethany Sachtleben and Everrett Hackett will compete at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Marathon on Saturday, Feb. 29 in Atlanta, Ga. "

"Sachtleben won four individual Atlantic 10 titles during her collegiate career in Fairfax, including a 2015 cross country triumph in which she ran a collegiate 5K PR of 16:54.60. A two-time NCAA preliminary qualifier in track, Sacthleben won two 5000m Atlantic 10 Championships during her career and also captured the indoor 3000m crown in 2015.

Hackett, a former cross country and distance standout at Mason, broke the school record in the 5000m with a time of 14:03.16 in 2012, a record that stood for four years. He also ran the program's second-fastest time in the 10,000m (29:43.27) and indoor 3000m (8:09.35). He was a two-time IC4A champion at Mason, earning gold in cross country and the 5000m."

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
https://gomason.com/news/2020/2/25/...tt-to-compete-at-olympic-trials-saturday.aspx:

"FAIRFAX, Va. – George Mason cross country and track & field alumni Bethany Sachtleben and Everrett Hackett will compete at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Marathon on Saturday, Feb. 29 in Atlanta, Ga. "

"Sachtleben won four individual Atlantic 10 titles during her collegiate career in Fairfax, including a 2015 cross country triumph in which she ran a collegiate 5K PR of 16:54.60. A two-time NCAA preliminary qualifier in track, Sacthleben won two 5000m Atlantic 10 Championships during her career and also captured the indoor 3000m crown in 2015.

Hackett, a former cross country and distance standout at Mason, broke the school record in the 5000m with a time of 14:03.16 in 2012, a record that stood for four years. He also ran the program's second-fastest time in the 10,000m (29:43.27) and indoor 3000m (8:09.35). He was a two-time IC4A champion at Mason, earning gold in cross country and the 5000m."
Yea, I would definitely still cut it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.