News Coaching rumors swirl around Moton again (Durham Herald-Sun)

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not saying Moton wouldn't fit in here. I was saying maybe he doesn't see us as a good fit for him.

Walt, just to be clear, my rant in response to your comment was against the Fairfax community that hasn't supported our program even in our best days.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I really like Moton.
I really like Toole.
I really like Cherry.
I really like Prohm, just don't know if he really likes us.

Let's grab one and get the new era of Mason Basketball going! I can't wait!

KAOriginal

All-American
I'm on board the Moton train - see http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...8/a-fathers-parting-gift-pushes-levelle-moton:

"Before he became the 1996 CIAA player of the year and the school’s head coach 13 years later, he was a kid trapped in the drug game. He and his friends robbed convenience stores and engaged in petty crime. They also helped local dealers -- although they were too naïve to know exactly what they were involved with -- move their product through the neighborhood:

'I’d walk a package across the street to a parking lot for 10 dollars. I’d take a stroll down the block for 10 dollars. Eventually, after a few times walking across the street, I realized that I wasn’t delivering cookies.'

But everything changed the night police came to his home to question him about a murder that his buddies had committed during a burglary. Moton said he could have easily gone with that group that day but decided to stay home and watch "Good Times.”

That choice probably saved his life.

Today, he said he uses the lessons that he details in his book to teach his players about the value of good decisions. He said his background helps him reach young men (and their families) who’ve endured fatherless upbringings.

'People just want you to be real, especially when they’re giving you their most prized and precious possessions,' he said."

Hmm. Too bad he wasn't here for Eric Copes.....

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Yea really can we just hire someone and get this show on the road!

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I really like Moton.
I really like Toole.
I really like Cherry.
I really like Prohm, just don't know if he really likes us.

Let's grab one and get the new era of Mason Basketball going! I can't wait!

And Mason fans said in unison, Amen!

KAOriginal

All-American
Tom, how is this prose?

I really like Moton.
I really like Toole.
I really like Cherry.
Tom O'Connor's a fool.

Don't know if he likes us
But I really like Prohm
Still I can't stop laughing that
Jeff Jones banged Jollay's mom

Hall of Fame post. Yet like our alma mater we complain about...no HOF thread to preserve the greatest posts...

Herndon

All-Conference
His personality/community relations/whatever mean almost zero to me.

Is he a cheater? If not, what kind of basketball does he coach? What schemes does he run?

I want X's and O's here. Does anybody know?

wijg

Starter
The boards, and this thread especially, are on fire with great comedy this morning! Even though I might get fired since I am literally laughing out loud while the pointy haired boss is in the room, keep up the good work.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
True. I think it is the second wealthiest in the country, the first being on Colorado somewhere I believe. My point was simply there are pockets of Fairfax that are less affluent.
To back up Vurbel, there are plenty of poor people in Fairfax county, even though it is one of the richest counties in the nation. I work with some of them on a regular basis. We don't have the mean streets of an inner city, but there are plenty of poor people for Moton to connect with if he wants/needs that to fulfill himself.

P.S. I am loving the proper use of "couldn't care less" on here as of late. Good job tom and wijg on policing that during my hiatus.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
It's less about our community in the Fairfax area (that will happen naturally) and more about the communities where our recruits and current student-athletes are from. Moton has authenticity and passion that will help him strike a chord with the kids and their parents when he makes a home recruiting visit. If/when he gets to Mason and starts winning, that will pay off big-time - similar to the ways that Shaka is able to build his teams.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
It's less about our community in the Fairfax area (that will happen naturally) and more about the communities where our recruits and current student-athletes are from. Moton has authenticity and passion that will help him strike a chord with the kids and their parents when he makes a home recruiting visit. If/when he gets to Mason and starts winning, that will pay off big-time - similar to the ways that Shaka is able to build his teams.

Excellent point. I don't think we're doing much recruiting in Fairfax Station, Great Falls, or McLean.

KAOriginal

All-American
If he needs a "hood" to visit...there's always the Rt. 1 corridor down near Mt. Vernon...or he can jump the bridge to PG County and SE DC....spread his message and bring home recruits.

kane

Recruit
I think you guys are all getting it twisted. I get the impression that Moton likes to give back to poor neighborhoods...that HE grew up in. I don't get the impression that he makes a habit of adopting arbitrary poor neighborhoods where ever he goes. Maybe I'm wrong.

That being said, I commend him for his philanthropy no matter where it's directed, but I don't think a new coaching position, in Fairfax or anywhere else in the country, that pays him twice his current salary, precludes him in any way from continuing to give back to HIS community. In fact, it only enables him to increase his impact in the Raleigh/Triangle area. Maybe he'll adopt Richmond, VA and they can finally get rid of the smell down there.