Best/Worst in DC radio/TV

Patriotfan49

Starter
You ever wonder why every coach for the Redskins sucks? I mean Shottenheimer, Gibbs, Shanahan, Turner...

Yeah. Those guys have no idea what they are doing.

And before you say Shanahan did nothing after Elway retired, he had 6 winning seasons with only two losing season and took them to the playoffs 4 times after Elway with quarterbacks like Plummer and Griese. No Super Bowls to be sure, but how long did it take Cowher to get his after losing to Dallas?

Im not sure I get what you are going after?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not entirely. Its a mix of the players, coaches and owner. Bad signings and below average drafts, brought in by subpar coaches brought in by a terrible owner. It all adds up.

Again the guys I referenced are not subpar coaches. You said Mike Shanahan sucks. I was just trying to let you know Shanahan is not the problem.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Again the guys I referenced are not subpar coaches. You said Mike Shanahan sucks. I was just trying to let you know Shanahan is not the problem.

What is Shanny's record since being in DC? How far below 500 is it? Him and his son are part of the problem as well.

Also I wouldnt say that Schottenheimer, Gibbs, Spurrier or Turner are amazing coaches either. Norv is a pretty solid O coordinator....but HC no. Spurrier in the pros is lightyears away from what he is at USC, Gibbs should have stayed retired, Schottenheimer was a decent coach but nothing to write home about.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So because they were all unsuccessful in Washington hey can't coach? Is that what you are trying to say?

Patriotfan49

Starter
So because they were all unsuccessful in Washington hey can't coach? Is that what you are trying to say?

Is that what I said? No.

Yes they all were a range of bad to mediocre in Washington, but my point is they werent exactly top of the line coaches to begin with. But being bad here, they must also share their part of the blame when things go bad. Shannahan has been pretty bad since he got to DC, no real way around that.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I disagree. I think if the owner had kept his nose out of first player acquisitions and then the locker room all of these coaches would have been more successful on Washington. There's one common denominator here and it's the owner. He has now apparently poisoned this latest locker room by befriending yet another "star"

Patriotfan49

Starter
Shanny is the Coach and VP of Football Operations.....which means full control over player personnel.

Snyder is an awful owner for sure, but he has taken a step back from the years where he basically picked who came to DC. Shanny has ALOT of his touches on this team and who is here. Thats a double edge sword, when you have all that control and do well its all good....but when you are lacking in talent in just about every position.....there really is one man to look at.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
As a Redskins fan, I kind of have the same position I do with Hewitt and Mason. Although I'm not thrilled with what either one has accomplished, I'd rather roll with the devil I know next season rather than scrapping everything and starting over.

Washington has been horrible this year, but there are a lot of factors that go into that, including a ridiculous amount of turnovers (not on the coach), injures (RG3 was never really himself), some poor management decisions — which is obviously on Shanahan as the GM — and the salary cap restrictions (which is on Snyder and Allen).

That said, Shanahan like Hewitt needs to shake things up with his staff if he stays around, and I would start with replacing special teams coach Keith Burns. He also needs to be wise in free agency — like bringing in good players rather than big-name players —to fill some holes on the offensive line and the secondary since we don't have our top draft pick. I also wouldn't be opposed to a trade or two if that upgrades us, and yes that includes Cousins.

I am admittedly loyal to a fault as a fan, which is why I defend Hewitt and Shanahan. Replacing both might be the answer somewhere down the line, but I think both deserve at least another year to right the ship. If things don't get better — and there's no given either team will — then they both have no choice but to bring in replacements and start anew.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Shanny is the Coach and VP of Football Operations.....which means full control over player personnel.

Snyder is an awful owner for sure, but he has taken a step back from the years where he basically picked who came to DC. Shanny has ALOT of his touches on this team and who is here. Thats a double edge sword, when you have all that control and do well its all good....but when you are lacking in talent in just about every position.....there really is one man to look at.

Have you read the reports about Snyders friendship of RGIII? Taking a step back from player personnel decisions doesn't excuse the owners behavior in giving special treatment to certain players.

Shanahan won the division last season, was bit with a cap penalty and a suddenly inflated head of your quarterback who was coming back from a severe knee injury. None of this means you undermine the mans ability to try to work with what he has, which the owner has done and done repeatedly with his coaches

To say Shanahan "sucks" just shows your bias once again. That's all I was pointing out to you. I suppose the next four or five coaches to underperform in Washington will all be mediocre coaches too.

Patriotfan49

Starter
How is 24-38 bias?

Shanahan was a good coach, 10 years ago. Norv is a pretty solid O Coordinator, but not a good HC. Spurrier flamed out in the pros, and is a great coach at USC, Schottenheimer was a decent coach and Gibbs should have stayed retired. Where is the bias there?

Patriotfan49

Starter
As a Redskins fan, I kind of have the same position I do with Hewitt and Mason. Although I'm not thrilled with what either one has accomplished, I'd rather roll with the devil I know next season rather than scrapping everything and starting over.

That is where you and I differ. You are content with going the status quo and keep losing. Id prefer to clean it out and try and improve. If you arent trying to improve, you arent getting better. For example, 49ers werent going anywhere with Singletary and the issue was pretty clear, with your train of thought....Jim Harbaugh is either still at Stanford or coaching elsewhere and we havent had the past few years that we have had.

Washington is void of talent in about most positions, has a lame duck coaching staff, 3-11, and a very obvious split in the locker room. Why in the hell would you want Shanny back to continue that. Blow it up, and get some fresh blood in there.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
That is where you and I differ. You are content with going the status quo and keep losing.

Don't put words in my mouth, man. I never said I am content with losing. In fact, I hate it with a passion. I just don't think starting over guarantees anything other than another year of two of mediocrity. Plus, if keeping Hewitt another year means we keep the commitments from our three recruits — did you see Lockett's numbers his last two games? — then that's reason enough for me to bring him back.

And just to be crystal clear, my defense of both coaches is not personal for me. I've met both men, and I find Hewitt to be aloof and Shanahan to be an arrogant prick. I just think bringing them back is worth the gamble rather than going with an unknown commodity. Seriously, other than maybe Baylor's head coach, who is a good fit to coach RG3?

What gets lost with the Redskins is that they are one year removed from winning the division and RG3 being the Rookie of the Year. If you look at the turnaround KC had from last year to this, it wouldn't take a complete overhaul for Washington to be a playoff team next year — especially with as bad as the NFC East is.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Do you realize how many times the Skins have blown up their coaching staff?

I say blow it up if you want to. Bring in fresh talent , but don't be surprised if the redskins continue to suck through the next 8 coaches.

Harry

Starter
I was a huge Shanny supporter. Now I can't help but think how can you keep a coach with double-digit losses in 3 of 4 seasons. Certainly there are reasons the season went bad but, as Gibbs used to say, you are your record. And we're looking squarely at 3-13.

I take some hope in looking at KC and Philly, where new coaches turned it around in one year. Let's give Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin, Ken Whisenhut, or others a chance. Hire a real talent-evaluating GM and keep Allen for contract negotiations and salary cap stuff.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was a huge Shanny supporter. Now I can't help but think how can you keep a coach with double-digit losses in 3 of 4 seasons. Certainly there are reasons the season went bad but, as Gibbs used to say, you are your record. And we're looking squarely at 3-13.

I take some hope in looking at KC and Philly, where new coaches turned it around in one year. Let's give Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin, Ken Whisenhut, or others a chance. Hire a real talent-evaluating GM and keep Allen for contract negotiations and salary cap stuff.

Oh. Shanahan is gone. But don't expect any of those guys to come in and fix what's wrong

Patriotfan49

Starter
Don't put words in my mouth, man. I never said I am content with losing. In fact, I hate it with a passion. I just don't think starting over guarantees anything other than another year of two of mediocrity. Plus, if keeping Hewitt another year means we keep the commitments from our three recruits — did you see Lockett's numbers his last two games? — then that's reason enough for me to bring him back.

And just to be crystal clear, my defense of both coaches is not personal for me. I've met both men, and I find Hewitt to be aloof and Shanahan to be an arrogant prick. I just think bringing them back is worth the gamble rather than going with an unknown commodity. Seriously, other than maybe Baylor's head coach, who is a good fit to coach RG3?

What gets lost with the Redskins is that they are one year removed from winning the division and RG3 being the Rookie of the Year. If you look at the turnaround KC had from last year to this, it wouldn't take a complete overhaul for Washington to be a playoff team next year — especially with as bad as the NFC East is.

I said you are content with the status quo (keeping Hewitt or Shanny), and of late that is losing. Which is exactly what you implied when you said that you would rather "stick with the devil you know". Is that not right?

That division last year, was a farce and the worst in the league. Also last year, RG3 jumped on the scene due to the entire read option bit. The league was going to figure it out to a degree, and as you see...they did. Guys like Kap and Wilson added pocket passing to their game, and they are benefitting now from it. RG3 and the Skins havent felt the need to change it up and add more to the offense for a variety of reasons.

Also, please do not even begin to lump teams like KC, AZ, Philly in the same category of the skins. KC had a load of talent waiting and they had just quit on the coach, and needed a QB to make it go. Enter Andy Reid and Alex Smith and you have an 11-3 team.

Starting over never guarantees anything, and you could bring in another dud for sure (chances are higher when you had an owner like Snyder who is unwilling to stay out of day to day biz) but being too scared to change when its painfully obvious change is needed, is also not a good plan either.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Interesting comparison there p49 since Andy Reid seemed to be both the problem with Philly and the solution at KC.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Reid needed a fresh start too and it got stale with Philly. Reid has always been a pretty successful coach, but it was his time to go in Philly and time for Philly to move on. He walked into a great situation with a team stacked with talent and pro bowlers, and then improved the main problem with going to get Alex Smith. Their success should be no surprise.

Sometimes its just time to move on for both sides, no matter what a coach has done in the past good or bad. Gotta get the "old" guard out and bring in the "future".