Baseball!

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Rhode Island (20-33) slotted in as the No. 4 overall seed behind a 14-10 record within conference competition, and will battle fifth overall George Mason (22-31, 13-11 A-10) at noon on Tuesday in the championship opener for the right to challenge the top-seeded Wildcats in the quarterfinals on Wednesday."

OP
P

phoenix-arizona

All-American
I am glad GMU finished above .500 in conference play. I feel like that is progress from previous seasons but those are sad overall records for a 4th seed and 5th seed.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Congrats to the Patriots on the comeback victory - Davidson is next for the Patriots!

Atlantic10Conference
@atlantic10
·
18m

An epic ninth-inning comeback from @MasonBaseball secures the opening day victory for the fifth-seeded Patriots, as a go-ahead RBI double plus back-to-back dingers carry the day here at the #A10BASE Championship! Next up, we've got No. 3 Saint Louis battling sixth overall SJU...

Last edited:
OP
P

phoenix-arizona

All-American
Still a chip and a chance:

''Mason will play in an elimination game, facing either Rhode Island or Richmond on Thursday, with the first pitch scheduled for 1:30 p.m. at Wilson Field.''

OP
P

phoenix-arizona

All-American
I would love to see them break even, or as close as possible, in their Feb matches

George Mason plays its first series of the 2023 campaign with three games against Florida International University in Miami, Fla. (Feb. 17-19).

Mason then visits James Madison for a midweek game in Harrisonburg, Va. (Feb. 21) and faces South Dakota State in a three-game set in Lexington, S.C. (Feb. 24-26). The Patriots wrap up the road stretch against William & Mary in Williamsburg, Va. (Feb. 28).

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I would love to see them break even, or as close as possible, in their Feb matches

George Mason plays its first series of the 2023 campaign with three games against Florida International University in Miami, Fla. (Feb. 17-19).

Mason then visits James Madison for a midweek game in Harrisonburg, Va. (Feb. 21) and faces South Dakota State in a three-game set in Lexington, S.C. (Feb. 24-26). The Patriots wrap up the road stretch against William & Mary in Williamsburg, Va. (Feb. 28).

Won the first one 8-2. They had a tendency to win 1 game and lose the series repeatedly the last few years. Maybe they’ll finally break that pattern?

mason89

Starter
Mason lost to JMU today. The write up seemed pretty rough on Mason’s Connor Knox. I feel badly for the kid- it’s got to be bad enough knowing he didn’t pitch too well in his first collegiate start. This article rubs salt in the wound. https://gomason.com/news/2023/2/21/baseball-patriots-drop-midweek-matchup-at-james-madison.aspx
Ouch. I know the feeling. Sometimes you can't find the plate and when you do, they jump all over you. Things just snowball. Hopefully he'll bounce back with a strong outing the next time he takes the mound.

OP
P

phoenix-arizona

All-American
If they still play down in Patriots' Point in Mount Pleasant it's a great place to watch some baseball. Nice college field.

• Rutgers University Logo

vs
    Rutgers University
    Charleston, S.C
    Feb 24 (Fri)
    5:00 PM ET
  • Canisius College Logo

vs
    Canisius College
    Charleston, S.C
    Feb 26 (Sun)
    1:00 PM ET

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Our baseball team has been beating the snot out other teams recently. Is this a sign of good things happening with the team, we are playing really bad teams, both, etc.?

OP
P

phoenix-arizona

All-American
I can't speak for Maine, but Saint Peter's is 0-14.

*Maine is 3-10 so it looks like GMU is beating up on cupcakes right now. Nothing wrong with that if it creates positive momentum and gives them the confidence to beat better teams.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We have definitely been beating up on cupcakes last two series, but the team does appear to be better than in recent history. Big big test will be @ #11 ECU in two weeks - winning one game will be an accomplishment.

I follow the ACC in baseball pretty closely, and then the NCAA tournament each year - and big distinction between the power programs and the "mid-major" programs like Mason is typically pitching. Big programs have elite/90+mph pitchers, and rest don't.

Conference seems mediocre this year, so hopefully an improved team can have a shot at the auto bid.