All Hewitt, Paulsen, English Team

FreeGunston12

All-American
Just a little thought experiment as we enter the Skinn era and rehash past coaches failures and successes:

You've got 13 scholarships to give to players that Hewitt, Paulsen, or English brought to Mason. This essentially becomes an all decade team (omitting a couple Larranaga leftovers). What does your team look like?

Here's mine off the top of my head:

1 Livingston, Kolek
2 Moore, Kier, Greene
3 Miller, Grayer, Gaines
4 Schwartz, Jenkins
5 Oduro, Thompson, Wilson

Im not holding transferring out against anybody in this age of coaching changes, grad transferring, and extra years due to COVID. Besides positioning (because I had a hard time deciding whether to base this off of the position they played for us at the time or what their natural position is), what did I get wrong?

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just a little thought experiment as we enter the Skinn era and rehash past coaches failures and successes:

You've got 13 scholarships to give to players that Hewitt, Paulsen, or English brought to Mason. This essentially becomes an all decade team (omitting a couple Larranaga leftovers). What does your team look like?

Here's mine off the top of my head:

1 Livingston, Kolek
2 Moore, Kier, Greene
3 Miller, Grayer, Gaines
4 Schwartz, Jenkins
5 Oduro, Thompson, Wilson

Im not holding transferring out against anybody in this age of coaching changes, grad transferring, and extra years due to COVID. Besides positioning (because I had a hard time deciding whether to base this off of the position they played for us at the time or what their natural position is), what did I get wrong?
Maybe Isiah Jackson based solely on his Providence career? Don't want to go back and look at those rosters, so I'll otherwise go by what you put together :)

illayin

Sixth Man
Maybe Isiah Jackson based solely on his Providence career? Don't want to go back and look at those rosters, so I'll otherwise go by what you put together :)

Another possibility in that realm is Trey Porter (based on his ODU/Nevada career)

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Only question I have is it based on Mason career or overall career. I think it would be fun to do Mason only.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If you’re going to include Kolek, I’d put him ahead of Otis at this point. Would also put Polite at 3rd there (he might also surpass Otis depending on what next season looks like).

Jenkins is a tough one. Feel like he should be considered a 5.

And to be really accurate you should probably just leave the 4 spot blanket and put Schwartz as a 3.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I've been debating whether or not to participate in this discussion because I know the thread was conceived with the best of intentions and I have respect for @FreeGunston12 and what he posts. I am not trying to be Debbie Downer, it's not my MO, but I would just as soon forget the three coaches.

GMU was 195-187 with zero NCAA or NIT appearances during the three tenures. Zero regular season titles and zero tournament titles. In no way am I attempting to minimize player contributions to the program but it was a mediocre era. I look forward to the day ten years from now when we can compile a similar list from teams with 5 or 6 NCAA appearances.

Sherrod Wright belongs on the list IMO. Ryan Pearson, Mike Morrison.

One of the greatest games ever at Mason. Wright for the win at the buzzer. Down goes vcu.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUYUi2HYgd0

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I've been debating whether or not to participate in this discussion because I know the thread was conceived with the best of intentions and I have respect for @FreeGunston12 and what he posts. I am not trying to be Debbie Downer, it's not my MO, but I would just as soon forget the three coaches.

GMU was 195-187 with zero NCAA or NIT appearances during the three tenures. Zero regular season titles and zero tournament titles. In no way am I attempting to minimize player contributions to the program but it was a mediocre era. I look forward to the day ten years from now when we can compile a similar list from teams with 5 or 6 NCAA appearances.

Sherrod Wright belongs on the list IMO.
You forgot about our second final four though

The final four of the CBI, lol.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If you’re going to include Kolek, I’d put him ahead of Otis at this point. Would also put Polite at 3rd there (he might also surpass Otis depending on what next season looks like).

Jenkins is a tough one. Feel like he should be considered a 5.

And to be really accurate you should probably just leave the 4 spot blanket and put Schwartz as a 3.
This is crazy talk. Polite is nowhere near passing Otis at the 1 regardless of what he does this year.

Check the attached career numbers for both and give me a coherent argument why Ronnie is even in the conversation other than he stayed. Pat Holloway had better stats than Ronnie has.

Attachments

• IMG_5225.jpeg
    IMG_5225.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5224.jpeg
    IMG_5224.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 15
OP
F

FreeGunston12

All-American

Sherrod Wright belongs on the list IMO. Ryan Pearson, Mike Morrison.

One of the greatest games ever at Mason. Wright for the win at the buzzer. Down goes vcu.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUYUi2HYgd0
If you read my original post, under my conditions (brought to Mason by one of the last 3 coaches) Wright would not qualify. And hate to point it out, but Pearson and Morrison graduated over 10 years ago.

If you wanted to extend it to 15 spots for the last 10 years (because I don't want to knock anybody off) and say no coaching limitations, then my other 2 would easily be Wright and Allen.

But yes, I'm just trying to point out some of the good as I hope we keep good relations with these guys despite the coaches they played under. Having Wilson and Thompson practice with the guys was a great start to that.

OP
F

FreeGunston12

All-American
Only question I have is it based on Mason career or overall career. I think it would be fun to do Mason only.
I was thinking overall, with the guiding thought being "who would you give a scholarship to?", since a lot of the recent discussion had been comparing Skinn's roster building to that of previous coaches. And I just wanted to point out some of the good players that I am grateful to have watched in a Mason jersey over the past 3 regimes.

If you said Mason career only, that would shake things up a bit. So go ahead and give us your Mason career only list.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is crazy talk. Polite is nowhere near passing Otis at the 1 regardless of what he does this year.

Check the attached career numbers for both and give me a coherent argument why Ronnie is even in the conversation other than he stayed. Pat Holloway had better stats than Ronnie has.

Because I don’t think we’ve seen Polite’s ceiling yet.

As for even Holloway having better stats, I will refer you to my post breaking down what Polite did once he finally got healthy and took over the position in the back half of last year.

I mean it could all fall apart on him. He could not stay healthy or regress (if Otis didn’t regress his senior year I wouldn’t be saying this at all), but I think Polite has a real shot to have a special season or two under Skinn.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I was thinking overall, with the guiding thought being "who would you give a scholarship to?", since a lot of the recent discussion had been comparing Skinn's roster building to that of previous coaches. And I just wanted to point out some of the good players that I am grateful to have watched in a Mason jersey over the past 3 regimes.

If you said Mason career only, that would shake things up a bit. So go ahead and give us your Mason career only list.
I always suck at these lists because I change my mind 50 times but I guess if I had 13 scholarships and could pick anyone from 2011-2012 until 2022-2023 based on being a Hewitt/Paulsen/English recruit this is who I would pick. And this still would be based on Mason career although I guess you could argue Kolek could be potentially replaced. I also thought about putting Goanar Mar (freshman version) on the list as well. Overall I think this somehow came out pretty solid.

PG: Moore, Livingston, Polite
SG: Grayer, Kolek, Greene, Kier
SF: Schwartz, Miller,
PF: Gaines, Jenkins
C: Thompson, Oduro