2200 days of Brad Edwards

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm just very sad right now at the thought of a long rebuild. We are 6 years in already.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Trust me, I'm not any happier about this than you or anybody else.

But what happened with Larranaga and Hewitt is water under the bridge at this point.

None of that has anything to do with Paulsen. Questioning his job status 3 games into his second season is wrong and counterproductive, IMHO.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
One thing for sure is we all hate losing, and I know Brad hates it more than anyone but we have to let Paulsen get some pieces to work and time with before we can judge in my opinion. Its just how it is unfortunately.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
Trust me, I'm not any happier about this than you or anybody else.

But what happened with Larranaga and Hewitt is water under the bridge at this point.

None of that has anything to do with Paulsen. Questioning his job status 3 games into his second season is wrong and counterproductive, IMHO.
Freaking out a little with these rotations. Just want a clear answer why we won't go two bigs.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Freaking out a little with these rotations. Just want a clear answer why we won't go two bigs.

Cause outside of Jenkins we don't have a productive big. He recruited 8 guards! I honestly thought we had a shot this season. Moore ,Jenkins, Otis, Abraham. And let Aj Wilson play!

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe Hewitt's mess isn't so bad after all. It seems fair to say Hewitt was a great recruiter but couldn't discipline or develope the talent.

Paul Hewitt's two recruits went for 42 points, 24 (18/27) rebounds, 7 assists, 4 TO.

Paulsen's 8 recruits went for 34 points (12/34) 22 rebounds, 7 assists, 12 TO

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe Hewitt's mess isn't so bad after all. It seems fair to say Hewitt was a great recruiter but couldn't discipline or develope the talent.

Paul Hewitt's two recruits went for 42 points, 24 (18/27) rebounds, 7 assists, 4 TO.

LOL

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023

Oh dear, never say that again!

Last edited:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
You guys all laugh at me but I point out facts.

I hope I'm wrong but we are going to be even worse next year when Hewitt's guys are gone.

Mason is a joke, and where a joke because our administration gets no pressure from fans.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
You guys all laugh at me but I point out facts.

I hope I'm wrong but we are going to be even worse next year when Hewitt's guys are gone.

Mason is a joke, and where a joke because our administration gets no pressure from fans.

I laugh at you because your "facts" are stupid.

Of course we're getting better production from the seniors than the sophomores and freshmen. Our seniors are our best players.

Unless you're recruiting one-and-done guys, that's almost always how it works.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Oh, and I strongly encourage you to go put some pressure on the administration to fire our coach three games into his second season.

Please report back about their response.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Oh, and I strongly encourage you to go put some pressure on the administration to fire our coach three games into his second season.

Please report back about their response.

I don't want him fired. I'm pissed we gave him an extension though. Yes seniors are expected to play better then freshman and sophomores. However, 2 players out scoring and out rebounding 8 players.

You guys are drinking the cool aid if you think Paulsens guys have more talent then Hewitt's. Even when Paulsens guys are seniors they won't be as good as Moore and Jenkins, or shevon.

This year is going to be worst then last years. And next will be even worse.

It amazes me that you guys are willing to wait 4 years before your email consider if he was the right hire.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't want him fired. I'm pissed we gave him an extension though. Yes seniors are expected to play better then freshman and sophomores. However, 2 players out scoring and out rebounding 8 players.

You guys are drinking the cool aid if you think Paulsens guys have more talent then Hewitt's. Even when Paulsens guys are seniors they won't be as good as Moore and Jenkins, or shevon.

This year is going to be worst then last years. And next will be even worse.

It amazes me that you guys are willing to wait 4 years before your email consider if he was the right hire.

What's the alternative?

If Dave doesn't get it done, he's gone. It's a bottom-line business. Nobody has to tell him that.

I just don't see what purpose it serves to be publicly undermining the coach (and questioning the talent of our players) on our message board early in his second season.

Rather than pissing and moaning, why not try to be part of the solution?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Can I just say something re: Jenkins? Two years ago, people on here were about to proclaim Jenkins a bust -- a talented player who was never going to reach his potential because he was too undisciplined and lacked low post moves. Early in his second season under Paulsen, the kid is tearing up in the low post and is probably not only our best weapon on offense, but our best one v one defender. A lot of that is on him, but some of that's has to do with who is coaching him, too. Paulsen isn't perfect, but he didn't inherit a stud roster loaded to succeed right away.

Also, give the young players a break. Remember guys like Ike Tate and Bryon Allen who took three (sometimes four) years to become the best versions of themselves. Not everyone is a ready made stud. We will have busts, we will have players regress (remember Folarin Campbell's junior season), we will have surprises (remember Like Hancock), we will have players transfer (sometimes good ones we don't want to leave).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Paulsen isn't perfect, but he didn't inherit a stud roster loaded to succeed right away.

Gemini, I agree with most of what you said except this. Paulsen inherited a lot of good players, he just couldn't convince them to stay or buy in. I imagine a good part of that is because players didn't want to go from a Club Med atmosphere under Hewitt to a bootcamp mentality under Paulsen.

Going into last year before players transferred, quit or got suspended, I would have loved to have rolled the dice with a lineup that included Moore, Holloway, Lockett, Jackson, Marko, Thompson and Porter. Had Paulsen landed Otis and Grayer to go with those players, that would have been a pretty formidable team. (I know, woulda, coulda, shoulda.)

I guess the silver lining in so many defections is that Paulsen will ultimately be judged based on his own recruits and system. After our two best players (Moore and Jenkins) graduate, every player on this team will be his, so he will justifiably live or die by his own sword.

(Note: Edited for accuracy on Copes reference, as pointed out by Pablos.)

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Gemini, I agree with most of what you said except this. Paulsen inherited a lot of good players, he just couldn't convince them to stay or buy in. I imagine a good part of that is because players didn't want to go from a Club Med atmosphere under Hewitt to a bootcamp mentality under Paulsen.

Going into last year before players transferred, quit or got suspended, I would have loved to have rolled the dice with a lineup that included Moore, Holloway, Lockett, Jackson, Marko, Thompson, Copes and Porter. Had Paulsen landed Otis and Grayer to go with those players, that would have been a pretty formidable team. (I know, woulda, coulda, shoulda.)

I guess the silver lining in so many defections is that Paulsen will ultimately be judged based on his own recruits and system. After our two best players (Moore and Jenkins) graduate, every player on this team will be his, so he will justifiably live and die by his own sword. I just hope he starts to recruit a few more players over 6-2 and 190 pounds.

To clarify, Copes' eligibility ended before Paulsen was hired. And, there are currently no scholarships available until the recruiting class of 2019. So, unless someone leaves early, the rosters for the next 2 seasons will consist of the current players including redshirting A.J. Wilson (less the seniors) and the 2 recruits who have signed their NLI.

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Brad,

If you're reading this thread, please check on why the last game notes posted on gomason.com is for the season opener vs. Towson.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Brad,

If you're reading this thread, please check on why the last game notes posted on gomason.com is for the season opener vs. Towson.

Just a heads up, might be better to reach out to someone in the AD, maybe the men's basketball SID. :)

Hey, good coaches are good coaches.

But, you give L Pat Holloway as a holdover instead of George Evans, and vice versa for Hewitt, stuff is very different.

Not excusing Hewitt, because his Okoloji actions alone merit his firing, but it's true.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Going into last year before players transferred, quit or got suspended, I would have loved to have rolled the dice with a lineup that included Moore, Holloway, Lockett, Jackson, Marko, Thompson and Porter. Had Paulsen landed Otis and Grayer to go with those players, that would have been a pretty formidable team. (I know, woulda, coulda, shoulda.)

I guess the silver lining in so many defections is that Paulsen will ultimately be judged based on his own recruits and system. After our two best players (Moore and Jenkins) graduate, every player on this team will be his, so he will justifiably live or die by his own sword.

(Note: Edited for accuracy on Copes reference, as pointed out by Pablos.)

Yeah - don't see a physical forward on next years roster and it is concerning. No Thomas, Lewis, Monroe or Jenkins type. Obviously some of those guys are better than others, but you get the point. Just hope the D and guard play in general can pick it up this year.