2200 days of Brad Edwards

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I just don't understand how we will ever complete in the A10. The top teams continue to out recruit us.
and yes Mason eventually beat Lebanon , but we were outcoached in the first half by a d3 coach. We won purely on athleticism in the 2nd half.

Maybe Paulsen should have recruited a shooter instead of 5 PGs.

MasonCrew

Starter
I just don't understand how we will ever complete in the A10. The top teams continue to out recruit us.
and yes Mason eventually beat Lebanon , but we were outcoached in the first half by a d3 coach. We won purely on athleticism in the 2nd half.

I wasn't at the game so I can't say for certain, but I'm more than betting that Paulsen was using this game as a practice.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You're just a homer.

Nah I speak the truth, and various others that you talk to would probably agree with me because I'm only spewing whats been beaten to death 1000 times around here. You can lead the bandwagon when Mason eventually turns the program around.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
- The state legislature will not let us raise student fees. If you disagree with this, that's fine, but it's beyond Mason's control.

- Paulsen got an extension because the rebuilding job was worse than anyone thought. Extensions are the cost of doing business in D1. Recruits want to see stability. If you want to get the best recruits, having your coach locked up for the entire 4 years of those recruits is a good idea. Paulsen did not get a raise or a "promotion." A 1 year extension at the same rate is a way of saying he did an acceptable job, but did not exceed expectations.

- Paulsen did recruit shooters. Newman and Kier were recruited to be shooters. But it's very rare that a shooter shows it at this level as a freshman, especially in November. Don't judge the potential of this class by anything you see this year.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It might take 2 more years.
I'm not expecting much until Otis's senior year. After watching these last two games I'm convinced any steps we take forward next year will be negated by losing Jenkins and Moore. Those two took over the game (as they should as seniors). Not anyone's fault, just the way the recruiting classes fell.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Also, serious question I'll probably get hammered for: what's stopping us from cutting some minor sports and redirecting funding (provided we do it in a Title IX compliant manner)?

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023

I'm pretty confident that the team speeding up in the second half and taking advantage of their athleticism was part of Paulsen coaching them.....

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Paulsen did recruit shooters. Newman and Kier were recruited to be shooters. But it's very rare that a shooter shows it at this level as a freshman, especially in November. Don't judge the potential of this class by anything you see this year.

For everyone who is permanently attached to vcu's nuts, their star freshman recruit, DeRiante Jenkins, has scored a grand total of zero points in his first two college games.

It's not like UNC Asheville and Liberty are top-tier competition either.

Jenkins was a top-50 recruit nationally, but even highly touted recruits need time to adjust to the speed and physicality of Division I basketball.

Maybe we can cut our freshmen a little slack?

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Also, serious question I'll probably get hammered for: what's stopping us from cutting some minor sports and redirecting funding (provided we do it in a Title IX compliant manner)?
I think we just became friends! I have been saying this forever, and yes you will get hammered for this thought. Just wait.

G M U

Starter
I'm pretty confident that the team speeding up in the second half and taking advantage of their athleticism was part of Paulsen coaching them.....

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Peep the stat sheet, they had 5 players with 36, 37, 36, 30, 25 minutes respectively. I'm thinking they just got tired, that and the fact that they are a D3 school.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Calling someone a homer (or other names), if they've provided a logical basis for their opinions, is usually a sign you've lost the argument.

I am not trying to argue. But I call it as I see it. A "homer" is someone who shows blind loyalty to a team when ignoring all the shortcomings and faults.

The faults being we had a losing program last season, we were done at the half to a d3 program. And we don't have a proven shooter. You can say the future is bright all you want, but until I see the light I am going to be skeptical.

I don't want my post to be misunderstood. I have faith in the program, and I will continue to root for the players and coaches. Coaches generally have 3 years to prove their worth so I am not calling for anything drastic yet, but I do believe the leash continues to get shorter as time passes.

I think the expectation for Paulsen should be a NCAA tourney bid by the end of next season. If we are nowhere close to a bid next season then its time to reevaluate.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I am not trying to argue. But I call it as I see it. A "homer" is someone who shows blind loyalty to a team when ignoring all the shortcomings and faults.

The faults being we had a losing program last season, we were done at the half to a d3 program. And we don't have a proven shooter. You can say the future is bright all you want, but until I see the light I am going to be skeptical.

I don't want my post to be misunderstood. I have faith in the program, and I will continue to root for the players and coaches. Coaches generally have 3 years to prove their worth so I am not calling for anything drastic yet, but I do believe the leash continues to get shorter as time passes.

I think the expectation for Paulsen should be a NCAA tourney bid by the end of next season. If we are nowhere close to a bid next season then its time to reevaluate.

You are so far out of your depth here.

Thankfully, you are not in a position of decision-making authority within our athletic department.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Politics mostly. It may not matter to us but it matters to few- and it wouldn't be a good look.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
You are so far out of your depth here.

Thankfully, you are not in a position of decision-making authority within our athletic department.

You're just a homer too. How long are you willing to accept losing?

I know your arguments; we are young. Kinda true, 40% of our starters are Seniors.
and welcome to 2016, Freshman contribute in sports!

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023

I know your arguments; we are young. Kinda true, 40% of our starters are Seniors.
Your "3 year methodology" for evaluating a coach doesn't apply to Paulsen, granted the situation he took over. However, makes a lot more sense when applying it to Hewitt (unfortunately, the Admin waited an extra year before canning him). Hewitt walked in the door and inherited a solid team and program. He completely failed to a.) maintain the momentum L had achieved, b.) be the "excellent" recruiter he laid claim to be, c.) develop a winning team on/off the court.

Paulsen had to come in and try to fix that s*** storm. Expecting him to make the Tourney in year 3? After inheriting a program that lost just as much confidence and integrity as it did games? Dude, give me a break.

I feel like you're stuck in a time warp and are actually speaking as if it's 2012 or 2013. Give the guy a chance to fix the mess he didn't ask for or create.

OP
Herndon

Herndon

All-Conference

2015, actually. Our freshmen contributed last year, and considering Kier has contributed this year, I'm not sure I catch your point.

I think it's fair to say that we expect players to get better as they mature, and therefore we can probably expect to be a better team when the bulk of our roster is the same as it is now, only instead of freshmen and sophomores, they're juniors and seniors. Fair enough?