2022 Recruiting

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Been offering shooting guards the last few days for a spot in the 2022 class. Interesting.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Smart move IMO. Cooper and Hartwell can move on if they choose next year.
All of these SG offers are our Plans B through whatever since Fernandez looks like he’ll have his pick from about 100 different schools … it will be a major coup if KE lands him.

FreeGunston12

All-American
To clarify: If Hartwell chooses to remain at Mason for his 5th season of eligibility, he will not count against the 13-scholarship limit.
Knew that was the case for the potential super seniors this year, but I did not know that it extended to next year as well. Thanks for the info

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't believe this is correct. The exception to not count against the scholarship limit was made for this year's final class only.

I can't really find any language that says one way or another. The only thing I could find is those granting "super seniors" an extra year of eligibility for '21-'22 don't have to guarantee a scholarship to those athletes.

Might be a huge reason why some seniors decided to stay and some decided to go.

JPgmuswim

Starter
I can't really find any language that says one way or another. The only thing I could find is those granting "super seniors" an extra year of eligibility for '21-'22 don't have to guarantee a scholarship to those athletes.

Might be a huge reason why some seniors decided to stay and some decided to go.
I believe everyone gets an extra year acting as last year didn’t count. Which is why some players like Gadson just enrolled early and got started with the team and classes.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I believe everyone gets an extra year acting as last year didn’t count. Which is why some players like Gadson just enrolled early and got started with the team and classes.

The question, though, is whether those who stay for a fifth year beyond the seniors who would have exhausted their eligibility after the 20-21 season will cost against the roster limit after this year.

Right now those players will be:

22-23: Hartwell, Cooper*
23-24: Johnson, Gaines*, Oduro
24-25: Polite, Frazier, Henry

Will these guys get to stay for a fifth year without upsetting the roster cap or not?

(edit: *I think either way I'm pretty sure the transfers would count against the limit -- Cooper and Gaines in our case).

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I don't believe this is correct. The exception to not count against the scholarship limit was made for this year's final class only.
Based on further research, I believe that the NCAA has not yet made a decision regarding the exception to the scholarship limits for football and basketball beyond next season. I believe that the NCAA will continue to grant the exception for basketball as I stated, but I was wrong in implying that such a decision has been made beyond next season.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Don’t think it’s gonna matter because the upcoming season will be Cooper’s fifth and I highly doubt he’s gonna stay in school for 6 years when he can go overseas and start getting paid. And even if Hartwell wants a fifth year, he’ll be “encouraged” to go somewhere else to use it — his spot is gonna be spoken for by one of the 2022 targets.