2021 Recruiting

patriotchild

Starter
At least we’ll know he’s prone to being hurt ahead of time and not bank on him as a program savior. Could help to progress Odoro’s game too.

He15man

Starter

I like listening to interviews like this when trying to gauge what a transfer would bring to the table... In this case, most likely, a senior post player with a history of ACL problems probably won't be someone you'd expect to run your offense through. He'd be here for veteran leadership and molding young bigs on the roster, and maybe teaching them some footwork and moves along the way. And this interview shows me that he's a well spoken, good-hearted kid who values the team and its overall success. If we were to bring Dallas in, I'd really like us to use one of our other schollys on a true big (6'10-plus) who could be our future at the position and could learn from a guy with lots of Pac-12 experience.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I like listening to interviews like this when trying to gauge what a transfer would bring to the table... In this case, most likely, a senior post player with a history of ACL problems probably won't be someone you'd expect to run your offense through. He'd be here for veteran leadership and molding young bigs on the roster, and maybe teaching them some footwork and moves along the way. And this interview shows me that he's a well spoken, good-hearted kid who values the team and its overall success. If we were to bring Dallas in, I'd really like us to use one of our other schollys on a true big (6'10-plus) who could be our future at the position and could learn from a guy with lots of Pac-12 experience.

Did the interviewer really just say "Go find some grass" at the end of the interview? God I love Colorado. Looks like marijuana will be legal by this Summer in VA.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Rumors swirling that Davonte Gaines, Drew Pember, and Ques Glover could all join Desmond Oliver at ETSU. Gaines is a Buffalo native like Oliver, and Pember & Glover could stay close to their hometown.

ephoops

Starter
Did the interviewer really just say "Go find some grass" at the end of the interview? God I love Colorado. Looks like marijuana will be legal by this Summer in VA.

The interviewer is Bill Walton. Of course he's going to tell a Colorado Buffalo to "go find some grass" -- although Walton probably did not appreciate the double entendre when he said it.

ephoops

Starter
Rumors swirling that Davonte Gaines, Drew Pember, and Ques Glover could all join Desmond Oliver at ETSU. Gaines is a Buffalo native like Oliver, and Pember & Glover could stay close to their hometown.

Hmmmm... That would be a nice group of transfers for Oliver to get ETSU back on track.

Did Mason hire the wrong asst coach from Tennessee?? Just kidding...

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
It could be me and not being uber knowledgeable on how this process works - but it seems Coach E is moving with some swiftness. No?
I think the difference you are seeing is Coach English using his social media as part of the recruiting process. Paulsen's social media was almost non-existent and the staff seemed to keep targets hush hush so a lot of the time it may have seemed like not much was going on. Also eems like Kim is more hands on with recruiting than Dave was so far as well.

He15man

Starter
English cut his teeth as a P5 asst coach, so his recruiting pace and corresponding social media has a P5 feel to it. As I've said, I also follow Florida football and UF recruiting, and the way the coaches announce a new verbal commitment there is the same way English is now doing it here ... with a simple, standalone "and the crowd goes wild" image of EBA. I think THAT is probably the biggest difference between his style and our previous coaches - a much more engaging and modern social media strategy. I'm sure our previous coaches put out lots of offers to kids they liked, and at a similar pace, but we just didn't hear about it as much because those offers were to more "under the radar" players - not the universally rated 3 star-plus prospects or 4-star transfers. And I think the pace feels bit accelerated from English right now because we only have two guys committed for 2021 (guys that English might not want, TBH) and the transfer portal right now is ripe for the taking - and EVERY SINGLE D1 basketball coach is going to go hard after the top options. So if he wants to use the scholarships still available on guys he's comfortable with and fit his brand of basketball (vs. 2-star projects or complete unknowns), then he - like every other coach - better move quick on the best ones available. In other words, I think the portal is making everyone have to move a little quicker, and combine that with his social media strategy and it just feels that much more fast-paced.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It could be me and not being uber knowledgeable on how this process works - but it seems Coach E is moving with some swiftness. No?
It's a mixture of everything. He is moving with a swiftness / he is going after a lot of targets early on. It seems like that much more when you see him re-recruiting our own guys. It's also helpful the guys he's going after are guys that belong at our level, and we aren't competing with NOVA community college for basketball recruits. His social media is also on point, he does a great job keeping his message consistent and he is active and relatable across a broad spectrum. We have talked a lot about how relatable he is to players, but I have to imagine he is pretty relatable to some of these parents as well. If Kim English walked into your living room and said he wanted your son to play basketball for him, could you imagine saying no? That is a huge part of recruiting too.

Where as this program used to be a black hole where literally no information ever came out and fans were stuck guessing what was going on (or more realistically they just stopped caring, average fan doesn't want to hunt for information on the program, they want it spoon fed to them) Kim is acting like that "beacon of light" and is literally a 1st hand source for information on the program, and he puts it out on mediums that are easily accessible by the average fan and can be quickly broadcast to a larger audience (retweets, reposts) to gain a groundswell type momentum. It's super interesting to watch happen, and young coaches across the country ought to be taking notes on the English Method.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I think the difference you are seeing is Coach English using his social media as part of the recruiting process. Paulsen's social media was almost non-existent and the staff seemed to keep targets hush hush so a lot of the time it may have seemed like not much was going on. Also eems like Kim is more hands on with recruiting than Dave was so far as well.

That make sense. All of this seems more "open" as opposed to previous seasons.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Rasir Bolton, 6'3 Junior from Iowa State has entered the portal. Petersburg, VA native #804 and KE just followed him on twitter.

He led Iowa State in scoring at 15.5 a game. Needless to say, that'd be a hell of a pull.

Edit: Upon further research, I see that this is the guy who ultimately got Pat Chambers fired at Penn State.

Last edited:

He15man

Starter
Rasir Bolton, 6'3 Junior from Iowa State has entered the portal. Petersburg, VA native #804 and KE just followed him on twitter.

He led Iowa State in scoring at 15.5 a game. Needless to say, that'd be a hell of a pull.

Edit: Upon further research, I see that this is the guy who ultimately got Pat Chambers fired at Penn State.
I don't disagree. Dude looks like a scorer, but I'd still like to add another big body to the roster first vs. another guard.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't disagree. Dude looks like a scorer, but I'd still like to add another big body to the roster first vs. another guard.
Until Miller and/or Kolek announce they are staying, we need both. Bolton can really score it and would be a problem in the A-10 ... I wouldn’t be shocked to see vcu get involved because they recruited him hard out of HS

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Until Miller and/or Kolek announce they are staying, we need both. Bolton can really score it and would be a problem in the A-10 ... I wouldn’t be shocked to see vcu get involved because they recruited him hard out of HS
Any talent we can keep from going to vcu is pure joy!