2021 Coaching Carousel

KAOriginal

All-American

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Rizzotti was hired on April 15, 2016 as the 10th head coach in program history. In five years with GW, she compiled a 72-74 record, including a WNIT and NCAA Tournament appearance in her first two years at the university.

This is a tale of 2 women's basketball programs: GW just fired a coach with an NCAA tourney appearance, while Mason's women's program has never been to the NCAA tourney in its history.

https://gwhoops.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=799:

"Good afternoon,

I am writing to share that earlier this morning, I informed our women’s basketball coaching staff that they will not be returning. As you can imagine, these are always challenging conversations. Jen, Sully, G, Kevin and Christina have been so committed to making our program better. They have also extended well beyond the reach of basketball to make a massive impact in their Bigger Than Basketball campaign.

As a supporter of our program, you know that our women’s basketball program has been the most consistently successful program at GW. We have won 16 Atlantic 10 regular season championships, 7 tournament titles and participated in 18 NCAA Tournaments, including three trips to the Sweet Sixteen and one appearance in the Elite Eight. George Washington University is committed to returning the women’s basketball program to the top of the conference and I have already begun our national search to find the leader who will recruit outstanding student-athletes and coaches who are driven and able to compete at the highest level.

We are so proud of GW Women’s Basketball’s storied history. I look forward to conducting our search and introducing our next head coach later this spring.

Thank you for your continued support.

Always,
Tanya Vogel
Director of Athletics"

KAOriginal

All-American
George Washington University is committed to returning the women’s basketball program to the top of the conference and I have already begun our national search to find the leader who will recruit outstanding student-athletes and coaches who are driven and able to compete at the highest level.

Brad Edwards----the letter is essentially written for you. Just replace Washington with Mason and women's with men's and you are set.

Come on, don't make us hate you as much as we did Tom O'Conner.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Is Kathy McKay the only donor whose contribution is significant enough to influence a hiring/firing/retaining decision?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I say we go for something and see if UConn’s lead assistant (who is going to be coaching their first round game) would be down to coach here?

https://futureofworking.com/chris-dailey-uconn-salary/:

"Her salary is over 300,000 a year, which makes her one of the highest paid assistant coaches. Due to her high salary and job security, it is possible that Chris Dailey might never be a head coach. She most likely will spend her entire career content with being an assistant coach for one of the top women’s basketball programs in the country.

Turned Down Jobs
There are few assistant coaches in any sport that have turned down the number of head coaching jobs that Dailey has passed on over the years. Her name is always on the top of coaching candidates lists, but she never has any desire to step away from the University of Connecticut. There really has never been an offer that has caught her eye yet. She has learned to be happy with where she is and her current salary."

KAOriginal

All-American
I say we go for something and see if UConn’s lead assistant (who is going to be coaching their first round game) would be down to coach here?

Hmmm 35 years at UCONN.....probably could have already picked where she wanted to coach if she wanted......sounds like she inst interested in going anywhere.....

“I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older that there is nothing wrong with being happy where you are,” Dailey told the Associated Press in 2015. “And I’m happy.” CD’s relationship with Geno has always been more partner than employee. Her fingerprints are all over UConn’s decades-long dynasty and history will remember her as a great coach regardless of job title."