2020-2021 Schedule Thread

Dawgs99

Starter
I’m gonna attach this video and @Petey Buckets post to whatever letter I write to Brad regarding our coaching situation.

Petey perfectly highlighted what ails our program and this 4-minute video shows what it once was — even with dog crap Hewitt as coach, Larranaga’s players were good enough to stand toe-to-toe with a loaded vcu team that would beat our current squad by 50. What a ridiculous game that was.

We’re never gonna get back to that point under the current coach. It’s just like night and day.
Marquise and Otis were the closest things we had, but Marquise wasn't around long enough and Otis had a disappointing senior season. All of the other top 8 teams in the conference have at least one player that's a next level player who can just take over and we don't have a single one who can.

That team had Allen, Pearson, and Sherrod...all three of those players would be the best player on our current team (I would also take Mike Moe, Arledge, and even Johnny Williams in a second off that team and insert any of them right into the starting lineup).

Its funny and also sad that we are now in a much better basketball league and yet not one of our current players would crack the starting line up on that team. I mean would any of them even be in the top 8? Recruiting matters!

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I was already on the Fairfax County Parkway before I realized we won that game. We left a minute early to beat traffic thinking we had no chance in hell, and I decided to check the boards to read about the meltdown after the loss. I turned to my wife and said, "People are saying we won the game. How is that even possible?" I haven't left a close game early since that night.

You weren't the only fan that I watched leaving early. BTW, this was Jalen Jenkins only career 3-pointer.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I was already on the Fairfax County Parkway before I realized we won that game. We left a minute early to beat traffic thinking we had no chance in hell, and I decided to check the boards to read about the meltdown after the loss. I turned to my wife and said, "People are saying we won the game. How is that even possible?" I haven't left a close game early since that night.
If I recall correctly, I gave you a lot of crap for that. Back when I used to actually go to games, I always had an issue with people leaving games early. I used to take watching every minute of every Mason game so seriously that I even got into an argument with the manager at Brion's when he tried to change the channel before the end of the Mason game we were watching in the bar even though we were down by double digits.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If I recall correctly, I gave you a lot of crap for that.

I'm sure you did, but in my defense I also would leave a little early when we were up with under a minute to play. After that Jalen Jenkins game, I altered my approach. Since then, I would head toward the portal behind the band and watch the end from there.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Daniel Frank Retweeted

Richmond Basketball
@SpiderMBB

·
12m

Friday night's game vs Saint Louis is postponed. #OneRichmond

Men's Basketball Game vs Saint Louis Postponed - University of Richmond Athletics
** From the Atlantic 10 ** NEWPORT NEWS, Va. -- The Saint Louis at Richmond men's basketball game scheduled for Friday night at 6:30 pm ET on ESPN2 is postponed as a result of COVID-19 concerns...
richmondspiders.com

"NEWPORT NEWS, Va. -- The Saint Louis at Richmond men's basketball game scheduled for Friday night at 6:30 pm ET on ESPN2 is postponed as a result of COVID-19 concerns raised by the Saint Louis medical staff."

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Daniel Frank Retweeted

Richmond Basketball
@SpiderMBB

·
12m

Friday night's game vs Saint Louis is postponed. #OneRichmond

Men's Basketball Game vs Saint Louis Postponed - University of Richmond Athletics
** From the Atlantic 10 ** NEWPORT NEWS, Va. -- The Saint Louis at Richmond men's basketball game scheduled for Friday night at 6:30 pm ET on ESPN2 is postponed as a result of COVID-19 concerns...
richmondspiders.com

"NEWPORT NEWS, Va. -- The Saint Louis at Richmond men's basketball game scheduled for Friday night at 6:30 pm ET on ESPN2 is postponed as a result of COVID-19 concerns raised by the Saint Louis medical staff."
Ouch. Can't catch a break.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://richmond.com/sports/college...13dc8e3.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1:

"The University of Richmond’s game against No. 22 Saint Louis at the Robins Center Friday night was postponed, and the Saint Louis medical staff initiated the action.

The A-10 announced at 1:42 p.m. that the game was postponed 'as a result of COVID-19 concerns raised by the Saint Louis medical staff.' The Billikens were in Richmond, ready to play at 6:30 p.m., in a key A-10 game that was scheduled to be televised by ESPN2.

According to a SLU release on Friday afternoon, 'The Billikens are returning to St. Louis on the advice of their medical staff. SLU was prepared to play the game as scheduled, and is not in a position to comment on the concerns raised by its medical staff.'

Both teams were medically cleared to play as of Friday morning, according to John Hardt, UR’s vice president and director of athletics. The Times-Dispatch asked an A-10 spokesperson on Friday evening for a more detailed explanation of SLU's decision and he responded that the league release 'stands as is. No additional info.'

Hardt, in a Richmond release, said, 'We are extremely disappointed tonight's game between the Spiders and Saint Louis University was postponed. Our team was prepared to play and had successfully cleared all appropriate university, A-10, NCAA and Virginia Department of Health COVID-19 protocols.'

Asked for additional comment, Hardt referred to his statement."

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Cliffs Notes version: St. Louis didn't want to blow its #22 ranking by losing to Richmond, so they played the "COVID-19 concerns" card.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Its funny and also sad that we are now in a much better basketball league and yet not one of our current players would crack the starting line up on that team. I mean would any of them even be in the top 8? Recruiting matters!

Miller, AJ, and Greene would play ahead of Vaughans, Edwards, Gray, and Arledge/Williams. But yeah, tough to argue about the starting 5 (once Andre came back from suspension — Greene probably starts over Edwards early season).

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Cliffs Notes version: St. Louis didn't want to blow its #22 ranking by losing to Richmond, so they played the "COVID-19 concerns" card.

stu durando

@studurando

·
2m

Updated: SLU initiated postponement at Richmond; AD confident right decision was made https://stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billiken-beat/slu-ad-confident-right-decision-was-made-in-postponing-game-at-richmond/article_c4c729da-6796-57c0-8c32-0faa738d56c0.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share… via
@stltoday

Billikens' AD confident right decision was made in postponing game at Richmond
Contest is called off about five hours before it was supposed to begin.
stltoday.com

"St. Louis University’s initial concern about COVID-19 protocols in the Richmond basketball program came to light Thursday night after the team arrived at its hotel.

What transpired in the next 15 hours led the postponement of SLU’s game scheduled for Friday night in Richmond, Virginia, in a decision made by the basketball program’s medical team in St. Louis.

Athletics director Chris May said both programs agreed not to reveal details of the issue that SLU found troubling.

'When we arrived we received information related to COVID-19 protocols that raised concerns,' May said. 'We had further conversations (Friday) morning and met with our medical team, who advised us it was in our best interest for the team to not play. We’re confident the right decision was made.'

A meeting was held involving both ADs and Atlantic 10 Conference commissioner Bernadette McGlade before the postponement was announced about five hours before the game was to tip off."

Last edited:

Dawgs99

Starter
Miller, AJ, and Greene would play ahead of Vaughans, Edwards, Gray, and Arledge/Williams. But yeah, tough to argue about the starting 5 (once Andre came back from suspension — Greene probably starts over Edwards early season).

Arledge>AJ

Dawgs99

Starter
Yea I’m not sure that’s even relatively close. Arledge was a nice piece but super limited compared to AJ.

Looking at career stats they are comparable, both mediocre. I'm probably a little bitter about how AJ has played this year.

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://richmond.com/sports/college...cle_b1ae03fe-e8f5-5a34-8f9a-edfd03d7cdb5.html:

"With about a month remaining in the A-10 regular season, the league is close to determining how its tournament seeding will be handled with the 14 teams not finishing with the same number of conference games.

Because of COVID-related pauses and contact tracing, as of Monday Saint Louis had played one A-10 game, Rhode Island had played 11, and the other 12 teams were somewhere in between. The conference tournament will be held at the University of Richmond’s Robins Center and vcu’s Siegel Center March 10-14.

According to A-10 Commissioner Bernadette McGlade, the athletic directors from league schools have been meeting weekly to discuss a seeding resolution and may announce a formula later this week. She said members of the A-10 office are 'benchmarking a lot of the percentage-type statistical comparisons that can be implemented to be able to make any final decisions as far as where a team would be seeded.'

McGlade added that the league at this time intends to bring all 14 teams to the tournament, though there is a possibility that wouldn’t happen. If a team was unable to reach the NCAA’s 13-game threshold (12 against Division I opposition during the regular season and one league tournament game), and did not receive an NCAA waiver, it would not compete in the A-10 tournament because it would be ineligible for the NCAA tournament."

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
https://richmond.com/sports/college...cle_b1ae03fe-e8f5-5a34-8f9a-edfd03d7cdb5.html:

"With about a month remaining in the A-10 regular season, the league is close to determining how its tournament seeding will be handled with the 14 teams not finishing with the same number of conference games.

Because of COVID-related pauses and contact tracing, as of Monday Saint Louis had played one A-10 game, Rhode Island had played 11, and the other 12 teams were somewhere in between. The conference tournament will be held at the University of Richmond’s Robins Center and vcu’s Siegel Center March 10-14.

According to A-10 Commissioner Bernadette McGlade, the athletic directors from league schools have been meeting weekly to discuss a seeding resolution and may announce a formula later this week. She said members of the A-10 office are 'benchmarking a lot of the percentage-type statistical comparisons that can be implemented to be able to make any final decisions as far as where a team would be seeded.'

McGlade added that the league at this time intends to bring all 14 teams to the tournament, though there is a possibility that wouldn’t happen. If a team was unable to reach the NCAA’s 13-game threshold (12 against Division I opposition during the regular season and one league tournament game), and did not receive an NCAA waiver, it would not compete in the A-10 tournament because it would be ineligible for the NCAA tournament."
"If a team was unable to reach the NCAA’s 13-game threshold (12 against Division I opposition during the regular season and one league tournament game), and did not receive an NCAA waiver, it would not compete in the A-10 tournament because it would be ineligible for the NCAA tournament." This is just BS lol. no way they deny St Louis into the A-10 tournament if they would be under the NCAA's 13 game threshold. I am positive A-10 would use its might to make this a non issue for one of 4 teams that still have a chance to make the tournament.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
"If a team was unable to reach the NCAA’s 13-game threshold (12 against Division I opposition during the regular season and one league tournament game), and did not receive an NCAA waiver, it would not compete in the A-10 tournament because it would be ineligible for the NCAA tournament." This is just BS lol. no way they deny St Louis into the A-10 tournament if they would be under the NCAA's 13 game threshold. I am positive A-10 would use its might to make this a non issue for one of 4 teams that still have a chance to make the tournament.

"and did not receive an NCAA waiver" - At this time, I would expect SLU to receive a waiver if necessary.