2014-2015 schedule thread

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
...and destroy what took almost 10 years to build ...

And this is ultimately the saddest part of this whole deal.

Coach L and many assistant coaches worked their asses off to pull our program out of the abyss of the Westhead years, brought us back to respectability and then took us to the pinnacle of college basketball.

In just three seasons, Paul Hewitt and his assistants have destroyed everything they built.

All we have left is a Final Four banner that now serves IMHO as salt in a very painful wound.

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
What burns me up is that no one remembers 2011. The average person on the street knows us for 2006 but when I talk about our nova win to show we're not a 1 hit wonder? Blank stare....
And this is ultimately the saddest part of this whole deal.

Coach L and many assistant coaches worked their asses off to pull our program out of the abyss of the Westhead years, brought us back to respectability and then took us to the pinnacle of college basketball.

In just three seasons, Paul Hewitt and his assistants have destroyed everything they built.

All we have left is a Final Four banner that now serves IMHO as salt in a very painful wound.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
from a post I made on Feb 19:
I know a lot of this depends on who the coach is next year, but am curious what the schedule will look like:
Home vs American gets replaced with a home game vs ?? (guarantee game)
Away vs Lamar gets replaced with ??
Home vs N Iowa gets replaced with away vs N Iowa
Home vs St Francis gets replaced with a home game vs ?? (guarantee game)
Away vs Iona gets replaced with a home game vs Iona
Away vs Princeton gets replaced with a home game vs Princeton
Home vs URI gets replaced with ??
Home vs USF gets replaced with ??
BBT vs Oklahoma gets replaced with a away vs Oklahoma
Diamond Head Classic gets replaced with Puerto Rico Tip Off
Home vs Penn gets replaced with a road game at Penn (Palestra!!)
Away vs ODU gets replaced with home vs ODU

With road trips to N Iowa, Oklahoma and Penn along with home games vs Iona, Princeton and ODU, that leaves five open spots.

I'm not sure if Penn was a guarantee game or not, but since the Princeton series is, lets assume Penn is as well. As bad as we may be next year, I still will go to Philly to watch this team in the Palestra.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Princeton in Fairfax?
@ Penn (hopefully at the Palestra)?
@ American (I wouldn't be surprised if this was a home and home)?

Conference games (although this could change because of Davidson coming in, so I am looking at the games that were not home and homes this season):

vcu
@ St. Joe's
@ Dayton
@ St. Bonaventure
@ Richmond
Fordham
Rhode Island
La Salle

St. Louis, UMass, GW, Duquense were home and home's this season.

Conference games increases to 18. So, expect 5 home-and-home series next season.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
My understanding is that it's becoming an 8-team, multiple-day exempt event -- in which case we won't be in it, since we're doing the Puerto Rico tournament.

I would love not playing in the BB&T because we always play like dog shit in the BB&T

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
vs Iona
vs Princeton (?)
vs ODU

at Manhattan
at Northern Iowa
at Penn (?)
at Oklahoma (?)

Puerto Rico Tip-Off (3 games)

That leaves 2 spots, at least one of which will probably be a buy game. I also wouldn't be surprised to see JMU back on the schedule.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
vs Iona
vs Princeton (?)
vs ODU

at Manhattan
at Northern Iowa
at Penn (?)
at Oklahoma (?)

Puerto Rico Tip-Off (3 games)

That leaves 2 spots, at least one of which will probably be a buy game. I also wouldn't be surprised to see JMU back on the schedule.

Schools will line up for that buy game spot. A chance to humiliate an A-10 team on the road and get paid handsomely for it? Sign us up! :p:rolleyes:

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My understanding is that it's becoming an 8-team, multiple-day exempt event -- in which case we won't be in it, since we're doing the Puerto Rico tournament.
it will be an 8 team tourney with the multi-game exemption like all these other tourneys offer. ESPN is going to run it, like Puerto Rico, Disney, etc. The thought is to rotate a host school so UMD in yr 1, Gtown, in yr 2, GW in yr 3, Mason in yr 4, back to UMD in yr 5, etc, etc. We'll see if that actually happens, though. A rumor I heard is that Duke has committed to the event in 2016.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Next year we get better, or worse depending on how you look at it. 20 loses this year could become 22 next! With Paul in charge, who knows? We might get to 25!

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I dont give a shit who we play. since we dont know and wont know how to play as long as hewitt is here, who cares.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Conference games (although this could change because of Davidson coming in, so I am looking at the games that were not home and homes this season):

vcu
@ St. Joe's
@ Dayton
@ St. Bonaventure
@ Richmond
Fordham
Rhode Island
La Salle

St. Louis, UMass, GW, Duquense were home and home's this season.

With the addition of Davidson and the increase to the 18-game conference schedule (from 16 games this season), there should be 13 A10 opponents and 5 home-and-home series next season.

Other than local rival GW, who would you like to see Mason have a home-and-home series with next season? My preference would be Davidson, vcu, Richmond, & St. Joe's.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
With the addition of Davidson and the increase to the 18-game conference schedule (from 16 games this season), there should be 13 A10 opponents and 5 home-and-home series next season.

Other than local rival GW, who would you like to see Mason have a home-and-home series with next season? My preference would be Davidson, vcu, Richmond, & St. Joe's.

Certainly makes sense geographically. And a good group of schools.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer

vcu, Richmond and St Joe's were solo games last season, it would be interesting if they made those home and home's.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
vcu, Richmond and St Joe's were solo games last season, it would be interesting if they made those home and home's.
I wonder if they do the conference will wait another year before blowing up the home-and-home matchups. In theory, they'd want this year's solo games to remain solo next year so nobody gets screwed. But with adding Davidson (and assuming Saint Louis and Dayton aren't poached by the Big East), it may be hard to do and keep everyone happy.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Thats a good deal for both. Players get to play against experience and good coaching. Something Mason can't offer next year.