2013-2014 OOC Opponents Tracker

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Only reason he got that much time is bc of his sister. Guy is a terrible.coach but he is a touch better than the hack we have.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Only reason he got that much time is bc of his sister. Guy is a terrible.coach but he is a touch better than the hack we have.

No, he's not.

Say what you want about Hewitt -- I'm certainly not going to defend him -- but you don't get to the national championship game by accident.

Hewitt's resume sparkles compared to Robinson's.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Sure seems like an accident. Has a losing conf record in last 11 of 14 seasons. Two of the wining seasons were his first at Mason with players he didnt know.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No, he's not.

Say what you want about Hewitt -- I'm certainly not going to defend him -- but you don't get to the national championship game by accident.

Hewitt's resume sparkles compared to Robinson's.

Agreed. Robinson's teams haven't even made an NIT let alone an NCAA. One wonders what Oregon State even saw in him coming out of Brown with a 30-28 record.

Hewitt hasn't had much success here, but I don't think he's as terrible as some on here portray him to be. He has certainly had some challenges, some in his control, some out of his control, but I would never lump Hewitt in with Robinson.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Oh look...jbiggs and gmutom are only allowed to state facts on hewitt.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Oh look...jbiggs and gmutom are only allowed to state facts on hewitt.

We get it, he sucks and probably deserves to be fired. But most people still come here to talk hoops, and you're like the kid in the class with ADD that derails every discussion. Just let us have one thread that you don't find the need to sabotage.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Sorry Tom. You are better person than me. I can't get over how bad our program has become.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Sorry Tom. You are better person than me. I can't get over how bad our program has become.

Hey, at least you don't have to sit through every home game in person. Consider yourself lucky. Listen, nobody is claiming the program or Hewitt are great or even good at this point, but that doesn't mean we can discuss the team without every thread being doom and gloom.

In fact, I like a lot of the players we have coming in, which should at least make us fun to watch even if we are rebuilding (or overhauing or whatever it is we're doing). I bet a green team of Jackson, Mayimba, Lockett, Porter and Thompson could give our potential starting lineup of Moore, Holloway, Jenkins, Royal and Copes a good fight.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think Mayimba, and Lockett will bring much needed toughness. Jackson provides alot of size advantages if he can play PG some. Can't wait to see the 7ft giant dominate the A10!

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I think Mayimba, and Lockett will bring much needed toughness. Jackson provides alot of size advantages if he can play PG some. Can't wait to see the 7ft giant dominate the A10!
Are you saying Thompson will be a match-up problem for other A-10 teams?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
He certainly can be with that size. It's up to the coaches to teach him some additional skills. It's known he's a hard worker so he should be an easy kid to teach a few post moves to.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Are you saying Thompson will be a match-up problem for other A-10 teams?

If Thompson can give us defense anywhere close to what that big-a** Ndoye guy plays for St. Bona, we should be quite pleased.

As it turns out, a 7-footer is quite difficult to score over when he raises his hands. It seemed like Ndoye blocked 15 shots when they kicked our asses in Fairfax last season.

We need him to be big and defend the rim. Any offense we get from him will be icing on the proverbial cake.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If Thompson can give us defense anywhere close to what that big-a** Ndoye guy plays for St. Bona, we should be quite pleased.

As it turns out, a 7-footer is quite difficult to score over when he raises his hands. It seemed like Ndoye blocked 15 shots when they kicked our asses in Fairfax last season.

We need him to be big and defend the rim. Any offense we get from him will be icing on the proverbial cake.

Would love to see him taking up a ton of space inside and ripping down defensive rebounds too. Way too often we gave up second chance points because a, our bigs couldn't hang onto the ball or, b, our guards didn't box out, or c, both.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I know we've been on Thompson for a long while, so nice to see us land him. While I believe he'll be able to help a lot, I also envision lots of occasions where his man sets a high screen and our switch happy defense suddenly has him on the perimeter trying to stay in front of a guard with MM or PH getting posted up down low by a big. I suppose that defense will work better when almost everyone on the court is 6'5" or taller, but with our small PG's and PH teams will still be able to easily create mismatches.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I know we've been on Thompson for a long while, so nice to see us land him. While I believe he'll be able to help a lot, I also envision lots of occasions where his man sets a high screen and our switch happy defense suddenly has him on the perimeter trying to stay in front of a guard with MM or PH getting posted up down low by a big. I suppose that defense will work better when almost everyone on the court is 6'5" or taller, but with our small PG's and PH teams will still be able to easily create mismatches.

I agree. What ever happened to not switching and playing tough nosed defense. We haven't been guarding well in the past several years, maybe its b/c of all the switching?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I was surprised when watching the NCAAT how many coaches have their players switch on picks. I would think it would be easier to fight through screens and stay with your man to avoid mismatches, but switching is much more common than I thought. I just don't get it. It might help at the moment of the pick to ensure both players are covered, but it always seems to lead to an advantage for the opponent later in the possession unless the defenders find a way to switch back.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I saw that too. I think most of them did a good job recovering off the switch back to their man. It seems like alot more risk involved vs getting help and stay ing with original assignment. I prefer the latter b/c depending on the angle a big takes he can seal a guard for an easy score. I also think not switching allows for better focus and for picking up tendencies of the guy you are guarding. OR they just want to play like the NBA does.