2013-14 RTC Conference Preview

JBiggs

Starter
Predicted Order of Finish

Rankings from the conference coaches’ Media Day Poll are in square brackets to the right of the projected conference record.

1. Virginia Commonwealth (13-3) [#1]
  2. Saint Louis (12-4) [#2]
  3. La Salle (12-4) [#3]
  4. Massachusetts (11-5) [#4]
  5. George Washington (10-6) [#10]
  6. Richmond (9-7) [#6]
  7. George Mason (9-7) [#8]
  8. Dayton (7-9) [$7]
  9. Rhode Island (7-9) [#9]
  10. St. Joseph’s (6-10) [#5]
  11. Fordham (4-12) [#11]
  12. St. Bonaventure (3-13) [#12]
  13. Duquesne (1-15) [#13]

George Mason (NIT/CBI) – Coach Paul Hewitt’s strong suit was always recruiting, his entering classes at Georgia Tech were routinely rated in the top 10 annually and he has recruited well for the Patriots in his two years at the Fairfax, Virginia school. Hewitt will have to step up his recruiting yet again as the Patriots move up to the A10 from the CAA. Hewitt returns five starters on a senior-laden squad. The Patriots return 84% of the minutes, 87% of the points and 86% of the rebounds. Sherrod Wright should find his way onto a number of All-Conference First Team ballots by season’s end and Hewitt’s squad should end up north of 0.500 in conference play, the schedule makers handed GMU George Washington, Massachusetts, St. Louis and Duquesne as the Patriots’ home-away opponents (they should go no worse than 3-5, maybe 4-4 or 5-3), and home games with potential rivals Saint Joseph’s, Dayton and Richmond (3-0?) and finally road games with Fordham and Rhode Island (2-0? 1-1?). Then throw in the Bonnies at home February 15. - See more at: http://rushthecourt.net/2013/11/05/...preview-the-atlantic-10/#sthash.Vf5mRz0Z.dpuf

More here: http://rushthecourt.net/2013/11/05/2013-14-rtc-conference-preview-the-atlantic-10/

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I thought it was interesting that they picked GW 5th. I haven't seen them predicted that high (I don't think).

I'm surprised they predicted Mason to go CBI, that would be a pretty low bar for such a senior laden group.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Sometimes there just aren't a lot of at-large NIT bids to go around, so that's part of the problem. It all depends on how many regular season champions don't win their conference tournament. Anything less than an NIT berth would definitely be disappointing, but the NIT bubble is very hard to predict in advance.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Sometimes there just aren't a lot of at-large NIT bids to go around, so that's part of the problem. It all depends on how many regular season champions don't win their conference tournament. Anything less than an NIT berth would definitely be disappointing, but the NIT bubble is very hard to predict in advance.

I understand that but with the better league, I would fully expect that Mason gets considered and in should they warrant it and be "less" off the bubble. 22 wins in the A-10 would probably get them in, whereas 22 wins in the CAA would put them on that bubble. Merely my opinion and figurative.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
22 wins in the A-10 would probably get them in, whereas 22 wins in the CAA would put them on that bubble.
Oh, I agree. I just think that prediction might be more reflective of the NIT's uncertainties than anything negative about Mason. I took a quick look back, the A-10 has gotten anywhere between 0 (!!!) and 4 teams into the NIT in recent years.

This is going to be a really long week. Haha.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
St. Louis won reg season and tourney championships and have a senior laden team returning. They should be #1, not the arts school of richmond who lost 6 players to graduation and/or tranfers. Including their PG and Shooting Guard who were responsible for a ton of points. Sure they have guys to fill those voids but are unproven to date. Media is blowin them up bc of their gimmick defense. What happened when they played st louis or any team with good guards? St louis swept them. Michigan bitch slapped them.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
While I agree with St. Louis being #1, having vcu #1 is a blessing in disguise. Their A-10 ranking along with their generous AP and Coaches Poll rankings definitely puts the pressure for their team to do well this year. Staying a top 25 team is tough when all your opposing teams play extra hype come game time. It's always fun to beat a ranked team.

For me, I want vcu to be ranked as high as possible early on. That way their band wagon safety school fans can feel miserable when or if they start losing. I'm really hoping they're overrated.

OP
JBiggs

JBiggs

Starter
2013-14 Patriotvision Basketball Preview with Gobo narrating and interview tidbits with Coach Hewitt, J2, and BA.

http://gomason.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=3094504

As I suspected, Jalen Jenkins will be starting out playing at the 4 (after some confusion when trying to bounce between the 3 and 4 in practices). And then will try to transition to being a two-position player later on.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Many thanks for sharing the link. Might have missed it otherwise. I am getting excited. Loved hearing that team unity is better. Bring it on......