Women's Basketball

Pablo

Hall of Famer
For games through 12/23/14, Mason (8-4) is 28th in D-I in scoring offense (78.2 ppg) & 17th in defensive rebounds per game (31.0);

Taylor Brown is 6th in D-I in points per game (24.3); and

Sandra Ngoie is 14th in 3-pt. FG's per game (3.08).

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://www.gomason.com/ViewArticle....90&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=25200&ATCLID=209825090

Redshirt junior Taylor Brown registered her second double-double of the season as George Mason women’s basketball fell 72-70 at Towson Sunday in the Patriots final non-conference game of the season.

Brown earned her third career double-double behind 25 points and 10 rebounds and classmate Jasmine Jackson added a career-high 20 points, hitting seven of eight from the free throw line but it was freshman Qierra Murray who fueled the Patriots four minute 21-11 run to close the game. The Baltimore native hit three late threes, including a half-court buzzer beater, on her way to 11 points.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://newsdesk.gmu.edu/2015/01/mason-junior-excels-off-court/

George Mason University junior and nationally ranked women’s collegiate basketball star Taylor Brown was only 10 years old when she ran her first basketball camp in her hometown of Bowie, Md. The young entrepreneur didn’t play around.

“I had them doing layups, ball handling drills, and I even had my own clipboard,” she says. “I even gave each of the kids T-shirts.”

Now Brown has taken her love of sport and combined it with her interest in management, majoring in sport management in the College of Education and Human Development’s School of Recreation, Health, and Tourism—so someday she can run a camp again, open her own sports complex and a videography business, and play professional basketball.

In her senior year at her Maryland high school, Brown was named the 2011 Washington Post Player of the Year. She attended Georgetown University for a year but left in 2012 after a coaching change.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
B7QL6dlIAAA5vyq.jpg

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://www.gomason.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=25200&ATCLID=209890071

George Mason women’s basketball (13-12, 5-7 Atlantic 10) hit 50 percent (19-38) from the field including 9-18 from beyond the arc in the first half while holding the Rams (14-11, 5-7 A-10) to just 10 percent (1-10) from three and 28.6 percent (8-28) from the field. Ngoie knocked down 16 points leading Mason to a 51-24 lead at the break.

“Tremendous first half,” Milleson said. “I think we really showed what we’re capable of on both ends of the floor.”

The game started much closer as the score would be tied five times over the first seven minutes of play before a three from freshman Qierra Murray would ignite the Patriots offense. The Patriots would outscore vcu 39-12 over the final 13 minutes of the half with eight of 10 Patriots registering at least two points, including eight points from Murray and 10 from Brown. Murray ended the game with a career-high 12 points while Brown finished with 20.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://www.gomason.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209929230&DB_OEM_ID=25200

Q&A with A-10 Legend: Jen Derevjanik

What does this recognition mean to you? The legends award is special to me because it is a chance to represent George Mason University. Also, I get to be recognized with other women who have outstanding accomplishments.
What is your best non-basketball memory from your time at Mason? The best non-athletic memory at George Mason is extremely hard to recall because I have so many great memories with the five girls in my class who were on my team. We spent so much time together and I truly believe that is what helped us be so successful on the court. All five girls remain my friends and one is my best friend. I am the God Mother of her daughter.

Being a student-athlete has changed in a lot of was in a short amount of time, what are some of the biggest changes you’ve noticed? Being a student athlete has changed over the years but also some things have stayed the same. The biggest changes I see at George Mason now is their schedule and amount of time on the road. While I was attending GMU most of our opponents were a short distance away. Now they spend more time on the road, which is extremely hard when needing to stay focused on schoolwork. I still see the same dedication and hard work from all student athletes that are successful on and off the court.