Where Are They Now?

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VqGGle5rtE

"Russini, a walk-on soccer player who became a scholarship athlete and starter, began interning with the Washington Wizards and as a sideline reporter on the Colonial Athletic Association for Comcast SportsNet. She also got a little help practicing her news skills from her teammates.

'They’d let me interview them on the bus to games,' Russini said. 'And they would write letters to stations, telling them that they should put me on the air.'”

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"James Johnson was appointed to the Director of High School Relations role in the summer of 2023. Johnson returns to Blacksburg after serving as the Hokies’ head men’s basketball coach from 2012 to 2014."

KAOriginal

All-American
Very few people beyond the folks here, would understand the significance of this photo.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221-050508.png
    Screenshot_20231221-050508.png
    921.8 KB · Views: 157
OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

343540509_193487623518156_4548838600576637037_n.jpg

"EDENS held a community plaza groundbreaking event at Burtonsville Crossing on Friday, April 28. Among those in attendance were County Executive Marc Elrich, Council President Evan Glass, District 5 Councilmember Kristen Mink, and former NBA player Jason Miskiri. Miskiri is part of a group that will be opening Domain Fitness & Performance, a new fitness center that has signed on to open in the shopping center and will be located adjacent to Sprouts. Miskiri also owns several restaurants in Silver Spring, including the Angry Jerk, The Breakfast Club, and Society Restaurant & Lounge."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"How TKO Miller connected with TKO Kolek​

TKO Miller has a few employees who are MU graduates, so they started asking around about who to contact about an NIL deal. They landed on Danielle Josetti, the school's executive associate athletic director for compliance, marketing and sales.

Per NCAA rules, schools can't solicit NIL deals but can tell interested parties about who is available and gauge the interest of individuals. MU has its own restrictions for deals if companies don't align with the school's ideals, such as tobacco companies, though student-athletes can have alcohol-related endorsements if they are 21 years old. No issues have cropped up yet."

"There weren't an overwhelming number of people calling Josetti in the fall and early winter, but business interest picked up in February as the Golden Eagles established themselves as a top 10 team.

When TKO Miller office manager Katie Yde left a message, Josetti knew it was the perfect NIL deal.

'When I called her back, she brought up Tyler,' Josetti said. 'I said I think that would be great. He'll be great.'

Making the deal happen​

Oleszczuk got Kolek's phone number from Josetti. The deal came together quickly.

'I started out with "Hey Tyler, your old coach was my boyhood friend because I grew up with (Wausau native) Dave Paulsen, who coached him at (George) Mason," Oleszczuk said. 'And so it broke the ice a little bit and we said, hey, do you want to do this and he said "Yeah, it sounds fun."'

"Student-athletes must report every deal to their schools. Oleszczuk, a former practicing lawyer, drew up a simple agreement."

"Inspiration from 'This Is SportsCenter' commercials​

TKO Miller does its own commercials, so Oleszczuk and Co. started brainstorming ideas. An employee suggested doing something like the 'This Is SportsCenter’ commercials where athletes were shown doing mundane tasks around the ESPN offices."

"Kolek, who has taken some acting classes at MU, knocked out his three commercials in just over a hour. He tosses water bottles behind his back and shoots paper in wastebaskets. TKO Miller's Yde shot and edited the videos on her phone.

'I’m open for everything,' Kolek said. 'I love doing those little stuff like that. That stuff is fun to me. Meeting new people, interacting, just getting my name out there with a different crowd.

'People come up to me and are like "Oh, I’ve seen your commercials." Those corny commercials, they mean something to people and they mean something to me. It’s just fun for everybody.”

It was just what Oleszczuk was looking for in the deal."

"The future of NIL deals for MU athletes​

Kolek is one of the best players in college basketball, the Big East player of the year and an All-American. He's also pretty savvy when it comes to NIL deals.

'Not many guys still realize how much money there is to be had out there,' Kolek said.'"And I don't think people are taking full advantage. Even myself, I'm not taking full advantage and I'm asking questions. I'm trying to figure it out.'

He's done small deals like getting $500 to show up at a local restaurant and take pictures. He's done more ambitious ventures like a clothing line where you can buy shirts that feature a profane, off-hand remark he made before last season.

It can be a lot to balance business dealings with the demands of being an elite college athlete. So after discussing things with MU head coach Shaka Smart and his family, Kolek decided last week to sign with an NIL agent from Priority Sports, which is allowed by the NCAA.

'It’s kind of off my plate and I don’t have to be the one thinking about it,' Kolek said. 'They can just come to me with whatever they get or whatever they think works for me.'

Kolek cited a recent deal as to why having an agent would help an athlete.

'Nobody really knows what the market is,' Kolek said. 'That’s why you hire the agents. The trading card deal, say for example, they’re giving me $2 per signature and I got 5,000 signatures to do, per se, I wouldn’t know if that’s good or not. But my agents have done 25 other trading card deals, so they would know.'

Most high-major college athletes make money through collectives, and Kolek also works with the Be The Difference NIL group that sets up MU athletes with community groups.

Since athletes can also get deals on their own − and Josetti already had enough work with her usual duties − MU hired former Golden Eagles women's soccer player Madison Dunker in late March as a general manager of its NIL program run through Altius Sports Partners."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Lysander Rehnstrom was to trigger the inbounds play against the Boston press. His low pass went through the legs of Austin Inge underneath the Boston basket. Anthony Morales picked up the loose ball and tried a shot while standing underneath the rim. Rehnstrom disturbed the attempt just enough for Morales to miss it, with Rehnstrom then grabbing the errant shot and being fouled with 1.4 seconds remaining. He marched to the other end of the court and made the first shot but missed the second. Morales let the ball bounce in the middle of the free throw lane until he could get a good handle on it, then fired it toward the basket. His effort fell short as the buzzer sounded."

psyclone

Hall of Famer

"Lysander Rehnstrom was to trigger the inbounds play against the Boston press. His low pass went through the legs of Austin Inge underneath the Boston basket. Anthony Morales picked up the loose ball and tried a shot while standing underneath the rim. Rehnstrom disturbed the attempt just enough for Morales to miss it, with Rehnstrom then grabbing the errant shot and being fouled with 1.4 seconds remaining. He marched to the other end of the court and made the first shot but missed the second. Morales let the ball bounce in the middle of the free throw lane until he could get a good handle on it, then fired it toward the basket. His effort fell short as the buzzer sounded."
"Lysander, we hardly knew ye! "

Had to google him to discover his connection to Mason.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Happy for him! There's been a lot of kids who transfer out of the Naval Academy for various reasons, but I think it's pretty awesome that he was able to transfer in to one of the top military schools in the country (probably the best, no offense to Army and Air Force) and get playing time and hopefully a degree and a commission!

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Screen_Shot_2024-01-11_at_9.29.00_AM.png

" Birthplace Of A Star In the Making. It all started here.

Jordan Miller became a sensation during his three seasons in Fairfax. Now, he’s lighting up the G-League and turning heads of NBA execs.

Miller, who signed with the Clippers this past summer, is currently playing on a two-way contract with the Ontario Clippers, LA’s G-League squad.

In six games this year, the former Patriot is averaging 28.5 points, 8.7 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game. He has scored 30+ points in three of those six contests."

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Happy for him! There's been a lot of kids who transfer out of the Naval Academy for various reasons, but I think it's pretty awesome that he was able to transfer in to one of the top military schools in the country (probably the best, no offense to Army and Air Force) and get playing time and hopefully a degree and a commission!

Awesome to see him doing well. Can't blame him for leaving to get a free education at a top institution, playing time, and a guaranteed career upon graduation. Cool fact about Lysander... he grew up rooting for Mason. Was even a court sweeper under the the hoop during timeouts back when we used to have kids do it. His dream was to play for Mason and he accomplished it.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

resize

LUTE OLSON AWARD MID-SEASON WATCH LIST

Johni Broome6-10Auburn
L.J. Cryer6-1Houston
RJ Davis6-0North Carolina
Hunter Dickinson7-2Kansas
Zach Edey7-4Purdue
Terrence Edwards Jr.6-6James Madison
Kyle Filipowski7-0Duke
Tyon Grant-Foster6-7Grand Canyon
PJ Hall6-10Clemson
Meechie Johnson6-2South Carolina
Xavier Johnson6-1Southern Illinois
David Jones6-6Memphis
Jaedon LeDee6-9San Diego State
Ryan Kalkbrenner7-1Creighton
Dalton Knecht6-6Tennessee
Tyler Kolek6-3Marquette
Xaivian Lee6-3Princeton
Caleb Love6-4Arizona
Kevin McCullar6-7Kansas
Tristen Newton6-5UConn
Great Osobor6-8Utah State
Jahvon Quinerly6-1Memphis
Antonio Reeves6-6Kentucky
Baylor Scheierman6-7Creighton
Jamal Shead6-1Houston
Isaiah Stevens6-0Colorado State
AJ Storr6-7Wisconsin
Wade Taylor IV6-0Texas A&M
Ja'Kobe Walter6-5Baylor
Shahada Wells6-0McNeese

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"16. Marquette Golden Eagles (11-5)
Previous ranking:
This week: vs. Villanova (Monday), at St. John's (Saturday)

The injury issues are piling up for Marquette, which will be without Chase Ross for a couple more weeks and lost Sean Jones for the season after he tore an ACL in the home loss to Butler. The Golden Eagles are now just 6-5 in their past 11 games and Tyler Kolek is struggling. The preseason All-American has a combined seven points on 2-for-19 shooting in his past two games. This week's games are difficult bounce-back spots."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"FAIRFAX, Va. - George Mason University women's basketball and George Mason athletics is recognizing and celebrating 50 years of women's basketball during the 2023-24 season, featuring an alum who played in some of the first seasons of Division I basketball at Mason, Tracy Lyle Harding ('91)."

"Harding played for George Mason for three seasons beginning in 1987. Although her playing career was cut short because of injuries, the self-proclaimed basketball junkie has been a part of coaching the sport she loves for 20 years. Harding is in her fourth season as the head coach of Harrisonburg High School in the Shenandoah Valley. The native of Clintwood, Virginia won a high school state title as a player for the Greenwave team, and twice as an assistant coach at East Rockingham when the Eagles captured state titles in 2012 and 2013. "

Last edited:

psyclone

Hall of Famer

"FAIRFAX, Va. - George Mason University women's basketball and George Mason athletics is recognizing and celebrating 50 years of women's basketball during the 2023-24 season, featuring an alum who played in some of the first seasons of Division I basketball at Mason, Tracy Lyle Harding (91')."

"Harding played for George Mason for three seasons beginning in 1987. Although her playing career was cut short because of injuries, the self-proclaimed basketball junkie has been a part of coaching the sport she loves for 20 years. Harding is in her fourth season as the head coach of Harrisonburg High School in the Shenandoah Valley. The native of Clintwood, Virginia won a high school state title as a player for the Greenwave team, and twice as an assistant coach at East Rockingham when the Eagles captured state titles in 2012 and 2013. "
Hard to forget someone who was 91' (feet!!).

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Currently watching Otis Frazier III and UTEP play a barnburner against Western Kentucky on ESPN +.