When Should Marquise Moore Become the Starting PG?

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
You're right that we can't afford to do so, but Hewitt obviously wasn't happy with the way Sherrod played against Oklahoma given that he was on the bench at the end (unless it was an injury). Maybe it would send an even bigger message to not start him in Haawii, because Sherrod needs to realize we can't win a game in which he only scores 7 points.

Personally I'd like to see the team stop trying to put Sherrod in the limelight and move Allen in there instead. Sherrod clearly doesn't thrive in a leadership role and played his best basketball when he could take a back seat to someone else on the team. Kid has great talent but I don't think he should be the 'face' of the team, if that makes sense. He'll still lead in points I'm just not sure if he wants all the pressure.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Valid point. Maybe Sherrod needs to come off the bench since he seems to get off to slow starts every game. Just let him come in at the 4 minute mark and play the rest of the game.

You wouldn't need to be considering this now if Hewitt would of held him accountible for shitty play from the start of games LAST YEAR. Sit on the bench til half time. Start the half, still shitty??, sit again for rest of game. Same pattern until he wakes up and brings it every game for 40 mins or someone else steps up and takes his spot. I guess it can still be done.

And why does Wright always know what to say in the press conference but can't make it happen on the court? Sound like Hewitt much? Yep.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
And why does Wright always know what to say in the press conference but can't make it happen on the court? Sound like Hewitt much? Yep.

This made me laugh. Every player in the history of press conferences explains what went wrong or what they should have done better. Just because they acknowledge it doesn't mean they are able to rectify it the next game or even that season. If it was that easy, they wouldn't be making those mistakes in the first place.

Sherrod is what he is at this point, which is a great scorer when he wants to be. People can justifiably argue the team merits of Hewitt's one-on-one offensive philosophy, but the reality is a player like Sherrod should easily average 20 points in this system (half of which should be at the line). Unfortunately, his lackluster defense and turnovers usually negate a lot of the points he does score.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately, his lackluster defense and turnovers usually negate a lot of the points he does score.

FWIW, Sherrod leads the team with steals (12), while Holloway is second with 8. I really believe that this team could be effective in the full-court press with the right lineup on the court.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Is there anyone else who's impressed with Marquise's shot blocking ability (5 blocked shots in 8 games)? Only Jalen Jenkins (10), Erik Copes (7), & Johnny Williams (7) have more blocks this season than Marquise. The following compares Marquise's career blocked shots per game with other current perimeter players:

Marquise Moore: 0.625 (5 in 8 games)
Sherrod Wright: 0.257 (29 in 113 games)
Bryon Allen: 0.083 (9 in 108 games)
Vaughn Gray: 0.034 (2 in 58 games)
Patrick Holloway: 0.000 (0 in 50 games)
Corey Edwards: 0.000 (0 in 81 games)

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Is there anyone else who's impressed with Marquise's shot blocking ability (5 blocked shots in 8 games)? Only Jalen Jenkins (10), Erik Copes (7), & Johnny Williams (7) have more blocks this season than Marquise. The following compares Marquise's career blocked shots per game with other current perimeter players:

Marquise Moore: 0.625 (5 in 8 games)
Sherrod Wright: 0.257 (29 in 113 games)
Bryon Allen: 0.083 (9 in 108 games)
Vaughn Gray: 0.034 (2 in 58 games)
Patrick Holloway: 0.000 (0 in 50 games)
Corey Edwards: 0.000 (0 in 81 games)

Nice find Pablo! I hadn't noticed that aspect of his game to tell you the truth. It's not something you expect from a pg. Marquise does show a lot of promise--hoping that we start to see significant improvement in the assists category.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
With 3 blocked shots in the loss to UMass, Marquise now has 11 blocked shots in 13 games. This is the most blocked shots by a Mason guard since redshirt senior John Vaughan had 15 (in 31 games) during the 2008-09 season.

Marquise is currently tied with Erik Copes & Johnny Williams for 2nd on the team in blocked shots, 3 behind team leader Jalen Jenkins.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
With 3 blocked shots in the loss to UMass, Marquise now has 11 blocked shots in 13 games. This is the most blocked shots by a Mason guard since redshirt senior John Vaughan had 15 (in 31 games) during the 2008-09 season.

Marquise is currently tied with Erik Copes & Johnny Williams for 2nd on the team in blocked shots, 3 behind team leader Jalen Jenkins.

If a freshman PG winds up leading our team in blocks, I'm not gonna know whether to laugh or cry.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Marquise had a career-high 7 assists for the second consecutive game.

I hope he spends all summer with someone who can fix his jump shot, because if he can develop even a pullup 15-18 footer he missed at the end of regulation by next season he's going to be pretty much unguardable, even if they sag off him.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If a freshman PG winds up leading our team in blocks, I'm not gonna know whether to laugh or cry.

I think it has to do with his abilities - like someone said he locks down his jumper he will be tough to guard. He needs to start now to get the experience on the ground. Also start Allen in ahead of SW>

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think it has to do with his abilities - like someone said he locks down his jumper he will be tough to guard. He needs to start now to get the experience on the ground. Also start Allen in ahead of SW>

You mean Holloway ahead of SW?

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
With a blocked shot in the 69-60 victory over Richmond, freshman PG Marquise Moore is currently tied for 3rd on the Patriots with redshirt senior forward Johnny Williams (14). The only other Mason perimeter player with more than 2 blocked shots is Sherrod Wright (5).