Welcome Rich Barron

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Ojiako is plenty big. What we need to happen between now and next season is for him to develop his skills so he’s ready to take over at the 5 without our production from that spot falling off the face of the earth.
To be clear, I'm just thinking about depth for the future. Our current guys could well be sufficient for 2023-24. So maybe we wait until the 2024 class to land a big.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ojiako is plenty big. What we need to happen between now and next season is for him to develop his skills so he’s ready to take over at the 5 without our production from that spot falling off the face of the earth.

Could still use a big in the 23 class. After the 23-24 season (unless Henry takes his COVID season), you are left with Peter Oduro as the only big on the roster. Dangerous to expect to snag a transfer in 24.

Junkees9

Sixth Man
I admit I have never seen Ojiako play, other than a few short video clips, but he'd have to be awfully good next year to come close to Josh's level of play. I agree we need to find another big man. To me that would most likely be accomplished through the transfer portal.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I admit I have never seen Ojiako play, other than a few short video clips, but he'd have to be awfully good next year to come close to Josh's level of play. I agree we need to find another big man. To me that would most likely be accomplished through the transfer portal.

Or with the shooters we’ve got coming in in ‘22 and ‘23 we transition to a spread the floor perimeter oriented offense and Ojiako plays a Shevon Thompson-like role as rim protector/clean up man around the rim (Henry is also of this ilk). Seems like thats what English is building.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I watch a lot of VT games and Ojiako is very limited offensively and defensively, he will rebound though. He couldn't develop under Mike Young and never got any playing time and was recruited over. ACC bigs just ate him up and were too fast for him, especially after his knee injury in 2020.

If Henry can develop and take a step forward this year he would most likely start next year at the 5.

We absolutely need to get a big man via transfer portal or recruiting. We are going after 2 6-10 guys and a handful of 6'8 guys for PF.

Last edited:

JPgmuswim

Starter
I watch a lot of VT games and Ojiako is very limited offensively and defensively, he will rebound though. He couldn't develop under Mike Young and never got any playing time and was recruited over. ACC bigs just ate him up and were too fast for him, especially after his knee injury in 2020.

If Henry can develop and take a step forward this year he would most likely start next year at the 5.

We absolutely need to get a big man via transfer portal or recruiting. We are going after 2 6-10 guys and a handful of 6'8 guys for PF.

Until that video came out yesterday I didn’t realize that he’s only been playing basketball 5 years. Hopefully the off-season is helping.

welcome Rich! this is a huge signing for us because he brings some unquestioned size at the guard position. Kim and Handy the strength and conditioning coach will trim down his body fat and get him into great shape.

I don't think this was an "out of the blue" commitment. English targeted Barron for more than a year and followed him throughout the summer at AAU tournaments.

If anything, it showed that English respected the entire recruiting process, and Barron had some real interest from other schools. Maybe Rich wanted to do all of his research and such before committing. It just so happened to be a few days before signing period commences.

Other than the kid Jace Posey from Houston, I believe English landed all of the kids he was "targeting" this recruiting cycle.

Unless there are any transfers, this concludes our class as Ball, White, and Barron will replace Singleton, Bailey, and Cooper.

OP
G

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

A-10 paint play is less rigorous than the ACC, hoping Ojiako finds it more to his liking. He’s a big body and there’s value in that even though as noted KE clearly is building a perimeter-focused attack for life after Josh.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I'm really sorry you are being forced to watch VT, obviously against your will. ;)

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
A-10 paint play is less rigorous than the ACC, hoping Ojiako finds it more to his liking. He’s a big body and there’s value in that even though as noted KE clearly is building a perimeter-focused attack for life after Josh.
Its obviously not as rigorous but you still get guys who can play at a high major level in the A10 all across the board so it can't be that much of a step down.

That said, maybe its enough of a step down that he can be a good contributor. Either that or he will be a big body to help Josh now, and they'll bring in someone else for him to be behind in another year. We'll see.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
welcome Rich! this is a huge signing for us because he brings some unquestioned size at the guard position. Kim and Handy the strength and conditioning coach will trim down his body fat and get him into great shape.

I don't think this was an "out of the blue" commitment. English targeted Barron for more than a year and followed him throughout the summer at AAU tournaments.

If anything, it showed that English respected the entire recruiting process, and Barron had some real interest from other schools. Maybe Rich wanted to do all of his research and such before committing. It just so happened to be a few days before signing period commences.

Other than the kid Jace Posey from Houston, I believe English landed all of the kids he was "targeting" this recruiting cycle.

Unless there are any transfers, this concludes our class as Ball, White, and Barron will replace Singleton, Bailey, and Cooper.
I fully expect we will have at least 5 roster spots turnover, if not closer to 7-8. This class is far from done, and a lot of that work SHOULD be done in the transfer portal.

If I was the student body every time this unstoppable young phenom hit a three we would put up pictures of famous Barrons with a number on it. Like 1 would have Barron Munchausen on it, 2 would have Timothy Dalton from Flash Gordon on it, Three would have Barron Corbin on it, Four would have hairy balls on it, Five would have Andrew Carnegie on it, six would have Barron Trump on it, and so on until Rich buried his tenth three-pointer of the night to defeat vcu and our new sponsor Red Baron Pizza would hurl frozen pizzas into the crowd and there would be much rejoicing

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Sacha Baron Cohen Trump GIF by Stan.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
If I was the student body every time this unstoppable young phenom hit a three we would put up pictures of famous Barrons with a number on it. Like 1 would have Barron Munchausen on it, 2 would have Timothy Dalton from Flash Gordon on it, Three would have Barron Corbin on it, Four would have hairy balls on it, Five would have Andrew Carnegie on it, six would have Barron Trump on it, and so on until Rich buried his tenth three-pointer of the night to defeat vcu and our new sponsor Red Baron Pizza would hurl frozen pizzas into the crowd and there would be much rejoicing

Holy Shnike, you just described my dream last night exactly as it happened.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD YOU EVIL WIZARD!!!

Holy Shnike, you just described my dream last night exactly as it happened.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD YOU EVIL WIZARD!!!

I wasnt the student body in my dreams last night but there were definitely student bodies. Have you seen the 1984 movie Hell Behind the Bars on Amazon Prime? I was watching that late last night and it definitely made my dreams more sexy

No I thought this plan up during my company's Monday morning staff meeting 1030-1145 I like to be on the boards then until its my turn to talk

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I wasnt the student body in my dreams last night but there were definitely student bodies. Have you seen the 1984 movie Hell Behind the Bars on Amazon Prime? I was watching that late last night and it definitely made my dreams more sexy

Missed that one so far. I did rent Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-A-Rama on VHS in 1988, though.

I'm guessing a similar style of character development and plot arc.