Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

ephoops

Starter
Now that this is out there publicly, I can tell you a pretty cool story.

I produce Tennessee's weekly coaches call-in show, Vol Calls. Rick Barnes is a frequent on-site guest, and last night he came out and spent 30 minutes with us to wrap up the season, wish the Lady Vols good luck, etc. He absolutely did not have to do this given our early tournament exit, but that's the kind of guy Rick is.

He knows that I'm a Mason grad, so we talk about them once or twice a year. Before the show, I asked if the rumors of Kim English to Mason were true, and he said that he thought they would get a deal done. He had recently talked with Brad, and thought Kim had a good chance. So we go through the show, and afterwards Barnes was hanging out with a couple of us as he typically does, and his phone starts ringing. He looks at his phone, smiles at me, and shows me that Kim English is calling him. Sure enough, he was calling to let him know that the deal was done.

Barnes is thrilled for him, and believes he will be extremely successful. He echo'd his own positive thoughts on the Mason job and his time there, said that he considers the DMV the best recruiting area in the world, and also told me the story of George Johnson trying to convince him not to take the Providence job.

It's a great day to be a Patriot.

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Goff's tweets--most recent first:

Steven Goff
@SoccerInsider

·
12m

English, 32, is a Baltimore native, played at Missouri, coached at Tulsa and Colorado before Tennessee under former GMU coach Rick Barnes.

Show this thread

[URL='https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider']Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider[/URL]
14m
Others under consideration to some degree included Chris Caputo (Miami asst), Pat Kelsey (Winthrop) and former NBA player Mike Miller.

[URL='https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider']Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider[/URL]
·
19m

College basketball news: George Mason has hired Tennessee assistant Kim English to guide the men's squad. He replaces Dave Paulsen. #masonmbb

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1374376227788648450

OP
Patriot8

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Love Barnes.

If a couple UT players decide to hit the portal looking for more minutes, maybe Big Ticket Gaines or even Anosike, wouldn't mind if CKE snapped them up.
Believe Anosike is staying. I'd love to have Ticket. The best part about this whole transfer portal situation is we now have a guy who has walked into every AAU event looking at the best players in the gym. He went head to head with blue bloods on the recruiting trail, and he won. There are undoubtedly guys who he recruited at UC or UT that he didn't land, that have entered the portal looking for a better situation. As he said in his Tennessee introductory press conference, he recruits "everyone". Hopefully we see that effort pay off in a big time way.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I have been quiet but I am beyond excited for English.

We have ALL asked for a young, enthusiastic, up and comer, recruiter who can help the program that we all love (in different ways) on the court. He is going to need help with X and Os as a first time coach, but if he can recruit even 25% of how we think we all can, hes going to do some big things at George Mason.

Its a great day, and a great birthday present for my dad as well, who knows how much I hate losing.

We've all asked for an "all in move", sure we don't have a lazy river in our practice facility, or suites in our arena, but we hired what I consider the most important thing for ANY basketball program. A COACH. It all starts with him.

I'm super super stoked, and I look forward to watching the program ascend from mediocrity to championship caliber over the next few years.

The next question I have is how much is the contract because I suspect he did not come cheap.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Believe Anosike is staying. I'd love to have Ticket. The best part about this whole transfer portal situation is we now have a guy who has walked into every AAU event looking at the best players in the gym. He went head to head with blue bloods on the recruiting trail, and he won. There are undoubtedly guys who he recruited at UC or UT that he didn't land, that have entered the portal looking for a better situation. As he said in his Tennessee introductory press conference, he recruits "everyone". Hopefully we see that effort pay off in a big time way.

Given his family ties, Pons going pro, and has transferred once already, I wouldn't expect Anosike to hit the portal either. But to go from averaging 33 MPG last year to finishing this season at about 3 MPG, you have to hold open the possibility.

I also like that English may have ins w/players that weren't quite SEC level but would do great in the A-10. Players like Jai Lewis and Will Thomas who weren't tall enough, too heavy/thin.

Masonfan3

Starter
kim english.png

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Goff's tweets--most recent first:

Steven Goff
@SoccerInsider

·
12m

English, 32, is a Baltimore native, played at Missouri, coached at Tulsa and Colorado before Tennessee under former GMU coach Rick Barnes.

Show this thread

Steven Goff
@SoccerInsider

14m
Others under consideration to some degree included Chris Caputo (Miami asst), Pat Kelsey (Winthrop) and former NBA player Mike Miller.

Steven Goff
@SoccerInsider

·
19m

College basketball news: George Mason has hired Tennessee assistant Kim English to guide the men's squad. He replaces Dave Paulsen. #masonmbb
Mike Miller? Interesting.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Member of the athletic department:

"Mason friends and supporters - LET'S GO!! This is ALL IN effort that needs everyone to get in or BACK in the mix."

Makes you think those donation numbers weren't looking too swell...
Yeah I have to imagine they absolutely plummeted further than they already were. I'd recommend that anyone who gives half a damn donate something today. Even if it's 50 bucks, do something to let the AD know that you are paying attention and approve of the hire.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Member of the athletic department:

"Mason friends and supporters - LET'S GO!! This is ALL IN effort that needs everyone to get in or BACK in the mix."

Makes you think those donation numbers weren't looking too swell...

I think its just an appeal. I'm sure donation numbers are down for various reasons.

I want to know how much he’s getting paid!

My guess starts at 800k but I'm sure that'll come out. This is a big move though man! Hope you are as stoked as all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.