Goodbye Josh Oduro

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You may have enjoyed watching Schwartz launch shot after shot and never see the bench while the team spiraled to 9th place but I'd rather see a coach develop guys instead of starting over every year
He is 3 weeks into his first offseason and pulled a 4 star and 3 star freshman with 3/4 roster spots open from DP’s D3 athletes leaving the program (which we all wanted whether you outwardly say it like me or just wish it like most). You want him to waste what could be Ticket and Joshs last year by grabbing exclusively freshmen who need time to develop rather than guys ready to play? That’s how we stay in this shitty time suck of the past 10 years. Transfer portal is a different ball game and you either don’t understand much or you are an odd troll.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
All right, all right, let's not clog up the Oduro thread w/giving this clown to much attention.

Back to the topic of the thread which is Josh Oduro.

And here's caricaturejoe's original comments on the Josh Oduro commitment, who he didn't want.

[Josh Oduro] Fat and raw, DP making moves!

Oduro is a project at best

Real world class evaluator this one.
clown-face.png

masonjoe

Starter
Schwartz, for those following at home, would be D'Shawn Schwartz whose 15.5 points was second on the team and 10th overall in the A10. By launching "shot after shot" caricaturejoe is referring to his 46% FG% (2nd on the team among those averaging +8 Min. per game) and 38% 3P%.

Keep digging, Joe! Just a few more shovel-fulls of your posts and you'll dug yourself out of the clown hole you're in.
And he's now gone and they are no where near competitive in the A-10 who just got vastly more competitive with new coaches this offseason. Enough with the one year rentals they are not a year or 2 away...

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
And he's now gone and they are no where near competitive in the A-10 who just got vastly more competitive with new coaches this offseason. Enough with the one year rentals they are not a year or 2 away...
if we had any PG worth a damn last year and a backup big man we would have been a top 4 seed easily. Oduro was 1st team, Schwartz was our best scorer quite a few games and Cooper and Ticket were great pieces. We beat 3 of the top 5 teams last season including 1/2 that made NCAA tournament. Our best guy off the bench was probably a walk on. This take has got to be a troll

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
if we had any PG worth a damn last year and a backup big man we would have been a top 4 seed easily. Oduro was 1st team, Schwartz was our best scorer quite a few games and Cooper and Ticket were great pieces. We beat 3 of the top 5 teams last season including 1/2 that made NCAA tournament. Our best guy off the bench was probably a walk on. This take has got to be a troll
Yep trolls gonna troll. It’s why I have him on ignore.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not being nearly competitive is overstating it: we had two games cancelled against two of the worst teams in the conference. We probably win both of those. Missed Oduro against GW and @Richmond. Definitely beat GW and would have probably beat Richmond with him. That’s 4 wins and would have made us 11-7.

English admitted to overloading too many games early season (but he really wanted the UMD game so rolled with it). Had he spaced those games out a little bit, they probably win at least 2 of them (JMU, Washington, SD St.).

And then there’s the ODU game where we had no point guard. Don’t know if XJ would have been enough to overcome a bad game overall, but it might have been enough.

That’s 3 more wins.

Obviously you can’t count on all of that, but schedule congestion, bad timing on injuries and a few missed layups/missed assignments and this team could have easily been something like 21-9 (11-7 in conference). And we weren’t nearly competitive?!

Now let’s look at the recruiting situation. English tried to keep the big three together (Oduro, Miller, Kolek). Millet and Kolek both decided to transfer, and given AJ and Greene were definitely not coming back, English had to replace 4 starters. You don’t do that with undecided freshmen in April. He takes three transfers (Gaines, Cooper, Schwartz) to replace AJ, Miller, Greene. XJ becomes the fifth starter (already on the team). And he takes two freshman in Jones and Mbaye (Mbaye decommits and goes to junior college — probably because of his transcripts but who knows). So English is forced to take another transfer (Kabimba) to fill out the roster.

This year, he signs freshmen Fernandez, Dinkins, and Walker. Walker decided to do something stupid which turned into something deadly and now might spend the rest of his life in prison. So he signs another freshman in Peter Oduro and a transfer in Bailey Jr.

He currently has three open scholarships and has offers out to freshman forward Nnaji and JUCO red-shirt freshman Agee (2 or 3 years of eligibility depending on whether he wants to stay in college for 6 years).

So so far in two seasons he’s signed 6 freshman (4 will be admitted) and 5 transfers with 3 open scholarships.

NewPatriot

Starter
And he's now gone

He is NOT GONE YET. He's testing the draft waters because he did not sign with an agent. He will get assessed by nba front office personnel and scouts. They may say, go to the g-league or return to college.

If he returns, he will come.back with the knowledge that he can play against this year's NBA prospects and know what areas to improve.

If by chance, he goes to the nba...mason can leverage his success to bring more talent.

Mason32

Starter
He is NOT GONE YET. He's testing the draft waters because he did not sign with an agent. He will get assessed by nba front office personnel and scouts. They may say, go to the g-league or return to college.

If he returns, he will come.back with the knowledge that he can play against this year's NBA prospects and know what areas to improve.

If by chance, he goes to the nba...mason can leverage his success to bring more talent.
That was referring to Schwartz

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
What is everyone smoking? Even after Josh posted that CKE tweeted about how going through the draft process his junior year focused him on what he needed to be league ready his senior year. Is there a chance he can get drafted? Sure. Is it likely? I'm no NBA scout but I doubt it.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What is everyone smoking? Even after Josh posted that CKE tweeted about how going through the draft process his junior year focused him on what he needed to be league ready his senior year. Is there a chance he can get drafted? Sure. Is it likely? I'm no NBA scout but I doubt it.

He talked about this on the coach’s show. It was pretty obvious Oduro is coming back for one more season and the plan is to try to get him good enough to be drafted (not a lottery pick).

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
But what if he doesn't come back. WHAT IF?!?!?!

giphy.gif

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
"Everyone" being exactly one dude.
In my experience when letters get written with the language he used "memories of a lifetime" and "next step on my journey" it generally does not bode well.

I've had ex-girlfriends drop similar-sounding lines on me and those relationships never re-kindled. They just stopped calling.