Welcome Jason Douglas-Stanley

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER also others called it too

Jason Douglas-Stanley, a seldom-used guard at George Mason, has committed to Manhattan. Sit one, play two for the 6-foot-2 Mount Vernon native who played for
@bcimmino1
in high school. #MAACHoops #JasperNation

Awesome for him. Sucks he has to sit for a year, but maybe that will be of benefit to him.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/...uglas-stanley-transfers-manhattan/2909378001/:

"Manhattan coach Steve Masiello was one of the first coaches who offered Douglas-Stanley a scholarship in high school.

'I have had a good relationship with Coach Mas since high school,' Douglas-Stanley said on his social media accounts. 'I believe he is a great coach with a great plan. I believe that coming home and playing for the Jaspers will be good for me and my personal development for the rest of my collegiate career.'"

"Douglas-Stanley developed into the most prolific outside shooter during Bob Cimmino's three decades of success coaching Mount Vernon. Douglas-Stanley's most impressive individual feat came when he scored 50 points against Wadleigh to shatter Sam Williams' long-standing Mount Vernon scoring record.

He finished that season averaging 28.7 points per game and hit a program-record 100 3-pointers while shooting 43.7% from beyond the arc.

Douglas-Stanley's success never translated at George Mason. He shuttled in and out of the rotation during two seasons there, playing in just 39 games. He averaged 1.6 points and 0.5 rebounds per game, and, most surprisingly, shot just 25.0% from 3-point range."

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Wonder what Coach Mas will do differently for JDS.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Longer leash, more minutes, set plays to get him open looks. It’s not that difficult really.

Seems like alot for just one player. Guess you are saying entire offense will run thru JDS. As long as he scissor kicks when he shoots, his % and game will be similar to what it was here. If he thrives, then DP should be sued for regression of player development.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Longer leash, more minutes, set plays to get him open looks. It’s not that difficult really.

Exactly. Imagine a scenario where JDS played the same minutes that Otis did his freshman year. Let's say he got 30+ minutes and got the green light to take a dozen shots a game. Something tells me we would have seen a player more resembling who he was in high school rather than the underused kid we saw the last two years.

And, yes, I've heard the stories about him not hitting shots in practice, but to say he was ever given a fair chance on a really crappy, injury-riddled team this year would be disingenuous. Some athletes were born to thrive as a designated hitter or super sub, but JDS just doesn't strike me as that kind of player.

Given the right situation where he can get the right minutes and volume of shots to thrive, I think he'll become the player we thought we were getting. It sounds like Manhattan is that right situation for him.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He’ll also be playing with and against lesser players. That will help.
Definitely will. I think the minutes + knowing he’s not going to get pulled after a second missed three will really do a lot to help his confidence more than anything else.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Seems like alot for just one player. Guess you are saying entire offense will run thru JDS. As long as he scissor kicks when he shoots, his % and game will be similar to what it was here. If he thrives, then DP should be sued for regression of player development.

I mean it’s not really a lot to ask for for someone who is billed as a shooter. It’s kinda par for the course for how you set up a 2 guard for success who can’t necessarily make his own shot with the ball. I don’t think the entire offense needs to run through him, I just think that any offense needs to have a couple go to set plays that can get your shooters open looks to get them in a rhythm and we didn’t really have that.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Exactly. Imagine a scenario where JDS played the same minutes that Otis did his freshman year. Let's say he got 30+ minutes and got the green light to take a dozen shots a game. Something tells me we would have seen a player more resembling who he was in high school rather than the underused kid we saw the last two years.

And, yes, I've heard the stories about him not hitting shots in practice, but to say he was ever given a fair chance on a really crappy, injury-riddled team this year would be disingenuous. Some athletes were born to thrive as a designated hitter or super sub, but JDS just doesn't strike me as that kind of player.

Given the right situation where he can get the right minutes and volume of shots to thrive, I think he'll become the player we thought we were getting. It sounds like Manhattan is that right situation for him.

Agree with what you are saying in terms of minutes, but also keep in mind when he did play he did shoot quite a bit in my opinion (granted we dont know the situations specifically, but I always remember him trying to shoot a lot in his few minutes. At Duquense he was 0 for 4 from 3 in 4 minutes as an example without recalling specifically when he shot them or the situation).

I'd have to think the volume of minutes might be the problem versus the quantity of shots. But I also have to think if he can't get minutes on a team that suffered injuries and lacked depth, theres something deeper there.

Oh well, I wish him luck at Manhattan. Hope he does really well there.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

I know it has become clever around these parts to denigrate the importance of practice, but the fact is that’s where guys earn playing time.

If you’re shooting 23% on charted 3s in team workouts, why in the world would the staff give you more minutes to miss more shots in a game?

Unless, like Otis, you bring a lot of other stuff to the table even when you’re not shooting it well.

No offense to him, but JDS had two years’ worth of chances to prove he could make an impact here and he didn’t do it.

That's the easy answer. The eye test alone suggested J-DS was not a fit at GMU. He was a one-dimensional player at GMU and didn't make his shots when he was in the lineup. He also had a weird scissor-kick with his legs as well that altered his shots on jump shots coming off screens. He was probably the same level of player as Rashad Whack was years ago. Whack transferred and played well at MSM. I expect J-DS to do the same at Manhattan.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
That's the easy answer. The eye test alone suggested J-DS was not a fit at GMU. He was a one-dimensional player at GMU and didn't make his shots when he was in the lineup. He also had a weird scissor-kick with his legs as well that altered his shots on jump shots coming off screens. He was probably the same level of player as Rashad Whack was years ago. Whack transferred and played well at MSM. I expect J-DS to do the same at Manhattan.
I think you need to let shooters shoot. He never had the chance to get into a rhythm. Shooters need to see the ball go in the basket and things start clicking. But like you said mason never had the luxury of waiting for his shot to fall. He was one dimensional.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think you need to let shooters shoot. He never had the chance to get into a rhythm. Shooters need to see the ball go in the basket and things start clicking. But like you said mason never had the luxury of waiting for his shot to fall. He was one dimensional.

I mean, I hear you, but Tim Burns, a walk-on, played about 7 mpg at Mason and he shot 38.9% from 3. He would come in off the bench, get a screen and launch a few 3s (and hit them more often then not) then go back to the bench.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I know it has become clever around these parts to denigrate the importance of practice, but the fact is that’s where guys earn playing time.

Come on, Jim, I'm not Allen Iverson. I know practice is important. I also know that sometimes that doesn't translate to games in both good ways and bad. How many times did Dave brag about how great our practices were the days before a double-digit drubbing?

I just see JDS as one of those shooters who needs a high volume of shots to get into a groove. And if those minutes and shots weren't available at Mason, then it was wise for he and the school to part ways. Per Pablo's post, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him thrive like Rashad Whack did when he got a bigger opportunity at another school.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Come on, Jim, I'm not Allen Iverson. I know practice is important. I also know that sometimes that doesn't translate to games in both good ways and bad. How many times did Dave brag about how great our practices were the days before a double-digit drubbing?

I just see JDS as one of those shooters who needs a high volume of shots to get into a groove. And if those minutes and shots weren't available at Mason, they it was wise for he and the school to part ways. Per Pablo's post, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him thrive like Rashad Whack did when he got a bigger opportunity at another school.

It just seems like people are looking to blame someone for Jason not getting more playing time. I’ve said it a hundred times, if he could’ve shot the ball even a little better he would’ve been out there. He never even had one game where he went off and showed flashes ... he just didn’t get it done.

If Manhattan is willing to let him shoot it 30 times a game, good luck to them.