Welcome Coach Paulsen!

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Out of morbid curiosity, I might tune in to hear what he says. I'm not expecting much but I would like to hear him point out at least 3-4 things that I, a mere layperson, am not seeing, or not seeing through the proper lense.

This guy was paid nearly $1M to identify weakeness, exploit said weaknesses, and react to changes in a sensible fashion. If there is any true coaching acumen, it should present itself over the course of two hours.

I'm not expecting much.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
But will he be chugging a diet dew is the question???

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
"The sound a Mountain Dew can makes when it opens."

Carnac.jpg

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I assume that any compensation he receives from Fordham this season is subject to offset in accordance with his GMU contract.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I'm pretty sure that covering the game is a part-time gig for that network and not something that would mean he no longer is an advisor to the Fordham head coach. Besides that, being at the game allows him to scout 2 teams that Fordham will be playing later this year.

Good luck to him!

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Interestingly, his twitter account does not specifically indicate employment with Fordham:

Dave Paulsen​

2,818 Tweets

See new Tweets

Opens profile photo

Follow
Dave Paulsen

@PaulsenDave

27 Year Collegiate Head Basketball Coach (491-305). Coaching and Leadership Consultant, College Basketball analyst for USA Network

Joined April 2012
622 Following
5,630 Followers

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Interestingly, his twitter account does not specifically indicate employment with Fordham:

Dave Paulsen​

2,818 Tweets

See new Tweets

Opens profile photo
Follow
Dave Paulsen

@PaulsenDave

27 Year Collegiate Head Basketball Coach (491-305). Coaching and Leadership Consultant, College Basketball analyst for USA Network

Joined April 2012
622 Following
5,630 Followers
Just speculating here. Sounds like Dave Paulsen was paid a large one time consultant fee. To justify the large price tag Fordham named him special advisor.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Out of morbid curiosity, I might tune in to hear what he says. I'm not expecting much but I would like to hear him point out at least 3-4 things that I, a mere layperson, am not seeing, or not seeing through the proper lense.

This guy was paid nearly $1M to identify weakeness, exploit said weaknesses, and react to changes in a sensible fashion. If there is any true coaching acumen, it should present itself over the course of two hours.

I'm not expecting much.
So I listened to Paulsen as the color analyst during the Dayton/GW game. As expected, I didn't come away impressed with his "analysis." Just a lot of observations e.g., "Dayton's length is causing GW problems."

Well, is there anything GW could do to counter this advantage, coach? Put the ball on the floor and take it to the hoop? Dribble, drive, and kick out?

"Dayton's pressing is causing GW to turn the ball over."

We can see that, coach. Are there offensive schemes that would help address this problem? Are GW's players not properly communicating with each other? Should GW employ more screens? Look to throw the ball over the top more? Something else?

Paulsen aside, GW looks awful. No energy and selfish play.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Dave was well-within norms for tv color analysts and far less annoying than most. Naturally he was complimentary to both coaches but was unusually honest in responding to the other announcer asking "what can we expect in the upcoming vcu-LaSalle game" which was about to follow on the network.

Dave said something like that vcu was a top 2 or 3 defensive team nationally and LaSalle has struggled and unless something changed, that game likely would turn out as one-sided as the game they were covering (which was already out of hand). Certainly not hyping the upcoming game, much to the consternation of network execs, I would suspect!

I didn't hear any mention of being an advisor to the Fordham head coach this year, but the other announcer more than once made mention of him being at Mason for 6 yrs and Bucknell before that.

He did express that while meeting with the GW and Dayton coaches and players in prepping for the game, that he missed coaching and the relationships you form with your players. And indicated a desire to return to head coaching in the future.