Upon Further Review...

JBiggs

Starter
Yeah, I wouldn't be thrilled about that type of player for the last 2014 scholarship. I'd be ok with it for 2015, but we need offense.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
They already have a project at center in the 2014 class

It's hard to find much information on Thompson's JUCO stats, but he did put up some pretty impressive numbers in this recap I found from a game a few weeks ago.

HARCUM NAILS 13 THREES, DEFEATS BALTIMORE CITY

Frederick, Md. (December 7, 2013) -- Jordan Goodman, Hakeem Rogers, and Travis Hester combined to knock down 13 three pointers, and Harcum College used a 56-point second half to pull away from Baltimore City Community College for a 93-74 victory on the opening night of the Roy Rogers Classic in Frederick, Maryland. The win improved Harcum to 10-1 on the season and was the Bears third consecutive win.

Goodman put in 17 of his 25 points in the second half when Harcum opened up a 37-36 halftime lead, pulling ahead by as many as 25 points (75-50). Goodman and Rogers, who added 19 points, each knocked down 5 three point shots, while Travis Hester added 3 threes and finished with 13 points. Shevon Thompson also added 13 points and 21 rebounds. Timmone Whatley and Ibn Muhammad each dished out 7 assists.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Who knows if he has a scholarship offer with the reported interest. The forum posting says they have interest in him but I think that was around the time when Trey Porter committed. I think the main focus for the last 2014 scholarship is Eubanks for obvious reasons.

Harry

Starter
Good point, Harry, but I'm just talking about adding some more muscle so he can bang more in the paint. He's a very athletic kid, so I don't think another 10-15 pounds would affect his agility much if at all.
I understand that muscle is good, but would like to point out that Charles Barkely became an NBA superstar when he no longer was the Auburn "Round Mound of Rebound." Just not sure more weight always equals more muscle.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Based on what I've read, Hewitt will not likely sign a JUCO transfer with just 2 years of eligibility remaining unless there is a specific need and the player is projected to be an impact player quickly.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Based on what I've read, Hewitt will not likely sign a JUCO transfer with just 2 years of eligibility remaining unless there is a specific need and the player is projected to be an impact player quickly.

Not wise to be this stubborn. Some good PG's have come out of juco schools in the past.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not wise to be this stubborn. Some good PG's have come out of juco schools in the past.

But it also makes sense. If you take a junior JUCO transfer and it takes him a half a season to a season to get acclimated to division 1, you've got him for a season, a season-and-a-half at best. Or you could take a guy like Marquise Moore, who seems to be acclimating just fine into division 1 and just might become a 3-and-a-half year starter for Mason. Not that Moore is a finished product by any means, but a JUCO transfer who isn't ready to be an impact player right away wouldn't be either.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
But it also makes sense. If you take a junior JUCO transfer and it takes him a half a season to a season to get acclimated to division 1, you've got him for a season, a season-and-a-half at best. Or you could take a guy like Marquise Moore, who seems to be acclimating just fine into division 1 and just might become a 3-and-a-half year starter for Mason. Not that Moore is a finished product by any means, but a JUCO transfer who isn't ready to be an impact player right away wouldn't be either.

I totaly agree with the timeframe and risks of a juco that you refer to, but we have had a major need for even an avg PG to come in and help. With a system that relies so heavily on dribble drive and dish principals, one has to wonder what the hell Hewitt was thinking bringing in AO and not a PG in his first year. Oh well lets forget the past.

It really sucks that we as fans are held hostage, so to speak, until a really really good strong, tall, fast, good finisher, good shooting PG, aka a five star stud arrives to relieve Hewitt of his coaching burdens. #ainthappin

Bricker

Starter
With a system that relies so heavily on dribble drive and dish principals, one has to wonder what the hell Hewitt was thinking bringing in AO and not a PG in his first year. Oh well lets forget the past.

Do we really have to wonder about this? Hewitt was hired in late spring and didn't need a PG right away since he was essentially working with the team he inherited. Perhaps you remember that "give Pearson the ball" worked fine until he went AWOL in Richmond?

Harry

Starter
Do we really have to wonder about this? Hewitt was hired in late spring and didn't need a PG right away since he was essentially working with the team he inherited. Perhaps you remember that "give Pearson the ball" worked fine until he went AWOL in Richmond?
Pearson's Richmond problem was the beard...he shaved it for the POY media photos. Like Sampson, he lost his powers when opponents no longer had to "fear the beard."

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Do we really have to wonder about this? Hewitt was hired in late spring and didn't need a PG right away since he was essentially working with the team he inherited.

Hindsight being what it is, Hewitt probably rushed into convincing Edwards to keep his commitment after Coach L left — although he really had no choice at the time. Not only was Corey considered a very good PG at one of the best high schools in the country, but Hewitt had already lost two guards to transfer in Hancock and Whack (and Gray was reportedly wavering as well).

After convincing Edwards to stay, he really had no choice but to throw him into the fire as a freshman with Hancock gone and Cornelius suspended the first 10 games of the season. Also keep in mind that Allen had never really run the point at the college level, so he was literally handed a roster with no experienced ball-handler.

I appreciate that Hewitt gave Corey an opportunity to work things out, but not realizing sooner that he was not the answer we hoped he would be set us back at that position for several years. Now we have no choice but to rely on another freshman to fill the void at arguably the most important position on the court.

Bricker

Starter
Hindsight being what it is, Hewitt probably rushed into convincing Edwards to keep his commitment after Coach L left — although he really had no choice at the time. Not only was Corey considered a very good PG at one of the best high schools in the country, but Hewitt had already lost two guards to transfer in Hancock and Whack (and Gray was reportedly wavering as well).

After convincing Edwards to stay, he really had no choice but to throw him into the fire as a freshman with Hancock gone and Cornelius suspended the first 10 games of the season. Also keep in mind that Allen had never really run the point at the college level, so he was literally handed a roster with no experienced ball-handler.

I appreciate that Hewitt gave Corey an opportunity to work things out, but not realizing sooner that he was not the answer we hoped he would be set us back at that position for several years. Now we have no choice but to rely on another freshman to fill the void at arguably the most important position on the court.

Sure, this is reasonable. But I don't think the failure here is simply realizing too late that Corey wasn't the answer. The "failure" lies in the recruiting. Hewitt & Co. have gone after talented PGs. They just haven't landed any yet.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Sure, this is reasonable. But I don't think the failure here is simply realizing too late that Corey wasn't the answer. The "failure" lies in the recruiting. Hewitt & Co. have gone after talented PGs. They just haven't landed any yet.

Bricker, you are correct that we have gone after and missed out on a few PGs, but I would say Marquise Moore looks like a very good signing even if he isn't as heralded as some of the others we have missed out on. If we don't get another PG with our last scholarship for next season, we absolutely have to land one for 2015.

Bricker

Starter
Bricker, you are correct that we have gone after and missed out on a few PGs, but I would say Marquise Moore looks like a very good signing even if he isn't as heralded as some of the others we have missed out on. If we don't get another PG with our last scholarship for next season, we absolutely have to land one for 2015.

Yeah I would say so. Marquise has been a very pleasant surprise. You know you've been through a rough couple of years as a fan when you're impressed by the fearlessness of a freshman point guard (as I have been).

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You know you've been through a rough couple of years as a fan when you're impressed by the fearlessness of a freshman point guard (as I have been).

Haha, no kidding. Sadly, that is the type of player I thought we were getting with Edwards. He just seemed unflappable when he was at Christ the King, but we really haven't seen that side of him the college level. In fact, instead of being fearless, he has mostly playerd scared, which leads to indecision, turnovers and a very stagnant offense.

Moore obviously has a ton to learn, but I do love that he has some swagger. The more confidence he gets, the more he will feel comfortable pushing the ball up the court and driving to the basket. And that, obviously, will open things up dramatically for our perimeter and frontcourt players.

Last edited:

Harry

Starter
Moore definitely seems comfortable going to the hoop and actually finishes his shots. It is not clear whether he has a jumper that will force teams to not play off him by five feet. From what I've seen, he is least as good as Roddy Peters, the heralded Maryland freshman point guard.